Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#19179 - 02/17/03 01:24 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
...., “worst wrecks you ever saw in your entire life”.......

Ooooooh, Yeah. When I was twenty-something and stupid (in contrast to being the age I am now, and stupid), I took one of my bikes out for "a short spin", and figured I didn't need a helmet - WRONG!! I went out of control around a corner and hit a tree, taking the bark of the tree off with my face!

Now I wear a helmet regularly....

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19180 - 02/17/03 01:42 AM Re: mp3 for bikes
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Did somebody say pitchers of margaritas????

if you had those before the short spin into the bark of the tree, then you were probably limp resultant in your giving somewhat when the tree did not, which probably rather helped matters. (LEGAL DISCAILMER: this is not recommended unless on a closed track with professional drivers as preformed by people who never die in commercials)

[your not superman you know]

#19181 - 02/17/03 09:00 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Smart Little Lena:
Did somebody say pitchers of margaritas????

if you had those before the short spin into the bark of the tree, then you were probably limp resultant in your giving somewhat when the tree did not, which probably rather helped matters. (LEGAL DISCAILMER: this is not recommended unless on a closed track with professional drivers as preformed by people who never die in commercials)

[your not superman you know]

I said I was older and stupid, not older and an idiot!

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19182 - 02/18/03 12:01 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
did i miss the party? where are the margarities, anyway?
am back at work after 3 weeks vacation after a month in kuwait after a month in palestine and isreal after a month in afghanistan after...now where is that party? it's been cold down here in hotlanta...got to ride me youngest girl saturday on the bike for a whole half hour...brrrr. tuesday now and yesterday turned in my 2 week notice to cnn.
thought they'd just tell me to go away but was surprised by the reaction round here.
round here...they don't treat people like they used to do...round here, we got aol to contend with all we do (angels of lucifer, yikes). looks like...and believe me, they don't do this much anymore...gonna throw a lil get together somewhere...w/ margareeetaas! ya'll are all of course invited. several of the enganeers have come by my a/v room to hear the 950...got more than a few interested in one (and the other products) after they had a look/listen. believe...cnn field engineers are a hard bunch to impress. hey soundhound...i forget if i mentioned it but i have a soundcraft 24 ch. also. trying to mod it for my g-20 van. it fits perfectly on my back bench when i throw the switch that converts it to a full-size bed. problem is my 1200 watt inverter is to small to power it. we have some 4800watt units but they're 24vdc in (for our humvees in the mid.east. i'm in the process of mounting my rodger LS3/5a's in there with either my lil crown or my sony 50/50 car amp. intending to use it as a mobile when i move to the blue ridge mtns. in the next month or 2. got a lot of musician friends up there...bluegrass,deadheads,original-contemparary writers and pickers. got a small, balanced 8 ch. for emergencies in there, too. mic selection is very very small but have a few primos and people to borrow from. gotta select a small master deck,too. as of now using svhs hi-fi,19 hundreds century ES sony cassette deck. probably gonna go dat soon but i need some type of 4 or 8 track system that won't take up much more room in there. any ideas for hard drive hardware or similar?

#19183 - 02/18/03 02:20 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of changes for the worse at CNN, like that stupid "news ticker" thing at the bottom of the screen, and a very pronounced "sensationalist" leaning that's as bad as local news. AOL is going down the toilet evidently, and taking a lot of good companies along with it.

If you are considering doing any type of recording, I would definately go the direct to hard disc route. The DAT format is good, but like all such data tape formats, tapes become unplayable with time, or on different machines. With a computer, it's easy to edit, as you already know, and burning ad CD from your mix is very easy and quick. The Digidesign ProTools system is kind of the de facto standard in the movie post and music recording industries. You can actually get a limited 8 track version of the program free, for either the Macintosh of Windows. You just need a reasonable hard disc (the internal one is good for most work), and your outboard equipment. You can do mixes completely in the digital enviornment, or route the tracks through your Soundcraft for mixing. They have systems all the way from the software only, which uses your computer sound card, up to systems like mine with multiple channels etc. I don't think they have an adapter to mount the system on your bike, however Here's their web site. Navigate to "ProTools Free" and go from there

http://www.digidesign.com/

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19184 - 02/18/03 04:17 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

well, musta hit the wrong button. i was just doing a reply and it...dissapeared?! do you know how HAL was named (by kubrick)?
anyway...i was saying...? i forgot now. oh yeh. i think that's the same program that a friend uses. i helped him put his system in and sometimes go over for mastering but he does all his editing on his computer after all is mastered on a 24track to 1inch 8 track. sounds really good...he just need a better studio...which he just bought with his new house...bigger can better. he's the same guy i said was at 'flatwatch' but yesterday he told me that he quit maintaining that site a year ago. whoops.
i do like your idea...the cameras we've been developing with sony (shhhh,tho it's really no big secret now)are also hard drive, athough the beta one we will soon (oops,not me)be field testing is a dvd/r type. at last at last free at last...no more tape drives! if people only knew the problems that must be corrected when one puts a tape in a camera and runs off into a shoot..bouncing round with that thing and then expecting a perfict picture to come out...the same people who want to know why the camera is 20 grand without a lens! where the heck was i?
they keep interupting me to do work things. i really can't be bothered with that.
well it's 415pm,gotta wind down and go home. will try and get back on this tonite.

#19185 - 02/18/03 04:19 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

i took 6 hours to type the above and it has so many typos...i can't even understand it. sorry, g & g's & outlaws.

#19186 - 02/18/03 05:11 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by thigg:
..no more tape drives! i

Funny, I have some analog 1/4" open reel tapes from the 1950s that play beautifully, but I have some DATs that are only a year or so old that won't play at all. I do have some open reel tapes however from the "dark era" of the 1970s/80s that had their oxide coating turn to goo. Push the play button and the tape just stands there, not moving because of all the friction. Baking them in an oven will give one play....maybe....

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#19187 - 02/18/03 06:37 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
charlie Offline
Desperado

The computer school of conspiracy theories. I like it. HAL is I-1,B-1,M-1; Coincidence? I think not! How about the really interesting one - Windows New Technology, architected by one of the big VMS guys.....

Gotta love it.

#19188 - 02/18/03 07:32 PM Re: mp3 for bikes
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

right dave...i mean charlie.
so...does hal drip oil? i'm jst now breaking in my 950. had one little problem a few nites ago that may be something else. if you have the 950 maybe you can help. watching dish movies this weekend and 2 times in one movie and once in the next, my tv lost vertical hold. i know my tv will lose horizontal hold on big bang type transtions...a hard fast cut and it just loses clamp...heck it's a 12 year old 36" GE...but a decent set. i'm not as big a fancier of video as i am of audio, admitted.
i'm running all 's' videos into the 950 and outputs to the GE and the s-vcr with 12 foot interconnects (medium grade, gold pins) from the vcr and dish box and either a 6 or 12 back to the set. have you or anyone had a vertical unlock running video this way (or the other 2)? i may bring in a waveform monitor from work to look at the sync level and burst width in case it's the sat box...it's new too,and my tv doesn't like low sync...a lotta sat and cable ...companies intentionally output the sync low...makes it hard to copy or send around the house without paying the piper. the backhaul sat company we use, if we don't use our own gear, does have a nice 40 units as it should (but their burst is really 'ticky'...can't even lock a frame sync to it!)just curious if this has happened to you or anyone before i start pulling things apart. i probably shoulda put this on the 950 page, huh. well, maybe later...gotta go get some su su shee for now.

------------------
t higg

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Outlaw Ben), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts