Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#19270 - 12/03/03 09:25 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
it wouldnt mean nothing, it would merely mean that it is certified.

#19271 - 12/04/03 02:03 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
People have told me that I should be certified.

I don't think that anybody is willing to pay extra for it.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#19272 - 12/04/03 09:45 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Certification by THX may not be important, after all they claim the Specs are the best, there may be others that disagree with THX's claim. However, I would like to see a review or test on Outlaw eauipment by a third party. I really do not care if the outlaw meets THX's standards or not, I would like to know if the Outlaw EQ meets Outlaw's Spec. I can then base my purchases on what is improtant to me, THX or not. I have not read any reviews where actual measurements were made and compared to Outlaw's spec. If such a review exists, please provide mw eith the link.

#19273 - 12/04/03 10:22 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

problem with that paratrooper is that who do you trust as a neutral third-party? i mean i read the reviews that a lot of places make, but that doesnt mean that i would trust them to be 100% accurate though. with most audio, just using the equipment tells you if its good or not, but i cant hear most specs to see if they are a little off or not. i dont care if thx certifies the product or someone else, but theres just not really any other certification.

#19274 - 12/04/03 11:27 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't think there are many actual THX haters here on the forum (can't speak for everyone, so there are probably a couple floating around -- just human nature, right?). I do think that there are a number of people here who don't feel the need to invest in THX and are not convinced that THX is essential. The fact that some of those individuals are very knowledgeable forum regulars (soundhound, PJStiles) carries some weight with me personally, but even that should not negate the fact that there are people here who would like it. Hopefully Outlaw will leave THX in consideration for future products, even if it is not included on a "must have" list.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19275 - 12/04/03 12:20 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
problem with that paratrooper is that who do you trust as a neutral third-party? i mean i read the reviews that a lot of places make, but that doesnt mean that i would trust them to be 100% accurate though.

I measured the original 950 in my lab, and it failed in the noise category. This ultimately led to the "blue dot" 950 we have today, where this problem was fixed once and for all. It met all it's other specs.

I don't think you need to pick a "neutral" 3rd party to do objective tests on specifications - I was prepared to love the 950, but wasn't afraid to point out a fault in the unit. There are lengthy threads on this forum about these tests.

As for sound, the newer 950 (the current "blue dot") does sound a bit warmer than the original unit through it's internal DACs. The CD bypass passed my A/B tests for neutrality while playing 24 bit masters from my digital audio workstation, comparing directly from the workstation verses through the 950 by instaneous switching on a lab grade preamp/switcher.

It's commendable that Outlaw stuck through the lengthy process of tracking down the noise problem and fixing it right. They sent me a prototype of the new unit for me to test, and it passed.

#19276 - 12/04/03 02:30 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
I would trust a National Magazine like Home Theater, that published their test results. If they publish false information, I am sure the Outlaws and other would call their hand. Do you consider THX a third party, how can you trust them?

#19277 - 12/07/03 09:00 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

the key to my statement was neutral third-party. its good to know that you tested the 950 soundhound, but most people wont be able to do that for themselves. when it comes down to taking someones word, i guess that is where you draw the line; who do you believe? thats my whole point, having someone worth trusting to certify the product. imo thats what thx does...

#19278 - 12/08/03 02:11 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
the key to my statement was neutral third-party. its good to know that you tested the 950 soundhound, but most people wont be able to do that for themselves. when it comes down to taking someones word, i guess that is where you draw the line; who do you believe? thats my whole point, having someone worth trusting to certify the product. imo thats what thx does...

I think everyone knows that but not everyone agrees that THX fills the bill of a neutral third party since they have a financial stake through the licensing fees. Also not evryone agrees (as Soundhound stated) that all aspects of the THX certification standard actually promote superior quality reproduction.

As for me, THX certification provides absolutely no reassurance of either sound or build quality since some of the THX certified audio components I have listened to are audibly underwhelming and have a less-than-awe-inspiring build quality. Therefore I am not willing to pay anything extra for what is to me a worthless certification.

#19279 - 12/09/03 11:56 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

its true that thx does not magically make something better. however i would always rather know if something is up to snuff, rather than wonder about it. as far as sound quality and use, etc. you can judge that from using a product. but as far as their honesty goes about accurately rating their specs, the only way is to test. most people do not have means to faithfully test a piece of electronics equipment. i must admit that i am very much into home audio and i would have to go somewhere to test anything other than if i like it. it would be great if someone could figure out exactly how much it costs to license a product under thx. maybe its not so much as you think. and while thx is out to turn a profit, then dont make money by just slapping a label on a product, they actually see if it meets certain criteria. ignorance is bliss, and if you dont know then maybe you would be happier, as for me id rather know everything.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 133 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts