Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >
Topic Options
#19230 - 02/26/03 06:13 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
charlie Offline
Desperado

Regarding embedded sytems: eCOS, QNX, VxWorks and others are solid choices, as well as other, newer entries like WinCE, Linux, etc.

Embedded computers don't suffer the reliability issues other systems sometimes do - when was the last time your microwave 'crashed'?

#19231 - 04/24/03 05:37 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
Open-architecture digital FireWire inputs that support all digital audio bitstreams (3 or more). Firewire outputs too.

6 coaxial, 4 toslink digital inputs. Coaxial and toslink digital outputs too.

8 channel analog input with FULL analog bypass. High bandwidth, straight wire design to volume control. What should have been on the Model 950 too.

Full digital bass management (separate slopes and cross-overs for each channel), time delay (for all channels including subs), and digital DSP functions like treble/bass and/or full parametric equalizer that operate in both pure DSD and 24 bit/192 kHz PCM modes (depending on the bitstream being manipulated) so the audio fidelity stays untouched even while adding audio tweaks on top of the pure digital source. This is something that most pre-amp companies overlook.

I would work with Sony & Philips to implement pure DSD processing and DSP modes correctly.

Go overboard on processing, eprom, and memory power so that user software and format upgrades can be implemented for some time to come without worrying about running out of space or MIPs allocations.

Full, pro-grade upsampling of all PCM signals (including all DTS, DTS 96/24, and Dolby Digital bitstreams converted to PCM after decoding) to 24 bit/192 kHz for optimal DAC performance. DSD bitstreams are left untouched at all times.

Two top of the line Burr-Brown DSD/24-192 (or higher) PCM DAC's (with pure DSD conversion mode) per channel in dual differential mode to lower noise and increase processing power.

DSD and PCM bitstream master clocks for anti-jitter.

Full, pro-grade balanced power supply and circuitry throughout. Designed by Balanced Audio Technology (BAT). Pro-grade, balanced XLR inputs and outputs for all channels.

Modular, swappable, upgradeable circuitry boards. This has been a real benefit to companies like Meridian and Anthem so that their products roll with most any punches that come in the future, and their customers are not left in the cold due to future feature sets.

12 channel outputs with assignable and fully configurable channel allocations. Similar idea to the Lexicon MC-12 and Parasound Halo C1. With processing chips that handle a full 12 channels you are set for practically anything in the future. Looking at a current trend in DVD-Audio and SACD discs, for example, the center and/or subwoofer channels are sometimes allocated for side channels or even height channels. With user assignable channel outputs, you don't have to re-wire everything every time you put in a different audio mix. Some home theater designers also like to have multiple side surround speakers and/or duplicate the sounds from the surround channels (in 5.1 and 7.1 modes) in multiple arrays depending upon the room size. You are also ready for whatever HD-DVD or Blu-Ray has in store for us with newer, and more sophisticated surround formats.

Full stereo subwoofer output capable (one stereo pair for front channels, and one stereo pair for surrounds). Separate LFE channel output if wanted.

Supports all current formats: DTS, DTS-ES Discrete & Matrix 6.1, DTS 96/24, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby ProLogic II, HDCD, Circle Surround, and fully implemented 7.1 Logic7 (either by licensing the exact product from Harmon International or by creating your own, superior product that can create stereo side and rear channels from multiple sources-- I'm not talking about Cirrus Extra Surround as it's not as good and doesn't produce stereo back channels).

No DSP modes like HALL, STADIUM, etc. Totally unnecessary.

Separate power supplies for digital and analog circuits. Totally isolated and noise free parts.

Copper shielded.

No built-in tuner or LCD screen (something more to break and cause interference problems, and it would allow money to go to improved internal guts). A separate monitor output for mini, rack mountable digital video panel (as an optional accessory and for any third party mini monitor). And one monitor output for on-screen display only.

In fact, I would suggest having a completely separate video switcher in order to keep these circuits completely isolated, and increase the usable space on the back of the pre-amp for more inputs/outputs (and the full array of fully balanced I/O's). That would also allow more of the design budget to go towards these premium audio features I've discussed. Also, with any future video switcher you have to deal with the issue of DVI-D/HDMI/HDCP and Firewire switching along with the current slate of analog inputs and outputs. It keeps it as an optional product and keeps the consumers' cost down too. A win-win situation for everybody.

User software upgradeable.

Data port for Crestron and other home automation type devices.

Large, easy to read display panel.

Illuminated, high quality buttons and switches.

Removable, thick gauge IEC, grounded power cord.

Plus, any number of user interface improvements and suggestions others have mentioned on this board that other companies have in their products (like Anthem, Krell, Lexicon, TAG, etc.).

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited April 24, 2003).]

#19232 - 04/24/03 05:43 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
alfredo mora Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Corona CA
wOw, Pro, all the way, but at what price?
$7,000?

#19233 - 04/24/03 06:02 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

If you keep the video side out of it and leave only a monitor out for on-screen display (which could be hooked to an outboard video switcher and/or rack mount display) you substantially lower production costs that could be used for the premium parts and features listed above. Also, having no tuner would help.

This could be a Lexicon MC-12 without the video with even better audio quality (Lexicon's have not been known for their audiophile sound; mainly their cool features), and internal DSD decoding and Firewire inputs/outputs. That would sure make the industry sit up and take notice.

I'd say ~$3,800 - $4,000 for something that's superior in all aspects to an Anthem or Krell or TAG pre-amp (better parts, better sonics due to using premium Burr-Brown DAC's and better implementation, more features, pure balanced from stem to stern, internal DVD-Audio and SACD decoding that compromises neither format, lower noise, wider dynamic range, etc.).

It can be done, especially without the tremendous dealer overhead that really pumps up the price of these over-blown, specialized PCs (which is all a lot of these pre-amps are nowadays).

I would also suggest hiring a much more quality conscious builder than Eastech. I'd even suggest bringing the manufacturing back to the U.S.A. like Outlaw's amps. Keeping something this sophisticated close to home works a lot better than dealing with an overseas plant.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited April 25, 2003).]

#19234 - 04/24/03 06:49 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I agree with Dan...

Get rid of all video switching, with HDTV slowly moving into the mainstream, people generally will have something else handle scaling / switching....

[This message has been edited by Unferth (edited April 24, 2003).]

#19235 - 05/08/03 03:07 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
water1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pleasant Ridge, MI, USA
My next pre/pro will have component video switching for sat/cable box, X-Box, DVD player, D-VHS VCR, and a spare. Also need more digital audio inputs for above. Also need 7.1 analog input for my Revolution sound card in HTPC. Seprate LFE out for Buttkicker and subwoofer with seperate crossover settings. Upconversion of composite and S-Video to component video out.
Could do with fewer composite video inputs.
DVI switching is probably necessary for future proofing.
My credit card is ready.

------------------
John

#19236 - 05/08/03 03:51 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
TurnerF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis,TN
With my Samsung DLP tv arriving next week, suddenly the need for DVI has become a priority. There is already a DVD player on the market using DVI, plus HDTV box and computer my next pre/pro will have to have DVI capability.

#19237 - 05/08/03 04:43 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
I lilke the modular approach. That way, I can select the audiophile resistors, capacitors and DSPs that I prefere. And when something else, in a month or two, is the darling of the audiophile high-end fashion world, I can upgrade these components again.

Seriously, some modularity would be nice so that meaningful upgrades for a generation or two could be accomodated such as a new version of dolby or dts digital, more channels, better DSP or whatever.

While the "gee-wiz" factor of a built-in LCD diplay is appealing, the cost $$$-wise and front panel real-estate -ise may be prohibitive except for a high-end priced pre-pro.

What may be an acceptable compromise is the inclusion of, in addition to the typical video output to a TV type monitor, a computer type video output, of somewhere from 800x600 to 1280x1024 pixels resolution, so that an external LCD (or crt) monitor can be used. The ability to power down any video circuitry should be included.

Having digital high-rez inputs for SACD and DVD-A would be nice. I wonder what the cost would be for suitable, multiple channels of DACs and associated high quality analog electronics that would do justice to the potenital of SACD and DVD-A wold be. It would not be a trivial expense to better the performance of high quality SACD or DVD-A player.

I would really like to have multiple 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 or 8.1 analog inputs with the option of bypassing all digital processing circuitry and only passing through a volume control on the way to the outputs.

Pleeeeze, no Micro$oft operating sytem. I do not want my pre-pro to lockup, restart, crash, or be hacked into by first graders on their cell phones.

I wanna ...

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#19238 - 05/16/03 07:39 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

I still think that a separate broadcast quality video switcher with DVI-D/HDMI & HDCP, Firewire IEEE 1394b, component analog, S-Video, and composite support would be better than having it built-in to the surround audio processor. There are too many variables right now with copy protection and it could be easily upgraded or swapped out instead of having to buy a whole new A/V pre-amp if the digital video protocols change.

A video switching link from the surround pre-amp to this switcher would be available so they can talk back and forth, however the cost savings to Outlaw Audio and to us would be enormous. Which would allow more money to be spent on the premium audio goods we've talked about so far.

Modular construction with audiophile grade components for consumer hardware and software upgrading would be ideal too.

Dan

#19239 - 05/25/03 11:16 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
jacket_fan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
"I would also suggest hiring a much more quality conscious builder than Eastech. I'd even suggest bringing the manufacturing back to the U.S.A. like Outlaw's amps. Keeping something this sophisticated close to home works a lot better than dealing with an overseas plant."

I second Dan's recommendation. The other advantage would be to be to have the design authority of the product.

mj

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts