Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19068 - 12/03/02 05:46 PM Network Enabled
TallPaul Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA, USA
Network Enabled Audio Equipment

Throw out the RS-232 port and insert a LAN card. Preempt the entire industry and provide a wireless or BlueTooth PCMCIA port as well. Not only should Outlaw provide computer network capabilities but they should make the interface 'open' so programmers like myself can create our own web pages for our products. All current remote and front pannel operations should be included plus some that aren't available such as a bit rate / error correction on digital streams.

The first company to provide LAN capability on a 300 disc CD player won't be able to keep up with demand. Imagine a CD player that you can control from your computer with song search and time in/out capabilities.

Why settle for what the 'Industry' says you can do, be an Outlaw and provide full control to the users via a LAN enabled machine.

#19069 - 12/09/02 04:28 PM Re: Network Enabled
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
You can buy a slinky to connect your Sony CD megachangers with your PC already. Maybe for other brands, too; I don't know.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#19070 - 12/09/02 07:06 PM Re: Network Enabled
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Slinky? I don't understand, please elaborate Matthew.

------------------
m-mmeyer
GO TWINS
My DVD's
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#19071 - 12/09/02 07:53 PM Re: Network Enabled
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
It's Slinky
it's Slinky
for fun it's a wonderful toy
It's Slinky
it's Slinky
it's fun for a girl and a boy

That concluded our musical interlude for today. Stay tuned for our next program where Paul will ask:

"Is the Sony slinky thing to connect a Sony CD megachanger to a computer usable with any megachangers other than Sony ones?"

Nevertheless, a megachanger (DVD and CD) with a common RJ45 network jack would be very attractive even to those of us (myself included) who have never felt the desire to own one.

Furthermore, a megachanger that had CD, DVD, SACD and DVD-A capability would be a VERY attractive product. Add firewire for digital datastream output of the audio content of ALL of the above formats so that outboard ADC processors, in whaterver form they may take, can do the data conversion to analog form, then the product would be EXTREMELY attractive.

I'm drooling even now.

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

#19072 - 12/19/02 10:35 AM Re: Network Enabled
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Sorry, I should have elaborated. As far as I know, it only works with Sony, and it connects to the Control AI/II port on the back. It'll also connect to minidisc players and anything else that has this (I think) Sony proprietary port. Here is a link:

http://www.nirvis.com/slink-e.htm

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts