Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#19010 - 08/26/02 04:58 PM Component video switch
TexasGuy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
How about a simple (but high-quality) component video switch. It should be relatively easy to put together and would be a nice complement to the 950 that has only two component video inputs, and the 1050 which has none.

I've got 4 component video devices (two DVD players, an X-Box, and a high definition cable box. I could easily see adding more in the near future, like a DVD/CD multi-changer, DirecTV receiver, or a Home Theater PC.

Keep it simple: Something like 4-5 inputs with one output, gold connectors, remote controlled. All in a nice Outlaw case (roughly the size of the ICBM) with a couple of simple LED indicator lights. Price it around $200-250 and I'd buy it tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by TexasGuy (edited August 26, 2002).]

#19011 - 08/27/02 10:19 AM Re: Component video switch
AndersP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Porsgrunn, Norway
Great idea!
But from where and how is it to be controlled? With its own remote? Ohh, now i get it! With the remote of the 950 or any other larning remote of course.

#19012 - 08/28/02 09:54 AM Re: Component video switch
TexasGuy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
Thanks, AndersP. That was my thoughts exactly. Just include a throwaway remote to provide the codes to a universal learning remote.

I've had a chance to shop around a little more on this, and discovered there are a lot of people looking for a similar product. There are a few push button switches, but I hate the idea of getting up from the couch to switch video feeds. The only remote-controlled switch I could find comes in a cheap plastic enclosure - sort of like a modified USB hub for computers. Certainly not something I want visible in my A/V cabinet.

Also, having given some thought to future products I may buy, I would modify my wish list somewhat to say 6-8 input connections and maybe a small VFD screen rather than LED lights. Of course, this would increase the price somewhat, but the extra capacity for the future would be worth it. If that is cost prohibitive, at least make the switch stackable.

#19013 - 08/29/02 04:13 PM Re: Component video switch
AndersP Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Porsgrunn, Norway
I´m with you all the way.
And wouldn´t it be cool with a mini LCD display/screen, like the one in my DV-cam, that could provide projector users some " on line monitoring " of the picture being transmitted via the video switch?
I believe the rediculously priced Mark Levinson pre/pro has this feature.
How expensive can it be to include?

#19014 - 09/20/02 12:17 PM Re: Component video switch
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
I have some ideas to include in this. With the idea of using the remote to switch between inputs, what about having the learning function on the switching unit. This way , it's possible to switch with only one button.

Example, I am watching normal TV and now want to watch a movie. I press "DVD" on the remote and both the preamp/receiver and the component switcher read the same signal and switch to DVD. Then I want to play video games and press one button to change the input on both units at the same time.

The two units would have to be right next to each other so that the signal would hit both, but if the switcher is small, like the ICBM, then they should be able to stack on the same shelf fairly easily.

I think a small display showing which input is selected would be very helpful. Like what the 1050 and 950 have, could be smaller too. I'm not sure about the one AndersP suggested. It might only cost a little extra, but it doesn't really seem necessary. It seems kind of gimicky and that doesn't seem like Outlaws style. I don't really like having any extra lights on when I'm watching something either. Just so I understand what you're saying, you want a miniscreen of some type on the component switcher that would show the same picture that the TV is showing?

With the number of inputs, I think 5 or 6 would be good. There will be some inputs on the Preamp too, and not very many people with a receiver would have a lot of devices with component video.

The last thing is to keep the quality very high. Like that of many preamps costing three grand or more. I don't know about the quality of the 950's component inputs, but Outlaw kind of blows this scale with their superb price/performance ratio. Sacrifice gimicky things to keep the cost down somewhat, but keep the switching quality high.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts