Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 16 17 >
Topic Options
#18681 - 05/14/01 10:16 AM Re: DLP projector
Phil Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
I understand Outlaw was showing a DWIN projector at the Home Entertainment Expo. I assume this means that Outlaw is teaming up with DWIN on the Outlaw projector. That's probably a good sign since the Transvision has gotten good reviews by users.

Too bad it was a 4:3 aspect ratio. I hope that the final product will be a 16:9 native DLP panel. I'm holding out for a projector that will be able to do HDTV native.

-phil

#18682 - 06/04/01 05:27 PM Re: DLP projector
David James Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just read your news that your projector will be 10k. You also comment that the quality you demand requires that price. I'm not a projector guru but I have spent the past year reading about projectors and have come to conclusion that excellent projectors are available today for 4-8k. Have you spent any time reading the various web sites about projectors http://www.avsforum.com or http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com. Very Very few of the projectors discussed on those forums run 10k today and with Sony, Selco, Infocus, among others putting out new models in the next few months I can't imagine what is behind your decision, it's certainly inconsistent with your otherwise excellent strategies with your audio products. The best analogy would be like pricing your 1050 at about $1,200

#18683 - 06/04/01 09:26 PM Re: DLP projector
Avi Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern New Jersey, USA
$10K? Don't do a projector then. Who's the target market? The mass market is for RPTVs, and for those folks looking for a bigger picture/smaller box, portable business projectors are more than acceptable. They range from $3-5K. The volume provided by the business market keeps the cost down and the quality constantly improving. There's really no way Outlaw is going to compete here with InFocus or NEC, and they admit as much. That's fine.

Home theater enthusiasts willing to pay more for 16x9 LCD or DLP will go for Sony's new LCD projector, coming out later this year (basically, the 10HT with dramatically improved contrast and a much improved scaler). That'll retail for $7K at most (and possibly less on the street). Yamaha's new $10K (retail) DLP projector is in this space, too, and the street price will probably drop pretty quickly there too. So even if the Outlaw 16x9 DLP is slightly better somehow, at $10K street, it's not an Outlaw-style bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

So who's left? Home theater nuts willing to pay anything for the best image? They're still going to go for a 9" CRT. A $10K DLP has setup, size, and cost advantages, but if that matters, buy the Yamaha or Sony.

-avi

#18684 - 06/12/01 02:34 PM Re: DLP projector
truthseeker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Il
10K???....Puh-leeeez!
The outlaws are the masters of value, right?! So go do your thing!
Oh yeah, 16:9 IS a must. Quiet as well. I'm not convinced that the Outlaws can beat those competitors at their own game though.

#18685 - 06/23/01 04:27 AM Re: DLP projector
bbots Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA
I am trying to decide right now if I should purchase a DLP projector and here are my ideas....

Since this is for permanent installations you don't have to worry about making it light weight.

Build the unit in two pieces. The projector, a small box that will hang from the ceiling or require minimal table space. A "control" box that handles the different inputs, processing, power supplies. Connect the two digitally so high quality cables are not an issue.

Please no hokey remote control and no 5 watt speaker. This isn't for power point presentations....

Choose a lamp that is affordable to replace.

Since InFocus has new DLP projectors in the $4,000 price range I expect that you can beat this price!

#18686 - 06/25/01 01:25 PM Re: DLP projector
Dan Hitchman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fort Collins, CO USA
HDTV capable High rez. (not ~800 x 600) true 16x9 panel DLP with little to no rainbow effect (the color wheel design and speed is key here) and accurate color.

Gray scale, contrast, and black level should be as optimum as possible.

Full user settings for professional level adjustments.

Digital keystone correction.

Good throw distance adjustments.

A user screen area adjustable 2.35:1 "anamorphic" scaler mode for all input sources (even HDTV) (with memory settings for focusing, zooming, settings etc. along with it) so that a 1.78:1 anamorphic lens could be added that would allow 2.35:1 ratio movies to be shown using all of the pixels on the panel for added brightness (and perceived clarity) on a real scope ratio screen (I'd much rather have a constant height, variable width front projection system just like the movie theaters). If the scaling algorithm is advanced enough, this could work on 2.76:1 super-wide epics too (in a 2.35:1 frame).

The Sanyo PLV-60 16x9 LCD projector has this 2.35:1 squeeze feature (although in primative form), but crops part of the sides of the image off, won't let you shift the image up slightly (or down depending on the actual telecine framing of the film) before adding this feature (because some subtitled 2.35:1 movies have their typing pushed into the lower black letterbox bar even on anamorphic DVDs and HDTV broadcasts-- see Crouching Tiger as an example-- the words would be cut off when using this feature), and won't work with HDTV or high rez. signals (only 480i and 480p), and no memory settings.

The newest Faroudja/SAGE de-interlacer chip. Let's face it, most digital projectors have lousy de-interlacers included that add grain, artifacts, and pixelization to the image.

Allow an HTPC or outboard scaler to use the full panel resolution on all inputs.

RGB, component, FireWire, and DVI video inputs with upgradeable boards for when the CEA and the MPAA finally hash out a copy protection and digital video interface standard.

If you have both have upgradeable FireWire (the newest, highest bandwidth variety, which is backwards compatible) and DVI connections, you're set. If you only have one or the other or none at all, then the potential for premature obsolescence increases significantly.

The design of the box must not have light leakage, be properly ventilated with quiet fans, and have adaquate dust and lint control.

Etc. Etc.

------------------
Down with the MPAA!!

[This message has been edited by Dan Hitchman (edited June 25, 2001).]

#18687 - 06/28/01 12:33 AM Re: DLP projector
Phil Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
Hey Guys (Outlaw Audio)

I hope you're reading these posts. I have to agree with the others. $10K will price yourselves right out of the market.

If infocus produces the box that is rumored ($5K, 1280x720 DMD, external Faroujda scaler/selector) you guys won't stand a chance.

-phil

#18688 - 07/07/01 12:41 AM Re: DLP projector
bbots Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, USA
If infocus produces the box that is rumored ($5K, 1280x720 DMD, external Faroujda scaler/selector) you guys won't stand a chance.

Not a rumor, you can see it on their webpage. Check out the Infocus LP530!

#18689 - 07/18/01 11:07 PM Re: DLP projector
gw10nt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
Why DLP? I know that the market is saturated with LCDs and they don't look that good to begin with; but to me, DLP just looks like a mechanical failure waiting to happen. Stuck pixels and free-spinning colorwheels DO happen on these things. Is JVC asking too much to license D-ILA? If so, I recommend you guys stay out of the projector market. You might look into a good video interface/scaler ala Communication Specialties (a lot more versatile than a line doubler/quadrupler) instead. Just my opinion.

#18690 - 08/26/01 12:53 AM Re: DLP projector
nigel_ht Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I think I would agree with the sentiment that 10K is waaay too high. At that point Outlaw is on the same pricing tier as Runco...and Runco will bury Outlaw in that market segment.

More to the point, I doubt any current Outlaws would buy one...so why bother building a projector that is outside the range of your target demographic?

By continuing down this $10K track it appears that you actually aren't listening to your potential customers unless you think we're pairing current outlaw offerings with Runco projectors.

I'd be really surprised that if you surveyed all your customers that you'd find any with Runco equipment in their setup.

Nigel

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 16 17 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 88 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM