Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19059 - 11/17/02 06:00 AM SACD/CD/DVD-Audio/DVD player
High End User Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR USA
I'd like to see a digital front end that covers all of the above formats for under a grand, similar to the Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai.

Or just a good SACD player that also plays CDs well too for under $750, and a good DVD player that also plays CDs well for under $500.

#19060 - 02/27/03 01:04 PM Re: SACD/CD/DVD-Audio/DVD player
thigg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stone Mtn., Ga./USA
mine doesn't do sacd but it does do dvd-A. i spent a year and a half comparing different DVD's CD sound next to my $750 transport w/ outboard dac. finally listened to the toshiba 4800. very close on cd's, video and menu's are very very good and it does uncompressed 5.1 DVD-A's....$200. there are some newer models that do it all but i haven't heard em. i am wary of a do-everything unit (perhaps wrongly) but the hi-speed switching/sampling of sacd requires very high build quality. that kind of sampling produces horrible noise and all kinda bad things...it has to be tamed very gently to produce the analogue type sound that the sacd-only units produce.

------------------
t higg

#19061 - 02/27/03 04:26 PM Re: SACD/CD/DVD-Audio/DVD player
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Or just a good SACD player that also plays CDs well too for under $750, and a good DVD player that also plays CDs well for under $500.

How about the Sony SACD players? The majority are priced under a grand and work well with both required formats plus DVDs. I think you can find used flagship models on audiogon for around that price point also.

I'll agree with thigg on being wary of universal players at the moment. The current offerings tend to favor one format over the other. Also, find any post about the Pioneer on the 950 forum to read about set-up troubles from all the available options!!

#19062 - 02/27/03 05:13 PM Re: SACD/CD/DVD-Audio/DVD player
charlie Offline
Desperado

Plus the Outlaw lineup has some holes that need filled and a CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD is a bit outside their core competency. If I were a stockholder I'd favor sticking to what we're great at until we're well covered before venturing into new areas.

Some things Outlaw could do that would logically fill in their line:

- A bridgeable 300 watt stereo amp. Doubles as a killer mono-block.
- A $900 - $1200 receiver.
- An updated 1050.
- An analog 6/8 channel preamp, with passive relay bypass.
- A $900 - $1200 integrated HT amp.
- A higher end HT Pre/Pro.
- An affordable but very high quality parametric EQ.
- A more sophisticated ICBM type thing, including a parametric EQ and phase controls.

Just my $0.02

EDIT: [spelling!]

[This message has been edited by charlie (edited February 27, 2003).]

Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users