Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#19260 - 12/02/03 11:54 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
my point was that they could bring in a lot of customers that are on the fence, by getting a universally accpeted stamp of approval. saying something doesnt make it so, companies all the time are fudging their specs. i doubt that it costs $50 per piece to have a thx certification, some of the cost would be offset by the selling of more units anyway. there are other certificatons that a piece of electronics goes through, why not skip those too??? im sure that would save some money. i doubt that the new models will be less expensive than their predecessors anyway, but i hope they will be!

#19261 - 12/02/03 12:15 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
there are other certificatons that a piece of electronics goes through, why not skip those too???

Like UL? Not really skippable. (look! new word!) Dolby/DTS certification & testing? Sort of essential for a home theater processor.

While it is true that THX would reassure some buyers, none of us know how much additional capital investment or (equally important) design time might be required to include THX processing and certification. If Outlaw is in a position to be able to include THX in some form without adding $50 to $100 in cost, sacrificing other features, or delaying the project launch, it would be a good decision to include it. But if THX would require them to raise the cost, eliminate some other desirable feature, and/or make the consumer wait an extra month or two for the product to reach market, it would be best to leave THX off. It's because of that possibility that several of us have suggested leaving THX on the "nice but not essential" list.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19262 - 12/02/03 01:35 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
RayBan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Lawn
I would simply like to see a head to head shootout (by a 3rd party) of THX certified Pre/pros against the 950, and other non THX certified equipment. I'm sure the comparisons- both technical and audible would make for some good reading

#19263 - 12/02/03 03:55 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
I’ve been trying to figure the THX question out myself. What is it about THX certification that makes it the “end all” in home theater electronics? I have only one piece of THX equipment in my home theater at this time and it’s the cable from my receiver to my subwoofer…….lol. I only bought it because it was the only one long enough to reach where I wanted to place my sub Also if THX is the top of the line then why is it that many of the people here seem to think that the 950/770 combo is far better than any receiver? A top of the line Denon or Pioneer Elite that is THX Ultra 2 certified should be far better. Do separates make such a drastic difference that THX certification goes right out the window? Don’t get me wrong if I had the available funds I would have a 950/770 combo in my home as fast as they could get it here but I would just like to know what THX certified really means? Why is it so much better? I’m probably starting another war about separates being better than receivers (and vice versa) but I would like some opinions?

Lasher

#19264 - 12/02/03 04:06 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
At one time THX mattered. It doesn't matter any more. Although I think I would jump on a THX certified popcorn machine.

#19265 - 12/02/03 04:31 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

thx certifies that the product passes a certain series of tests that prove that it meets thx specs (which thx says are best). it is a way to validate what a manufacturer says it has and what it really has without having to take someones word for it. the knock against thx is that it adds cost and is not really necessary, because most equipment that is good, meets the specs but just chooses against the thx process to save $$$. thx in and of itself does not make any product better than a non thx one, but it does provide info as to the validity of a manufacturers claims... being an internet only company i think outlaw would see some more sales by adding something that makes most people more comfortable. i mean if you had two products that were identical, one thx certified and one not, wouldnt you buy the thx one just to be sure. the question is at what price would you not be willing to buy the thx one... separates vs receivers are an entirely different beast, but for exampe the denon 5803 is as good as most separates it just lacks some flexibility and appeal of saying i have separates. separates are interesting because they are sometimes upgradeable whereas a receiver hardly ever is, plus you could just buy a new processor keeping your old amp, instead of having to buy a whole new system with each advance. thx also adds some processing options which are typically done by other things as well, i.e. thx ex = dolby digital ex, etc. if i could demo an outlaw against some other product, the need for thx would drop away, but seeing as you have to get it, try it, and then pay to ship it back if you dont like it, thx cert. would make me a little more comfortable as to getting it in the first place. i dont own stock in outlaw or know any of them personally so i dont trust them anymore than any other company, that is why its nice to have a third partys opinion. price is probably what will dictate the choice, but id be willing to spend a LITTLE more for it.

#19266 - 12/02/03 07:29 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I for one am glad that none of the Outlaw products have the THX certification because that would mean that I paid more money for a marketing gimmick. I trust the opinions posted in the saloon much more than I would the opinion of a company (THX) that sells a purely marketing product such as their certification. Outlaws products come with a return policy that lets you compare them with any other product for 30 days. What I'm saying is my 770 puts out 200 watts per channel (according to Outlaw whom i believe) with or without the THX certification and it costs less without it so why pay for it.

#19267 - 12/02/03 09:16 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
soundhound Offline
Desperado

It seems that THX is more interested in certifying car stereos and computer speakers than in maintaining a lofty goal, which was the original intent. It does not take anything extrordinary to meet THX specs, in fact, some of their requirements I would say run contrary to what would produce the best sound. And speaking of sound, THX does not guarantee that the sound of a component will be any better than any average product out there - the ultimate sound quality rests with the equipment's designer, not THX.

It's worth noting that NO vacuum tube amplifier would meet THX specs, yet those amplifiers would in all likelihood sound better than a solid state amplifier that had THX's blessing. THX just certifies technical aspects - it says nothing about the ultimate listening quality, and we DO listen to our equipment rather than measure it!

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited December 02, 2003).]

#19268 - 12/03/03 07:41 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

you bunch of thx haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19269 - 12/03/03 08:38 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I don't hate THX, I just think it's days of relivance has passed - about the time they started "certifying" things like computer speakers, car stereos, and who knows what else. If everything gets certified, then certification means nothing.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts