Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#19310 - 11/25/04 01:01 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellen:
Quote:
... and sure would be useful, particularly in a higher end processor.
I'm woefully ignorant about this stuff. What would the networking stuff you just described be useful for in an a/v processor? Would all that LAN stuff be used just to set up the system? Or does it serve some other purpose?
It would be great for setup, but it would also facilitate a level of automation that is almost unheard of, and the cost should be quite low. As I said, the cost to the consumer of a router + this sort of interface is less than $30, pretty cheap.

The ethernet 100/TX interface is dirt cheap, and the code required for a BASIC http server and HTML/CGI interface is minute. Of course this would also pave the way to have a internet radio (via the network adapter) and access to networked storage containing media files, if desired. Firmware updates would be applied via this interface, the works.

In the future, everything is going to be networked, might as well start now.

#19311 - 11/25/04 09:39 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i agree with this. you see a few companies with similar ideas. one that springs to my mind is Onkyo/Integra... they have models that connect via ethernet cables now and can stream radio, connect to components, etc.

as for me i wouldnt use it at all, other than possibly tying into my computer. eventually there will be one magical box to connect everything, or possibly replace most things. how cool would it be to have a tv that doubled as a computer, control center for your house, etc.

#19312 - 12/17/04 04:14 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
_daev Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott:
[QB] Any balanced connectors we used would be standard XLRs.

Excellent, but "XLR" doesn't define the signal level, nor does "balanced". For example 1/4" jacks can be balanced, and XLR’s can be used for mic and even speaker connections (a horrid idea, that).

I recommend balanced outputs should conform to "pro" levels of +4 dBV, otherwise the typical pro balanced input amp will not develop its' maximum power and will have an elevated noise floor.

Balanced inputs have a similar problem, save that a balanced input that was designed for a -10 dBV consumer level that clipped on a hotter +4 dBV pro signal would be worse than useless.

Personally, I would find a few balanced +4 dBV inputs (2 stereo, 1 multi-channel) quite useful, but more balanced connections than that wouldn’t add value for me.

For the amp outputs, balanced outs are much more critical for noise reasons, and XLR connectors are much more reliable than either 1/4" or RCA/Cinch connectors.

I could also be happy with an EDAC 56 pin 516 connector wired to use a standard ADAT cable. It occupies a less space on the back panel than a zillion XLR’s, and it’s a single connector to plug/unplug for maintenance.

_daev

#19313 - 12/19/04 03:50 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
One thing I would like to see is more upgradeability. Like flash memory and replaceable internal components. I know one of the decisions that the Outlaws must make is how expensive should they make the new pre/pro? If they used an upgradeable chassis they could sell the new pre/pro at a low initial cost and let the end user upgrade as needed.

The inside of the 950 is not too much different than a computer layout, in that there is a main board and other boards that plug into it, the similarities end there. But it is possible to have component cards that could be added latter on or bought all at once. Maybe someone wants XLR's but someone else needs only RCA type connections. They each could order the new pre/pro with the connection types they needed now and have the ability to change out those add-in cards at a latter date when the need arouse.

This would help to future proof the new Pre/Pro. It would also help the Outlaw's in servicing their "Internet Only" customers in that they may only need to warrenty a replacable component and not have to ship the whole unit back and forth.

I know one thing, it would solve a number of requests in this thread, being that you could order what you needed and not have to order those things you had no use for. Don't need Zones, don't order the new Pre/Pro with a Zone extension card, you get the idea.

See the link below of a receiver that has some removable components.
Onkyo back panel

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#19314 - 01/25/05 04:09 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
Kahuna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
HDMI/DVI inputs and video switching.

I'm sick of trying to explain why you have to punch multiple buttons to get the video and audio to sync up.

#19315 - 02/13/05 11:43 PM Re: Next gen pre/pro
HearSee Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Antonio, TX
I agree with the Kahuna on the button thing.
While there have been a lot of great suggestions in this thread, the number one item on my wish list is up-conversion from composite and S-Vid to Component. There are a few units out there that do this so we know it can be done.

If the A/V world will step into updatable software (a few high-ends have it), the only part of the mystery digital connector that has to be settled is the physical connector itself. If the software guess is wrong, it can be updated. Oh yeah; convert composite, S-Vid, and component to digital too once the digital question has been settled.

I don't want much do I?

#19316 - 02/22/05 02:40 AM Re: Next gen pre/pro
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
I need two component monitor outputs, one for the TV and one for a Projector, am I the only one?

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts