Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#188 - 07/14/01 05:56 PM DVD player suggestions to compliment the 1050
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Just a forum to post comments or suggestions for a good DVD player to match up with the 1050.

#189 - 07/14/01 06:25 PM Re: DVD player suggestions to compliment the 1050
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You're talking about listing players that match well with the 1050? That's not a bad idea, and could even be extended to other components (CD players and such). Speakers are already sort of covered in the speakers forum.

My personal experience of DVD players hooked up to the 1050 is limited. I've got a Panasonic DVD-A310 that I've very much enjoyed, but it's an older player (purchased in November '98) that has developed a reputation for poor reliability in the last year or two. Mine's still chugging along (knock on wood), but is likely to get replaced in the next year or so. The new Panasonic DVD-RP91 has recently piqued my interest (progressive scan, DVD Audio support, and from all indications the equal or better of higher-priced Sony and Toshiba players). Anybody tried the RP91 yet?

What about CD players? I've been extremely impressed with the Yamaha CDC-775 5-disc carousel player. It's got an optical out, but the internal DAC is Yamaha's top of the line unit and when used with good interconnects (TMC Yellow Labels at the moment, which made a huge difference) sounds better to me than a digital connection to the 1050. The Harman/Kardon FL-8300 definitely benefitted from a digital connection to the 1050 (even with a good coax digital cable and not-so-good analog cables), but the FL-8300 has disc-handling problems that caused it to be replaced.

#190 - 07/15/01 12:47 AM Re: DVD player suggestions to compliment the 1050
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Yes I too am looking at the Panasonic RP91K.

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/DVD/index_byrating.shtml

This unit is getting Rave reviews wherever I go and amazingly all my local dealers have never even heard of it. They are all still selling the RV31 or RV65. With all the fuss about this unit, I'd buy one now before the retailers (Circuit City, Good Guys etc) start carrying it and they jam up the price.

The only way I could order it is online. With all the fuss over the failure of .com and the click and mortar thing, I'm finding that in round 2, The .com's are suddenly showing their advantages. The darn stores Circuit City, Good Guys never have the availability of product that the online stores can provide in the same time frame. They just aren't as up to date as the online folks. And hey look at Outlaw they Rock!

So Outlaw when are you folks gonna release a DVD player =)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts