Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#19240 - 05/27/03 09:56 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:

This could be a Lexicon MC-12 without the video with even better audio quality (Lexicon's have not been known for their audiophile sound; mainly their cool features), and internal DSD decoding and Firewire inputs/outputs. That would sure make the industry sit up and take notice.

I'd say ~$3,800 - $4,000 for something that's superior in all aspects to an Anthem or Krell or TAG pre-amp (better parts, better sonics due to using premium Burr-Brown DAC's and better implementation, more features, pure balanced from stem to stern, internal DVD-Audio and SACD decoding that compromises neither format, lower noise, wider dynamic range, etc.).

Wait, you're saying that Krell makes audiophile surround processors and Lexicon does not?

Jeff

#19241 - 05/27/03 09:59 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Just a quick word of warning for you folks: for every licensed technology (e.g., THX, DPLII, Logic 7, DTS ES Discrete, etc.) that Outlaw adds to its product, expect a jump in price. Licensing most technologies is far from free.

Therefore, you need to carefully consider cost vs. features. If you're going to get an Outlaw with all the features and functionality of a MC-12, why not just get an MC-12?

Outlaw's main strength has always been the middle-market: better quality than the mass-produced pieces of garbage, much less expensive than the high-end. It's this niche, the extremely good value-for-the-dollar niche, that Outlaw excels in. To attack other niches might spread Outlaw too thin.

Jeff

#19242 - 06/25/03 08:15 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
I thought part of the Outlaw plan was to create products as good or better than the competition and set the price lower due to their web-based sales design.

Or am I wrong...?

Something that beats the Version 2 Anthem AVM-20 in upgradeability, features (built in pure DSD and high rez PCM decoding, FireWire, etc.), and audio quality (using the best dual differential Burr-Brown DACs and pure balanced design), but for less would be A-OK in my book. By creating a hardware/software modular audio-only music/movie processor, they could do this easily.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited June 25, 2003).]

#19243 - 07/17/03 11:30 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Huffer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Could Outlaw develop something similar to Pioneer's MAACC(sp?)?
Or would this not be something worthwhile?
I have heard nothing but high praise about it from everyone who has used it.
What do you think?

#19244 - 07/18/03 04:14 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Slee_Stack Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: GA
I like the modular card approach.

Complete bass banagement in all modes

Separate level control (and memory of it) for each input.

Upgraded finish option (I'll pay a little more for a nicer looking unit but not much)

Digital interface for high rez

No THX, No balanced outputs, no tuner standard (card options as above)

Please no display. I understand the advantage in some ways but not worth it.

New logo

#19245 - 07/25/03 02:20 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Any rumblings about whether Outlaw is making progress on a new pre/pro? Or if in fact there is one on the drawing board?

Pre/pros street prices seem to be coming down, which may be directly related to the 950 platform.

I would be very interesting to see what Outlaw can do if with a "high end" pro/pro.

mj

#19246 - 07/25/03 02:31 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From what we've been told in the past, there has been no change to the original plan to produce a "big brother" to the 950, but based on the development time involved in the 950 and other pre/pros lately (and Outlaw's newfound and well-earned wariness of discussing new products too early in the development process) I'd expect it to be at least another year or so before we hear anything new about it from Outlaw.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19247 - 08/20/03 10:22 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
jmartin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rancho Cordova, CA, USA
The best suggestion I can think of is an easily upgradable architecture for both software and hardware. Using the same format as a Bolder amp, plug in cards for current and or empty slots, firewire input or USB for net upgrades. Many of us do this with computers already. With this kind of construction you and pick the upgrades you want to pay for, and can start with a base model that has the 950 feature set.

#19248 - 08/27/03 05:34 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Well Gonk,

Since I am sure you have the inside track, I guess I will wait on buying the Lexicon and hold out for another year or so until "big brother" arrives.

As the price for a used MC-8 comes down, it is going to be hard to wait.

mj

#19249 - 08/27/03 06:37 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
D'Arbignal Offline
Desperado

Let alone the ridiculously low price of a used MC-1!

Jeff

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM