Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19213 - 02/18/03 06:22 PM Active Xover
Cliffy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: La Habra Hts., CA, USA
I'm planning on using either model 200's or a single 7100 to biamp or triamp my system. Don't ask about the speaker config, it changes quite often and that's why I want to go active. Makes it a lot easier to tweak and the end product is much more controlled. A lot of power is great, but a decent amount of it going where it really belongs can do some amazing things! I'm sure that I'm not the only nutball who would be more than happy to use this... most of the other options are either WAY out of reasonable price range or are questionable quality PA/Pro Audio equipment. I'm sure Outlaw could do it and do it better for less!

SLT

#19214 - 02/18/03 06:35 PM Re: Active Xover
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I sure could use something like this

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19215 - 03/09/03 07:40 AM Re: Active Xover
Ellen Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East of the Rock, West of the ...
I'd like to see an active crossover as well. The features I'd like to see lean more toward monitor/subwoofer use. In fact, I guess I should really say that what I'd like to see is a active crossover/subwoofer control box:

6 or 12 dB/octave high pass
18 or 24 dB/octave low pass
High & Low level inputs
High & Low level outputs
Stereo and summed mono (low level) outputs
Adjustable Gain
Adjustable phase 0-180
Adjustable rumble filter

But a straight 24dB/oct LR 2 way stereo/3 way mono active crossover with fairly wide frequency range would be useful as well.

#19216 - 03/31/03 09:47 PM Re: Active Xover
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
I recently completed my tri-amp system using a Behringer xover. It is quiet and clean, so I'd recommend. The only troublesome part is making all the XLR/RCA connectors. All the pro stuff uses balanced in/out, but the behringer can be used unbalanced by shorting the - to gnd on both in & outs. The unit uses 24 db Linkwitz-riley filters. Check it out. They are quite reasonable at 129 for a stereo 3 way unit.

#19217 - 03/31/03 11:22 PM Re: Active Xover
Cliffy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: La Habra Hts., CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by stabie:
I recently completed my tri-amp system using a Behringer xover. It is quiet and clean, so I'd recommend. The only troublesome part is making all the XLR/RCA connectors. All the pro stuff uses balanced in/out, but the behringer can be used unbalanced by shorting the - to gnd on both in & outs. The unit uses 24 db Linkwitz-riley filters. Check it out. They are quite reasonable at 129 for a stereo 3 way unit.

Thanks, Stabie, I've been wondering about the quality of some of the pro audio stuff out there. Much of the gear available has very high IMD or THD (vs even low quality HiFi) and with an active pre-amp piece like a Xover, that's really important to watch. I was going to try a pro piece (I'm not afraid of the conversion from balanced or the XLR's) but would rather have something that's a little about he sound quality and a little less about being able to withstand the rigors of the road. Again, thanks for the info, I haven't run up to anyone using these for HiFi work. I'll work on setting something up in that line...

SLT

#19218 - 04/01/03 09:57 AM Re: Active Xover
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
To put your mind at ease, here are the main specs on the xover.
Response: 20-20K +0/-0.5db
SNR @+4dBu 20-20K unweighted
Low out: >93dBu
Mid out: >95dBu
High out: >90dBu
Dyn range >106dBu
crosstalk>90dBu
THD+Noise <0.04% (Limiter off of course)

The XLR is a pain, but I'd recommend the Neutrik XLR's. They are pretty easy to solder to. Just cut a RCA/RCA connector and solder the shield to the - and shield pins and the center to the + pin.

#19219 - 04/01/03 12:51 PM Re: Active Xover
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Quote:
Originally posted by stabie:
The XLR is a pain, but I'd recommend the Neutrik XLR's. They are pretty easy to solder to. Just cut a RCA/RCA connector and solder the shield to the - and shield pins and the center to the + pin.

NOOOOOOO make your own!!! sorry it was a knee jerk reaction to the cut the end off an rca cable thing.. (in my head I pictured one of those el-cheapo black rca cables with a nice neutrik xlr on the other end)

some nice coaxial cable with a good rca on one end and the xlr on the other would be pretty nice......

Who's Online
0 registered (), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts