Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#84260 - 07/10/10 01:30 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: charlie]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: charlie
*I* had hoped we'd see more self powered speakers and within those, class D amps that were precisely matched to the driver they powered. No dice though.

Um....you mean like almost every powered subwoofer sold today (including those from Outlaw) going back a decade or so?

It's all about economies of scale. Once folks clue in to the fact that they can get "audiophile" quality amplification from a device that weighs 10% as much as a typical class AB amp and wastes substantially less power producing wasted heat, the numbers will quickly start to tilt in favor of digital amps.

I LOVE my Outlaw 755 boat anchor. It sounds great. BUT it generates a LOT of heat, uses quite a bit of electricity, and is very heavy. There are 5 channel digital amps out there today that produce similar power output (or more), require much less energy to operate, and throw off a LOT less heat for not much more than I paid for my Outlaw amp 5 years ago.

Best,

Edited by Ritz2 (07/10/10 01:31 PM)

#84262 - 07/10/10 02:26 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: Ritz2]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
No love for whats proven and time tested? I mean yes new technology is cool and very much the future, but lets not crap on out former loves. The grass aint always greener.

Ill still stand behind my "boat anchor" amp. Ill live with the heat (although mine doesnt get hot at all?)and added electricity in order to have that class A/B lush mid range and aggressive imaging that it delivers. Until I hear a digital amp that really delivers Ill stay the course too, sound quality is worth the extra $5 a month in electric...and if it did get I would use that heat on the winter? cool

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#84265 - 07/10/10 06:58 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: Jimna]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: Jimna
No love for whats proven and time tested? I mean yes new technology is cool and very much the future, but lets not crap on out former loves. The grass aint always greener.

Ill still stand behind my "boat anchor" amp. Ill live with the heat (although mine doesnt get hot at all?)and added electricity in order to have that class A/B lush mid range and aggressive imaging that it delivers. Until I hear a digital amp that really delivers Ill stay the course too, sound quality is worth the extra $5 a month in electric...and if it did get I would use that heat on the winter? cool

A couple of decades ago, there was a similar argument as folks wistfully described their devotion to their fire bottle amps. Time marches on. I suspect Outlaw's fortunes would be a bit better if they ride the front of the wave rather than trying to cling to the past. There's still folks that make a living by putting together fancy class A triode amps with lots of brushed aluminum and other shiny bits, but that number is dwindling and the price of their products are escalating towards the stratosphere while the cost of quality digital amps are steadily falling.

Call me crazy, but I think a fella stands to make more profit selling 100,000 Hondas than 500 Lambos. smile

#84271 - 07/10/10 10:30 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: gonk]
fm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: gonk
If the technology can be made to work, the idea of a digital output to the amps is definitely intriguing, but even if we see those amps enter production I worry about trying to do it with today's HDMI. We start with the nightmare that is splitting HDMI - most processors with two HDMI outputs don't have both active at the same time because of the HDCP problems that it generates. They we get to the issue of controlling the audio output via HDMI: is it PWM or PCM? While the HDMI spec may theoretically work with PWM, has anybody actually done it? And when will processors incorporate the software to provide that signal? Then we have the issue of what you do if you don't have all of your amp channels in a single amp chassis. We have theaters with five channels, seven channels, and now (with the arrival of PLIIz) possibly even nine channels. How do we handle that if not by creating a single audio connection for each speaker? That connection gets messy in a hurry unless you require people to buy an amp with all of the channels in a single chassis.

At least one company was going to introduce such a "all digital" amplifier, but the technology apparently didn't mature and work well enough so that company went away. If an HDMI connector would be used, that would make the internals more complicated, almost duplicating the features inside a processor.

#84275 - 07/11/10 02:57 AM Re: Digital amps [Re: Ritz2]
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Ritz2
Originally Posted By: Jimna

A couple of decades ago, there was a similar argument as folks wistfully described their devotion to their fire bottle amps. Time marches on. I suspect Outlaw's fortunes would be a bit better if they ride the front of the wave rather than trying to cling to the past. There's still folks that make a living by putting together fancy class A triode amps with lots of brushed aluminum and other shiny bits, but that number is dwindling and the price of their products are escalating towards the stratosphere while the cost of quality digital amps are steadily falling.

Call me crazy, but I think a fella stands to make more profit selling 100,000 Hondas than 500 Lambos. smile

oh yes, your most likely right. I am a dieing breed. Another factor for my choices are use. Im only referring to a 2 channel application.

And I did get to hear a ICE amp a few months back and was impressed with overall SQ.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

#84311 - 07/15/10 01:54 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: Ritz2]
charlie Offline
Desperado

*I* had hoped we'd see more self powered speakers and within those, class D amps that were precisely matched to the driver they powered. No dice though.

Um....you mean like almost every powered subwoofer sold today (including those from Outlaw) going back a decade or so?

Well it will be a pretty boring system if it's composed of 8 self powered subs. What I'd like to see is more on the lines of the Martin Logan self powered speakers; I'd like to see self powered FULL RANGE speakers with optimally matched amps integrated, ready to be driven via a simple and cheap TOSLink optical interface, or via standard analog line inputs.

That would be ideal for me.

#84312 - 07/16/10 06:46 AM Re: Digital amps [Re: charlie]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Well it will be a pretty boring system if it's composed of 8 self powered subs. What I'd like to see is more on the lines of the Martin Logan self powered speakers; I'd like to see self powered FULL RANGE speakers with optimally matched amps integrated, ready to be driven via a simple and cheap TOSLink optical interface, or via standard analog line inputs.

That would be ideal for me.

Meridian has had something like this for ages. Be prepared to take out a mortgage though.

For the rest of us, I'd be tickled to simply replace my amp with a more efficient digital design. They're out there and the prices are dropping.

Best,

#84313 - 07/16/10 09:58 AM Re: Digital amps [Re: Ritz2]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Wouldn't it be cool to have the speakers self powered and wireless. It would gain a lot of WAF.

Edited by XenonMan (07/16/10 09:59 AM)

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#84314 - 07/16/10 02:02 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: XenonMan]
charlie Offline
Desperado

Originally Posted By: XenonMan
Wouldn't it be cool to have the speakers self powered and wireless. It would gain a lot of WAF.

Ooooooooh.

Heck with WAF, *I* want that. There's no reason I can think of we couldn't do that with something like Bluetooth.

#84320 - 07/17/10 07:19 PM Re: Digital amps [Re: charlie]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Somebody has to be doing it already. Even if someone bluetoothed a remote preamp with some powered speakers so the wires wouldn't have to cross the room.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM