I posted a message in the 950 saloon about my wife and I struggling with the complexity of entertainment systems. After suffering with my current system for a couple of years, I have some ideas what I want.

I would like a great quality *preamp* where the number one engineering goal is simplicity. It is simple to operate and does not overwhelm the casual user with too many choices, features, or bleeding edge sound technology. I want a system where the User Interface is centered on the activity, such as "watching a movie" and therefore more intuitive to operate. Here is a rough idea what I have in mind.

Very good quality PreAmp -- price point is between $400 and $900. It is engineered for harmony with all the OUTLAW amps. It appeals to those of us who want close-to-audiophile sound as we can get and still offers value. Total system simplicity is the number one goal, it is designed for:
-- watching TV programs (cable/SAT)
-- watching movies (DVD)
-- listening to music (CD and DVD)
-- listening to music (satelite feed)
-- listening to music files (USB stick)
-- listening to the radio (FM and AM)
-- listening to an AUX device

It is NOT designed to support
-- the latest and greatest breakthroughs in sound technology (acronyms other than DD or DTS).
-- VCRs, TVs with composite video
-- tape decks, phono, misc video sources other that AUX support
-- zone/additional room crap
-- be a video switcher -- supports S-Video only!! with a passthrough for the SAT/Cable signal (doesn't have to be powered on for the SAT/Cable signal to pass through to the TV).

DSP simplicity:
Based on the signal source, only TWO DSP modes are offered:
-- DD/DTS 3 channel mode (for installations without surrounds)
-- 5 channel stereo

Operationally, it caters to our beloved spouses. Here are my quick thoughts on the Pre-amp controls. Notice how the labels are activity centered. This is in response to my wife's questions like "So I want to listen to the radio, how do I do that".

Each time a user selects an "activity" the system takes on the "default" setting that supports that activity. Defaults are set in initial setup -- talk about that below.

Activity centered Control Panel (rough ideas). Large knob cycles the following on a display:
-- Watch TV // (SAT/Cable/TIVO)defaults to 5 channel Pro Logic unless Dolby Digital is detected. DSP option is DolbyDigital 3 channel. 5 channel stereo and 2 channel stereo are available (these cannot be set as a default)

-- Listen to a CD // Sound options include two channel stereo, Direct (bypass tone control) and DSP 5 channel stereo.

-- Listen to the Radio // (AM/FM) defaults to stereo for FM, two channel mono for AM. DSP option is 5 channel stereo. Both AM and FM tuner are superior compared to average receivers. 8 presets per band -- NO MORE. Easy access to the preferred station.

-- Watch a Movie DVD // defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1. Other processor option is DTS 5.1. Sound options include DSP Dolby/DTS 3 channel (LFR). Also include ProLogic, 5 channel stereo, two channel stereo (these two *cannot* be set as default).

-- Listen to a Music DVD -- // defaults to DD 5.1 unless DTS is detected. DSP speaker options are Dolby/DTS 3 channel (LFR). Sound options include 5 channel stereo and two channel stereo (these two *cannot* be set as default).

-- Listen to Music files // Source is the USB port, USB memory stick. Sound options include two channel stereo, Direct (bypass tone controls) and DSP 5 channel stereo.

-- Use an Auxillary device //(for those who really want to add a tape deck, S-VHS, or phono stage.) // Defaults to Stereo. Optional 5 channel DSP is available.

An "Option knob" cycles through a menu with the optional items that are available for that activity. For example, if a user selected "Listen to a CD", the option knob would have "Stereo (default), Direct, 5 channel stereo. NOTE: If the configuration has only 3 speakers (LFR), the five channel stereo option would not be offered as as a choice.

Features with your spouse in mind:

-- Dialog volume control -- simple method to increase/decrease the center channel volume while using DD/DTS.

-- A elegant method to power-on or power-off the ALL the components in the system.

-- A remote focuses only on basic system operations e.g. volume, play, pause, stop, etc.
-- Customizable online help system.
Remote includes a "How to" button for *customizable* HTML onscreen help e.g.

What would you like to do?
A: Watch a TV program or pay-per-view movie
B: Play a movie DVD
C: Listen to music CD or DVD
D. Listen to the radio
E. Listen to music from the satelite DISH

User selects B. Selection appears upper left corner. Detailed instructions appear that TEACHes the user how to work the system:
1. Insert the DVD in the player, label side is up.
2. Turn the control knob to "Watch a movie" [graphic of control panel and menu]
3. The system should be ready to go. If you want additional sound options, turn the Option knob [graphic of control panel]
4. Using the Remote, press "Play".

Getting radical:
-- Systems are too complicated when they include the User Interface for configuring the system on the front panel and/or the remote. With this preamp, configuation is done on a computer using an open source Java program. The configuration file is saved to a USB memory stick. The configuration is "imported" and saved in the preamp by plugging the USB stick into a preamp USB port. This allows a lot of flexability and keeps the remotes and interface simple.

Additionally, creating a standardized configuarion file system would pave the way for users to share configs over the internet. For example, in a download secton of Outlaw site, you could see the following post:
"This config is customized for 5 large speaker system, no subwoofer, DISH Satelite and a TIVO. I spent a lot of time on the help screens. DVD instructions are brand generic, includes help for no-so-friendly DVD menu's".

-- Consider a hybrid pre-amp with a basic CD/DVD player built in. This may sound hokey to audiophiles -- but I think it could be done and still create a great quality pre-amp. Combining CD/DVD functionality would offer the ability to first detect the disk as a CD or DVD and adjust the menu's accordingly. It would also give a lot more control over the remote.

Wow, I have got to go to work! I got a little excited here.
To summarize:
-- I want a very good quality preamp that offers features my family will actually use. -- I want it to be very very simple to operate and offers still offers really good sound performance.
-- I want to be able to choose my amp.

Let me know what you think.