Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#19159 - 02/16/03 11:29 AM mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
ok, i know no one's gonna take this seriously but i bet we'll see this product soon enough for somebody. how many road bikes have you seen with stereos built into their farings? (ans.:about a jillion)wouldn't it be nice if outlaw could design the first mp3 r/p that'd fit into those same fairings? all it'd take is a little mod-ing to give a rider the controls he/she needs on a bike...larger button for 'play' & volumne, for example. perhaps a built in tuner w/'auto' scan/memory (like the aiwa portable cd units) hey, it's just an idea. i may be doing that myself soon w/ my 20gig portable.
i kinda put that out yesterday as a joke on the '950' page ie: design something for my harley (long wait...rambling). all i got back was a suggestion for an oil drip pan. haha...it's a harley, not a triumph. Harley's quit dripping in '86.

------------------
t higg

#19160 - 02/16/03 11:41 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
charlie Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Harley's quit dripping in '86

Was that the year you quit adding oil? [GDR]

#19161 - 02/16/03 12:01 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
In the various motorcycle magazines there are mp3 player holders and such that will allow you to mount them on bikes. I've also seeen speakers that can mount on handlebars (they look ugly, in my opinion). The Apple iPod is a good mp3 device that has a large hard disc and good interface; you might check into that one.

And oh, I forgot, Triumphs are the ones that drip oil. Harleys are the ones that shake all the bolts out of their engines onto the road.

(Don't take this seriously, I'm a biker too)

#19162 - 02/16/03 12:03 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie:
Was that the year you quit adding oil? [GDR]

OUCH!!!

#19163 - 02/16/03 12:06 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

nah, my new one is a 2003, 100th aniversary model. my third. have owned 2 honda's, 2 yama's, a penton, 2 puchs, and one kawasaki. they all died horrible deaths...cept for the 2 honda's. fact: if u add up all the bikes that all the japanese manufacturers make and sell every year in the usa...it would not equal the amount that harley sells here in the same time frame. by the by, i lived in japan for 2 years...what's the pentultimate bike of chose there? yep...harley. got a friend over there...he served on the other side in ww2...re-built himself a '54 H-D. he's about 80yrs. old now and his harley is his pride and joy. p.s. how many hondas and yamahas have you seen lately that were built in '54? another aside, my entire HT system, save the vcr & cass. dk. comes from ...the USA. and it seriously rocks! (most hi-end & HT japanese...prefer US or european equipment or they just build it themselves.
In japan working for the DOD in crypto...i met many engineers and such...most have macintosh amps w/ home buillt speakers...they rock! not to put down their home built products...companies like marantz (org. USA), yama, nak, etc. are now bulding some wonderful gear. ya just gotta understand that originally, the 60's & 70's, the country was more concerned about mass, mass production...the bottom line was sell sell sell...money money money. witness the evolution of the toyota and honda. still, today, the major roadbike they imitate is the ...tah dah...harley. the cars immulate the germans (although ford and chevy now own most of their market). the triumph motorcycle co. went under in the 70's (now back) mainly because of the '72/73 xs-650 yama...a direct rip-off of their main bike.
harley, a year or so ago, started proceedings to patent their sound, since all the copy cats started designing exact replicas of their road machines. by the way, it was the triumph that was famous for leaking...engine casings were split vertically and all the oil accumulated at the bottom seal and eventually leaked, the copies split their casings horizontally...problem solved...hey those copy cats are darn good. to bad they can't do what we do. domo arigato, tomadachi.

------------------
t higg

#19164 - 02/16/03 12:14 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

You aren't by any chance "The Highwayman" that posts on Motorcycle Online?"

And BTW, have you taken a count of the parts on your Harley that were made in Japan? The carburetors for instance are made by Keihn (a division of Honda), and the shocks are Showa's - all made in there too.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 16, 2003).]

#19165 - 02/16/03 12:19 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound, thanks for that. i was just finishing a long winded discourse and funny thing, i mentioned in the reply that, yes, it was the triumph that waas infamous for the dripping engine casing. harley's, in the sixties, were bought by AMF...and very fastly went downhill...falling apart, not cranking, etc. in the 80's the company worker bees bought the company and re-designed everything. they became one of the most successful turnaround companies in the history of america. programs on PBS, manager seminars on how to turn a co. around, etc. focused on H-D as the prime example of what should be done to get ones company back together. unfortunately, just like a lotta hi-fi companies that also 'went cheap', their bad image stuck with them even tho' they also had turned the corner. i used to sell hi-fi in the 80's. marantz was marginal, sherwood was a joke, pioneer and sansuii...oh my god, the race then was on power...untried power chips that blew and hummed, fancy features and mega lites (kenwood) that did mostly nothing. most of these companies have turned round...but unless one keeps up with the market, one retains the 'bad product' image.
oh, and thanks about the mp3 info. see, i havent really checked very far on that one have i? i agree about hanging speakers out on the bars...really ugly. haven't got a fairing on my latest, yet, and came up with an idea that was already out there. still, i think that a company with the name outlaw...belongs on a product that was once known as an outlaw.

------------------
t higg

#19166 - 02/16/03 12:29 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

yeh, u got me there. parts for most anything come from the far and near east. es cheaper, of course. still, in defence, just like the tubes and circuitry made in china and russia, manufacturers here usually go over there and ask for processes and building techniques that are in line with their company philosophy. the unions here have outpriced themselves to make a decent product and keep it within a price range that is realistic. ford's are mazda's, chevies are toyotas, macintosh...is owned by a japanese group (well, it was, don't know bout now). the forks on a harley are from over there. welcome to 'a new world order'.
did you know that the english word for bathroom; 'loo', is from the french idiom...'en guard de loo' (watch out for the water! cause before 'loo's'...early england spoke french and they would throw the 'pan' of last nite's ...defication...out the window and onto the street...'watch out for the (stinky) water, mon ami.
i gotta put on some music now and listen to my new 950 over me 'made in usa' maggie system. en guard de music!

------------------
t higg

#19167 - 02/16/03 12:37 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
I see the ‘bike wars’ go on, occasionally on the fringes of the speed channel etc, being default here. Every time I leave the room it magically gravitates to those channels, (the guys all say they did not touch the remote).
In the last 5 years for some reason I have run into ‘antique’ Harleys sitting in front of the grocery store etc, which are perfectly restored. Regardless whether or not these things need …uh hum…a drip pan. They are beautiful pieces of machinery and wonderful to look at.

I get dragged into the edges of that world (cars) due to the hobbyist around here. They entered our 68 Mustang project to the 50 something annual ‘Autorama” here in Dallas at Market Hall this weekend. ‘Autorama’ …isn’t that just the most ‘bubba’ type name you’ve ever heard?

It was my first foray to something like that, and I have to say that while there are some extreme and strange concepts of what is beautiful in machinery at these shows, It’s amazing to see what everyone who loves these , - puts into their ‘trailer queens’ at these type events. A novel experience….had to go support the home crowd. It did help that I got to sit in my personal #1 pick, (if I won the lottery this weekend). A Shelby Series One, I was speaking to the group that brought it to the show, A Carol Shelby tied business group, who had also brought the ‘Eleanor’ fastback to this show, - that just sold at Barletts auction for 180.K When I mentioned to them, that barring finances, over all current choices, the Series One was what I would personally drive off the lot. They invited me over the ropes to sit in it.

Silly stuff, but I have to say……..I WANT ONE. (and it fit me like a glove). I have to admire the ‘heart’ and work that goes into these machines which have so many hours lavished on them by their respective owners…(I admire passion, - in any field, - whether its my daily cup of tea or not)
Today is the last day of this show, and I was not going back (one day attendance was plenty for me) but the Shelby guys (there not with Shelby but only handle Shelby cars) said if I wanted to hear (ride) in the Series One when the show ends today and everyone packs up, to be there at closing. I am very tempted!

You ought to paste a pic Thigg, SH did (of one of his two) and it was beautiful!

#19168 - 02/16/03 12:45 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

oh yeh soundhound, no i'm not the 'highwayman' or whatever. sorry. where is that site? also, just for grins, what kinda bike do u have? please understand, am not trying to knock the other bikes. i have had a bunch of many kinds as you probably read. my penton dirt bike was just awesome...if one could keep it running. had an mx 250 yama..bored to 280...holy moly it was scary, i loved my little 450 honda (2), just needed more power. my xs650 yama (triumph copy...not the 650 they make now) was one sweet running mosheen. built a little flimsy but i drove everywhere for years. as to the reply after that, can't remember who it was. i can agree with part o what you say...heck, even indian is back in gear and they were the real american dream till harley won the military contract for ww2. is this forum turning into a bike thing?
let's get back to the crux o the bisquit.
i gotta put on some j. buffet (or perhaps some zapa) and pretend it's not raining outside. oh yeh, i have the archos mp3 jukebox...fell in love with the mac but at cnn, well, we're all on pc's(cept for editors who have pc's for internet to cnn, and g4's for digital editing...now does that make any sense?

------------------
t higg

#19169 - 02/16/03 12:54 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

The web site is www.motorcycle.com.

If you are afraid that the iPod won't work on a PC, it does now. Apple released a software package that works with PCs. I don't have an iPod myself, but I'd like to. You can use it as a general purpose storage device too for whatever files you want to transport.

Here is a pix of my bikes:

Kawasaki Nomad (modified extensively)

Suzuki V-Strom

And of course, a REAL bike!!

#19170 - 02/16/03 01:01 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

SH ...trying to see your 2nd bike. Your two personal links are not working from here. Some popup box, - something like - "webshot community, not owner of this album..log in"

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 16, 2003).]

#19171 - 02/16/03 01:12 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Try this again... I tried using a free photo posting host and I guess they leave a cookie that logs me automatically into my private page, but other's can't get to. They also seem to add some of their own jpeg compression which degrades image quality quite a bit

#19172 - 02/16/03 01:45 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

SH, forgive the ‘girly’ type comments but I do like your colors. I had seen your Nomad before and love that Blue, and the V-Strom is elegant (and wicked looking) with the silver, chrome and black.

Just my personal tastes, but unless its on a track, with all the bright stickers, I don’t tend to like the looks of major flame jobs, checkerboard, and use of a multiple versions of neon bright colors on one unit.

Let me go ahead and ‘show’ how on the fringe I am and ask the typical layperson query: How fast do they go? And have ‘you’ gone that fast attached to them?

#19173 - 02/16/03 03:20 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
How fast do they go? And have ‘you’ gone that fast attached to them?

The guy who did the paint job said to me that women seem to like that "burple" color - my wife didn't appreciate that one!

The cruiser has had some major engine work, and has a lot of pull. It still won't go as fast as a bike like the V-Strom (which is still not technically a sport bike, but has a sport bike engine), which I've had up to 130 before I almost pee'd my pants. The big thing about the V-Strom, like all such bikes is the insane acceleration - it is an addictive rush

Funny thing happened last summer. I was riding Angeles Crest Highway in the mountains, and a guy on a sport bike blasted past me like a was standing still. I stopped at a roadhouse up the road several miles, and it turns out this guy was something like seventy years old!! Grandma, do you know where your hubby is today?

#19174 - 02/16/03 04:09 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

SLL, sorry, i can't post pics from here. home is still in the dark ages. i could do it from work but i'd have to sneak a digi cam out for the day. been meaning ta buy one of those...but i keep spending money on harleys and processors and lots and lots of vinyl. it's another addiction.
SH, to late, i bought the jukebox...200 bucks from bestbuy.com. oh well, it's not as glitzy but performs about the same.
toys toys toys. right now i just can't buy anymore toys. the vette or a mach 1, restored...now that'd be ichi-ban! in '68, working at cocoa beach for nasa, i took a friend to pick up his new 350 shelby mach 1 at the melbourne dearler ... not the biggest engine but man o man...wut uh car! back then the local chevy dealer gave each returning astronaut a free 2 tone vette! only 2 tones made then were for them. nother friend there had a 'stang that was just plain scary! he built it all himself after getting out of 'nam. d--n thing hit 90+ in 2nd with room left over. today i really don't need or want all that muscle. in 2 weeks i retire...empty nester with a lotta toys and friends. packing it all up and moving to ashville, n.c. probaly get my masters and hopefully teach and finish my books i've been writing for 30 years. (publisher gave up on me, i think)
and oh, to SLL & the other guy, it's really good to know people still read. it's a long lost art which is mushrooming again. it's also a major compulsion of mine. my book library is as big as my cd,dvd,vinyl library.
not many junk books...but a full gamut of many subjects. favorite authors: kurt Vonnegut, tom robbins, bertrand russell.
music is the same way...old jazz & blues, female country artists, rock from the 50's to now (marmalade to 3rd eye blind), wierd stuff (monty python sings, warner reprise stuff from the vault (no not the Dead,early zappa,Capn beefheart,van zant,etc.), and oh yeh, the dead...simon & garfarkel,PPM, van the man...600+ albums and at least 550 with nary a tick or pop. you should see the eyeballs of the engineers when they come over and i a/b the cd and turntable. most of em now have hi end tables and are vinyl junkies. later

------------------
t higg

#19175 - 02/16/03 04:23 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
in 2 weeks i retire..

Well, happy retirement!! You seem to have sufficient toys to last (do you have your supply of duct tape? ) Maybe I'll see you out on the road - I'll be the one on the "burple" bike (the one with all the women running after it )

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19176 - 02/16/03 04:40 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

soundhound, just posted u a mess. at outlaw to outlaw, your site rocks! u callyflowerian coastal people! me eldest daughter just moved back from SF...don't know why. i used ta work out there quite a lot (OJ trial,Oscars,conventions...prefer san diego..got to party w/ speilberg a few yrs ago..him n a bunch o actors...terrible at names...they're like all brothers n have been in a lotta hits,actually,when ya drink em under the table...they're quite fun guys! still, i jst couldn't keep up the pace there. livin on the road takes its toll.

------------------
t higg

#19177 - 02/17/03 01:09 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

Burple! Tell your paint guy he’s got it all wrong. He can’t CALL it that no self respecting woman would buy a can of paint (or run behind a color) called ‘burple’. Call it royal eggplant or Godiva Blue or some such.

Just got in a little while ago from the AW TOE RAH MAW (this name cracks me up) I am so happy for the guys here tonight, we took that little 68 mustang coupe and dropped it splat on the floor of the DALLAS O'REILY ANNUAL AUTORAMA. And they had all kinds of nice (crazy car people) telling them, you should have had a tool kit….one wheel pulled off ……mirrors under the car for the suspension…. Display board…. judges handbook……your own set of ropes and stanchions around it…..it all counts for points……(all we had was the car)
There were three awards in its class, “Conservatively Modified Ford 60 to 69. Two “Outstanding in Class” and one ‘Best of Class’. They won an ‘outstanding in class’! Since we did not have the ‘details’ or knowledge (first official show) of how these people set up to show a car. And unlike all car owners we spoke with on the floors,,,ours is not trailored and garaged but a semi-daily driver, I’m very happy for them. This little mustang home project incidentally is partially responsible for driving me into AV, I had to find something to do while they were holed up in the garage.

which I've had up to 130 ….. all such bikes is the insane acceleration. Here they love to gather round the, “worst wrecks you ever saw in your entire life” specialty sport shows. I’ve seen those guys sliding ‘off’ the bike and down the pavement for about a mile before they lose steam. I HOPE your wearing Kevlar Leathers or something! Incidentally I love the idea of a bike, (and I have been found at terminal velocity myself) wind in your hair, long mountain backroads, but I see them buzzing in and out of 5 o’clock in the DFW area, (which is getting as bad as the last I remember downtown LA, - or worse) and I FEAR FOR THEIR LIVES.

i could do it from work but i'd have to sneak a digi cam out for the day. been meaning ta buy one of those I know the feeling, We have access to a dig cam, I have miniscule web space somewhere that comes with my DSL line, and the software’s loaded. Just never done it or figured out how to set up and post. SWB does not make it easy, I called them to ask "doesn’t your DSL come with a handbook" for all these services to walk you through setup…..No they don’t put that out.

Jeepers Outlaw its been one of those weekends, maybe its time for an ‘afterhourslounge’ or possibly that would be far too much encouragement for blowing steam and virtual mental road trips.

#19178 - 02/17/03 01:23 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
...., “worst wrecks you ever saw in your entire life”.......

Ooooooh, Yeah. When I was twenty-something and stupid (in contrast to being the age I am now, and stupid), I took one of my bikes out for "a short spin", and figured I didn't need a helmet - WRONG!! I went out of control around a corner and hit a tree, taking the bark of the tree off with my face!

Now I wear a helmet regularly....

Did somebody say pitchers of margaritas????

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited February 17, 2003).]

#19179 - 02/17/03 01:24 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
...., “worst wrecks you ever saw in your entire life”.......

Ooooooh, Yeah. When I was twenty-something and stupid (in contrast to being the age I am now, and stupid), I took one of my bikes out for "a short spin", and figured I didn't need a helmet - WRONG!! I went out of control around a corner and hit a tree, taking the bark of the tree off with my face!

Now I wear a helmet regularly....

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19180 - 02/17/03 01:42 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

if you had those before the short spin into the bark of the tree, then you were probably limp resultant in your giving somewhat when the tree did not, which probably rather helped matters. (LEGAL DISCAILMER: this is not recommended unless on a closed track with professional drivers as preformed by people who never die in commercials)

[your not superman you know]

#19181 - 02/17/03 09:00 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:

if you had those before the short spin into the bark of the tree, then you were probably limp resultant in your giving somewhat when the tree did not, which probably rather helped matters. (LEGAL DISCAILMER: this is not recommended unless on a closed track with professional drivers as preformed by people who never die in commercials)

[your not superman you know]

I said I was older and stupid, not older and an idiot!

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19182 - 02/18/03 12:01 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

did i miss the party? where are the margarities, anyway?
am back at work after 3 weeks vacation after a month in kuwait after a month in palestine and isreal after a month in afghanistan after...now where is that party? it's been cold down here in hotlanta...got to ride me youngest girl saturday on the bike for a whole half hour...brrrr. tuesday now and yesterday turned in my 2 week notice to cnn.
thought they'd just tell me to go away but was surprised by the reaction round here.
round here...they don't treat people like they used to do...round here, we got aol to contend with all we do (angels of lucifer, yikes). looks like...and believe me, they don't do this much anymore...gonna throw a lil get together somewhere...w/ margareeetaas! ya'll are all of course invited. several of the enganeers have come by my a/v room to hear the 950...got more than a few interested in one (and the other products) after they had a look/listen. believe...cnn field engineers are a hard bunch to impress. hey soundhound...i forget if i mentioned it but i have a soundcraft 24 ch. also. trying to mod it for my g-20 van. it fits perfectly on my back bench when i throw the switch that converts it to a full-size bed. problem is my 1200 watt inverter is to small to power it. we have some 4800watt units but they're 24vdc in (for our humvees in the mid.east. i'm in the process of mounting my rodger LS3/5a's in there with either my lil crown or my sony 50/50 car amp. intending to use it as a mobile when i move to the blue ridge mtns. in the next month or 2. got a lot of musician friends up there...bluegrass,deadheads,original-contemparary writers and pickers. got a small, balanced 8 ch. for emergencies in there, too. mic selection is very very small but have a few primos and people to borrow from. gotta select a small master deck,too. as of now using svhs hi-fi,19 hundreds century ES sony cassette deck. probably gonna go dat soon but i need some type of 4 or 8 track system that won't take up much more room in there. any ideas for hard drive hardware or similar?

#19183 - 02/18/03 02:20 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of changes for the worse at CNN, like that stupid "news ticker" thing at the bottom of the screen, and a very pronounced "sensationalist" leaning that's as bad as local news. AOL is going down the toilet evidently, and taking a lot of good companies along with it.

If you are considering doing any type of recording, I would definately go the direct to hard disc route. The DAT format is good, but like all such data tape formats, tapes become unplayable with time, or on different machines. With a computer, it's easy to edit, as you already know, and burning ad CD from your mix is very easy and quick. The Digidesign ProTools system is kind of the de facto standard in the movie post and music recording industries. You can actually get a limited 8 track version of the program free, for either the Macintosh of Windows. You just need a reasonable hard disc (the internal one is good for most work), and your outboard equipment. You can do mixes completely in the digital enviornment, or route the tracks through your Soundcraft for mixing. They have systems all the way from the software only, which uses your computer sound card, up to systems like mine with multiple channels etc. I don't think they have an adapter to mount the system on your bike, however Here's their web site. Navigate to "ProTools Free" and go from there

http://www.digidesign.com/

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19184 - 02/18/03 04:17 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

well, musta hit the wrong button. i was just doing a reply and it...dissapeared?! do you know how HAL was named (by kubrick)?
anyway...i was saying...? i forgot now. oh yeh. i think that's the same program that a friend uses. i helped him put his system in and sometimes go over for mastering but he does all his editing on his computer after all is mastered on a 24track to 1inch 8 track. sounds really good...he just need a better studio...which he just bought with his new house...bigger can better. he's the same guy i said was at 'flatwatch' but yesterday he told me that he quit maintaining that site a year ago. whoops.
i do like your idea...the cameras we've been developing with sony (shhhh,tho it's really no big secret now)are also hard drive, athough the beta one we will soon (oops,not me)be field testing is a dvd/r type. at last at last free at last...no more tape drives! if people only knew the problems that must be corrected when one puts a tape in a camera and runs off into a shoot..bouncing round with that thing and then expecting a perfict picture to come out...the same people who want to know why the camera is 20 grand without a lens! where the heck was i?
they keep interupting me to do work things. i really can't be bothered with that.
well it's 415pm,gotta wind down and go home. will try and get back on this tonite.

#19185 - 02/18/03 04:19 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

i took 6 hours to type the above and it has so many typos...i can't even understand it. sorry, g & g's & outlaws.

#19186 - 02/18/03 05:11 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
..no more tape drives! i

Funny, I have some analog 1/4" open reel tapes from the 1950s that play beautifully, but I have some DATs that are only a year or so old that won't play at all. I do have some open reel tapes however from the "dark era" of the 1970s/80s that had their oxide coating turn to goo. Push the play button and the tape just stands there, not moving because of all the friction. Baking them in an oven will give one play....maybe....

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19187 - 02/18/03 06:37 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
charlie Offline
Desperado

The computer school of conspiracy theories. I like it. HAL is I-1,B-1,M-1; Coincidence? I think not! How about the really interesting one - Windows New Technology, architected by one of the big VMS guys.....

Gotta love it.

#19188 - 02/18/03 07:32 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

right dave...i mean charlie.
so...does hal drip oil? i'm jst now breaking in my 950. had one little problem a few nites ago that may be something else. if you have the 950 maybe you can help. watching dish movies this weekend and 2 times in one movie and once in the next, my tv lost vertical hold. i know my tv will lose horizontal hold on big bang type transtions...a hard fast cut and it just loses clamp...heck it's a 12 year old 36" GE...but a decent set. i'm not as big a fancier of video as i am of audio, admitted.
i'm running all 's' videos into the 950 and outputs to the GE and the s-vcr with 12 foot interconnects (medium grade, gold pins) from the vcr and dish box and either a 6 or 12 back to the set. have you or anyone had a vertical unlock running video this way (or the other 2)? i may bring in a waveform monitor from work to look at the sync level and burst width in case it's the sat box...it's new too,and my tv doesn't like low sync...a lotta sat and cable ...companies intentionally output the sync low...makes it hard to copy or send around the house without paying the piper. the backhaul sat company we use, if we don't use our own gear, does have a nice 40 units as it should (but their burst is really 'ticky'...can't even lock a frame sync to it!)just curious if this has happened to you or anyone before i start pulling things apart. i probably shoulda put this on the 950 page, huh. well, maybe later...gotta go get some su su shee for now.

------------------
t higg

#19189 - 02/18/03 07:43 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

I haven't had that problem, either with sattelite, laserdisc or VHS "S" video. I run component for DVD, but straight to the projector.

#19190 - 02/18/03 08:00 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

...i can't even understand it.

I got it, and don't be surprised if you c me borrowing some of your _ cuts. I can tell you've spent years e-m your life from rnd the globe.

Regarding your hold issue, I have not had and don't yet have experince using 950 switching since I try to go direct on all video. You mention your new dish box, check any choices it might have the prior did not...and sometimes these choices are not in logical designated areas such as 'setup'.

I just had trouble with the LCD when a new HD Dish was added on the roof not liking some 'retrace' choices in the Direct receiver. While I had the old round dish on line it had not applied. Created some very wierd artifacts depending on setting yet only sporadicaly on certain channels.

#19191 - 02/18/03 09:46 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

thanks SH & SLL. i don't have time to do system checking out like a lotta people. that's another reason for early retirement. we have a small portable WFM at work i think i'll go ahead and put on the sat box...i suspect there's the problem and per SLL, i'll check the menus on it for any other setup snafu's. i'm just more used to broadcast equipment. if we have that trouble, say on a sx deck, with a SDI (10 bit, mpeg-2) signal, it's usual because of sloppy baseband signals...improper backporch, unlocked or erratic color burst signals or some such. but those machines have extensive menus (& no ones allowed to mess with em but us)...you simply go into a setup menu and tell the machine that your gonna force a signal down its throat...and push accept...voila...crappy home shot of a plane going down is now sucked in and stabilized and quantified. did i once say that there are some good reasons for digital?
still...don't make me laugh at myself...this darn consumer gear is harder to figure out. probably cause i'm spoiled.
o and yeh, SLL i haven't been in one place for very long since '67. 2 years ago i was trying to put a handle on where the heck i'd been for the last 12 years...i pulled out all the expense reports i hadn't thrown away and started a file of where when and why...it got to about 125 and i just had to stop, there was still about 75 reports to go and that was 2 years ago! about 30% were in the states, the rest were S.america, europe,russia,far east,middle east, and a few places i don't even know how to find on a map today. oy vay! just the last four months i was in afghanistan, palistine,isreal (some think that's the same place...wrong!),jordan,and then kuwait...and they wanted me to go to yemen before i went home...i doth protest against that...(although they do have legal alcohol in that country). kuwait's so dry it's like the state i grew up in, miss-a-sipp-ee. liquor is everywhere..if you can afford it...150 a bottle. and the whole time i was just playing statsboro blues in me head. i knew when i got home there'd be some vinyl...and sweet melissa...and a new surround processor to tickle.

#19192 - 02/18/03 09:51 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

how did this column start anyway. i think we forgot about the mp3, huh? so far, no unlock on the set...funny, it was only on the independent film network i saw this. and that's about the only channel i watch, #2 is comedy central...love that news show...the only real news show ... in the world! (please don't tell eason jordan about this)
p.s. don't tell my friends i listen to mp3...i am an analogue guru. ripe & read

#19193 - 02/18/03 09:56 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
t just the last four months i was in afghanistan, palistine,isreal (some think that's the same place...wrong!),jordan,and then kuwait...

You've been in some real choice vacation spots, haven't you! Any Harley dealers in Afghanistan?

#19194 - 02/18/03 11:45 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

ever heard of Maben? I have some relatives there....one of my 'mutt' roots comes from that state. Choctaw (4 greats back) grandmother.
Good luck on the horizontal glitch, sounds like you'll have more insight than I will have been able to aquire after 20 years (when you have time) for setup for media related services. Unfortunately, round here we are the anal retentive set, our gear never lets you"stabilize and quantify and....stuff signal down its throat..." I can't afford THAT kind of gear, I have to learn to (work around) what IT wants to do and work my wiles on it, (when I can come up with them).

#19195 - 02/19/03 02:17 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

nah, i don't think there's one there, yet, but perhaps the world bank will help out. I stayed mostly at camp bagram in the mountains (brrr) and then a month in kabul a few months back. it's really not a bad place. we have an estate near the fringes of the city...really pretty, enclosed with a circular drive (in gate,out gate),with posted guards,24/7, the house is L shaped with bedrooms upstairs and down in one wing and the other has offices and huge kitchen and sat tv and big ol ceilings and outside we have our own 70 year old grape vines hanging from lattices that stretch across the front L and cross over the circular drive. gonna miss that. we also staff members of AKE at places like that...a group of ex-british (mostly scot) SBS and SAS military commandos. a great bunch and they always make sure i have a bottle o scotch where er i roam!

#19196 - 02/19/03 02:29 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

SLL:ever heard of Maben? I have some relatives there....one of my 'mutt' roots comes from that state. Choctaw (4 greats back) grandmother./
No, where's that? there are many reservations round here and mississippi (where i'm from)and N & S carolina. most are Choctaw and Cherokee. the cherokee name actually is generic for several hundred tribes that are considered ...genetically from the same ...blood i guess would be the term. on my mothers side there were 2 cherokee wifes, i guess that makes her (a burns from robert the bard) a scotish-indian, and i'd be a scottish-indian-englishman-american...or perhaps jst a scottish rite?
by the by...where is 'round here'? i think i read your bio page as i usual do that fore i answer anyone but i forget...that's age for you. there's two things you lose at my age. one's your memory and i can't remember the other one. sounds like you work in tv or media or communication (great album by dire straits). vhat does u do? for money SLL?

#19197 - 02/19/03 05:11 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

where is ‘round here’?. First you come find me….then draw a circle [round me] that’s.. round here.

I misspoke in that sentence however meaning ‘round the Outlaws’ or ‘round’ any other retail grade AV products, which don’t have luxury of such quantilazation and stabilization as when you stated: “simply go into a setup menu and tell the machine that your gonna force a signal down its throat...and push accept...voila”

Maben = Oktibbeha County. Starkville or (much father east) Columbus would be closet recognizable bumps in the roads. A Scott!? Sore that’s pracktickly a heathen, ye are. You need the much more refined blend in my genealogy, (McCarthy) a proper Irish/Indian. Ta Bron orm, mo chroi goes out to ye. Ye pore uain! Tis terrible to be wanting of proper chlann!
Síth!

”sounds like you work in tv or media or communication” I wish! Window treatments (mainly commercial -residential, and I stay as far away from that (by running to Outlaw) as I can in my spare time.

#19198 - 02/19/03 05:39 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Oktibbeha county! Well, I'll be... I spent four and a half years there, getting my degree from Mississippi State. I thought the name Maben sounded familiar, but wasn't sure why.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#19199 - 02/19/03 08:41 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
Desperado

I spent four and a half years there, getting my degree from Mississippi State.
You prob. had a more ‘refined’ time than my 2 visits. The first at about 12-14 of age with my Grandmother to see her sister and the Great Gparents homestead. They scared me to death there. Not heathens by any stretch but the kids in residence expected me to be worldly and wild coming from a ‘big –wicked’ city. And I thought someone had dropped me right in the middle of the movie Deliverance, banjo’s and all. (my mother would have died). 14 year old’s driving their Daddy’s trucks…..all the kids knew who was sleeping with whom, ( they only had one theater to keep them busy and it rolled the same tape for a month at a time). The second trip I was married and went with the women in the family for the Great Aunt Reunion. The Gt Aunt in Miss. won’t leave the state therefore to meet, - 4 from Calif. and others elsewhere, - had to travel to her in Maben. It was hilarious listening to 80 year women reminisce about fights when they pitched “Mother’s good teacup” at each other and fought over which would walk and who would ride on the one horse vs the one mule, when sent to ‘fetch’ molasses and ground flour. Light years away….from my upbringing ….and a very hard but very good life for my GM.

#19200 - 02/19/03 09:18 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

i have been reading and re-reading that last post SLL..i have been laughin so hard that i ... jst can't stand myself...i still can't quit dang it! now that's just not fair...oh...mine...ghot! that is exactly! wheere i'm from! i wuz born 2 miles from 'the crossroads'..in clarksdale, moved out all the way to the other side of ...OXFORD...to pontotoc...went from 1st to mid 7th grade there...place was like alice in wonderland,there, to me. jerked out of hole in 7th (1962...A.D.) and moved 15 & 1/2 miles away to...TUPELo, home o ellllvis! life smacked me in the face! welcome to subur-bee--uh! factory town...old people...no where ta go. no thing to dream perchance upon...so then we had a war...oh goody, i can leave home now...i can't reallly remember that decadence that well..they tell me it was like the sixties of something. but it wuz so far from 2012....
"what is the price of experience? it is bought in the market place where none can come to buy...it is bought by everything a man has...his heart his wife his children. it is an easy thing to sing to the wind...to hear a hungery raven cry...it is an easy thing......." W.B.,a long time ago

------------------
t higg

#19201 - 02/19/03 09:35 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

i forgot all the other comments ya got started. ok-ah-tibbee county...there...phonetics work well here. i know that area somewhat, he thinks, but it's been years...of course i still go back, got a sister and mother back there. clarksdale's the main home and some other little towns...we're all over there. in fact...we're all RE-LATED! h--l i think it's true...my third cousin is conway twitty! he's a jenkins of clarksdale which mathmatically makes him ... my cousin.
so, let's see...if robert johnson fell down at the crossroads (hwy 6 & 49) and muddy waters was born there later at a base of 3, and i was born there after waters at a base of 1.5 (3/1.5) then ....mddy waters is my ...daddy! and elvis is my ...brother!
i need a marguarita...and a jelly do-nut! priscilla

#19202 - 02/19/03 09:44 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

oh yeh, con way is dead...all the jenkins had that stomach problem thing. sooo, starkville...cow college...we used to pick muchrooms there by the friggin sack full. and then the agri-dept. found out what chemical to put into cow food that killed the spores...i think about that every time i bite into a cow. mooooooooooooooooooooo
we used ta drive to mayhew junction...cause that wuz the best place to get beer in all of the 'dry' counties...cept for going north to buford pusser country in tennessee about 50 or 60 miles. drive thru, legal alcohol...my dadee met Buford Pusser..he didn't look much like the actor...cept they were about the same stature. we could get ...STROH'S up there! drank 3 each on the way back every day to catch pyscho class in bonneSville jr. college. least that's the way the Grassroots pronounced it one nite. ouch!

------------------
t higg

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts