Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#18475 - 04/20/09 01:12 PM Maybe I'm over thinking this?
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
I have finally ordered a new LCD TV, a Samsung ln46A950, which I found at a decent price. Samsung's website is not terribly helpful about connections, but I finally determined that this TV has only an optical digital out for audio, no coax.

I am doing pretty well with over the air digital, and that probably will get better because at least some of the network affiliates in Your Nation's Capital will switch their digital signals to VHF in June. So I do not have cable or satellite. My question is, do I use the tuner in the TV and connect to my 1070 with a toslink cable, or do I continue to use my LG STB connected to the TV by a DVI - HDMI cable for video and to the 1070 by coax for audio?

I have not got the TV yet to experiment. So I'm looking for feedback from anyone who may have tried these options and made a choice.

#18476 - 04/21/09 02:49 AM Re: Maybe I'm over thinking this?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'd probably go with the TV's tuner and run an optical cable to the 1070, but you can always compare the two. The little experience I've had with HD tuners in newer TV's compared to older tuners suggests that they've improved, so the Samsung's built-in tuner may be better than the LG set-top box you have now.

#18477 - 04/22/09 11:48 AM Re: Maybe I'm over thinking this?
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Thanks Gong. I'll try it both ways when the new screen arrives. I have not used optical in the past, but I just got a toslink cable for the TV.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts