Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#19007 - 11/14/02 01:00 PM Re: DSP based time alignment/EQ gizmo
charlie Offline
Desperado

Have a lookit this:

Nyquist theorem. The Nyquist theorem states that if a signal V(t) does not contain frequencies higher than fs/2 (where fs = 1/Ts), then it can be fully recovered from its sampled values V( nTs) at discrete times tn = nTs ...

http://www.digital-recordings.com/publ/pubrec.html

I want to move to theory 'cause everything seems to work there. In reality the higher than x2 the sample rate is the easier it is to implement. I suspect a x2 system might actually be impossible to build, but I'm not enough of a math genius to prove it.

#19008 - 11/15/02 06:51 PM Re: DSP based time alignment/EQ gizmo
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
There seems to be missing one very important point in this discussion of the AD/DA process.

The final step in the digital to analog conversion process always includes a low pass filter between the Nyquist frequency and the word clock frequency i.e. for a 44.1K system, between ~20Khz and 44.1Khz.

This does two very imprtant things:

It strips off the word clock (44.1K etc).

It removes ALL harmonics of the audio above the Nyquist frequency.

Thus - a 20Khz tone stripped of all of it's harmonics equals a pure SINE WAVE.

The raw output of the D/A converter before the low pass, for a frequency approaching the Nyquist frequency (20Khz) is an approximation of a square wave, not a triangle wave, due the sample and hold stage.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited November 15, 2002).]

#19009 - 11/15/02 09:30 PM Re: DSP based time alignment/EQ gizmo
charlie Offline
Desperado

Sure enough.

Actually I intentionally skipped a lot of steps in interest of clairity, at sacrifice of detail. This is what I was generalizing when I said "The simple 'connect the dots' shape contains frequencies higher than the Nyquist frequency. Or we could say the D/A step produced these frequencies, however we want to look at it. In any case, they will be removed in the next step."

Not technically complete, but I know how much I hate it when I ask a question and get an overly detailed answer to a question. It's hard to know where to draw the line.

One item that is also very often ignored or forgotten is the low pass before the sampling step.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM