Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#19025 - 09/27/02 05:49 PM Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC, NY
with marantz and pioneer (oh yeah and apex) having them in the market and onkyo and yamaha announcing others, is Outlaw going to be ready to enter the market?

I know that they were waiting for format issues to be resolved, but if companies are now starting to throw their hats into the ring?

Rich

#19026 - 10/03/02 04:09 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Here's my wish list:

complete bass management
no chroma bug
zoom mode
10 - 15 lbs or more (not a cheap plastic thing)
$750 or so (in Outlaw pricing, that should be equivalent to maybe $1000 to $1500 for a normal retail price)
ability to turn off video (processing) circuits when listening to tunes
separately shielded power supplies for internal analog & digital components/circuits

I personally don't care (at the moment) one way or the other if there's a digital interface. (Not a deal breaker.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#19027 - 10/04/02 04:21 AM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
Jason Kent Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Michigan
So what ARE the universal players?

The Apex 7701 was a total FLOP - didn't work, recalled, exchanged, etc. Supposedly there is to be a 7702 but I believe they have burned off their market for anything costing more than USD59 - they basically are the Dixie Cup of the DVD market.

#19028 - 10/04/02 03:59 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

IMO, Apex is garbage.

Pioneer has 2 current ones, the DV-45a (I have one) and the 47ai. Marantz also has one based on the older Pioneer DV-47a, the 8300.

Onkyo and Integra just announced universal players. Yamaha is supposed to have one out by Christmas.

And rumored is a uni-player from Denon early next year.

#19029 - 10/04/02 09:30 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
RichW Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NYC, NY
Also Teac announced one was well.

TI also announced a digital connection for sacd/dvd-a.

I think, as it stands right now the Yamaha is the closest thing to what you want. It has DCDI and a list of $1000.

Rich

#19030 - 10/11/02 08:01 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
Every review I've read for these universal players give high marks for the DVD-Audio/PCM portion of the player and rather luke warm to poor comments about the SACD/DSD side of things.

I think a true universal player will have to have completely different decoder and DAC sections designed specifically for each format that do them both justice.

Dan

#19031 - 10/11/02 08:28 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

It's not as simple as that for a lot of reasons.

1) Most of the reviews I read on the 47a gave it good marks for everything. The Perfect Vision was the notable exception. (HTM, S&V, SGHT, and there was some web reviews I dug up too. Lee Scoggins had a thread on HTF concerning this.)

2) The 47A has a Sony chip in it for SACD/DSD decoding. That's why I thought it was ironic that this player got picked on for its SACD performance.

#19032 - 11/18/02 07:58 PM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Kevin,

Perfect wish list. I know most people wouldn't care, but let me add.... able to downmix a phantom center in SACD and DVD-A mode. Don't make be beg for that one Outlaws!

As I mentioned a long time ago here, and Kevin recently mentioned. Outlaw doesn't need to wait for a digital out solution.

If the player's great then you could could do little harm running it into a multichan pre-amp.

No need to wait for a newer Outlaw pre/pro just to make redundant decoding in an Outlaw player and a new pre/pro.

#19033 - 11/19/02 07:59 AM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
CBWills Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin C Brown:
IMO, Apex is garbage.

Pioneer has 2 current ones, the DV-45a (I have one) and the 47ai. Marantz also has one based on the older Pioneer DV-47a, the 8300.

Onkyo and Integra just announced universal players. Yamaha is supposed to have one out by Christmas.

And rumored is a uni-player from Denon early next year.

The latest issue of Sound&Vision reviews the DV-45A (They reviewed the 47A in May). They seem to like it alot (Surprise? Well, they did like the 1050 and the ICBM). Apparently the only thing they didn't like was its "plain styling".
However, at this point $700 is a little too rich for me, and I know this may sound crass, but I really like a five-disc carousel (the DV-45A is a one-disc drawer). As long as I can remember which disc is in what position.
The WAF also enters into the equation, along with a question.
Is SACD really that good?
I have heard it, but only briefly, and I didn't hear an appreciable diference. Maybe the recording wasn't the best it could have been.
I have never heard DVD-Audio, so the same question stands as for SACD.

#19034 - 11/19/02 10:13 AM Re: Now that there are a few companies and more announced that are doing universal player
bbarden Offline
Gunslinger

Which issue of Sound and Vision? I don't seem to be able to find it on their website, and my local newstand has the Nov. issue...not in there either. Is it in Dec issue? Just curious to read the review, I've got a 45a and couldn't be happier, paid $420 locally.

Quote:
Originally posted by CBWills:
The latest issue of Sound&Vision reviews the DV-45A (They reviewed the 47A in May). They seem to like it alot (Surprise? Well, they did like the 1050 and the ICBM). Apparently the only thing they didn't like was its "plain styling".
However, at this point $700 is a little too rich for me, and I know this may sound crass, but I really like a five-disc carousel (the DV-45A is a one-disc drawer). As long as I can remember which disc is in what position.
The WAF also enters into the equation, along with a question.
Is SACD really that good?
I have heard it, but only briefly, and I didn't hear an appreciable diference. Maybe the recording wasn't the best it could have been.
I have never heard DVD-Audio, so the same question stands as for SACD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts