Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 24 of 25 < 1 2 22 23 24 25 >
Topic Options
#18423 - 11/19/09 01:56 AM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
MainelyOutlaw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern Maine
So is the jury still out on whether the upgrade is "worth it" for those of us using our 990 and relying on the analog connections?

#18424 - 11/22/09 12:23 AM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
JayDee Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nassau County NY
I'm in the same boat as well. I keep thinking about getting the upgrade for my Oppo BDP-83 since it is @ Oppo right now for repairs. I'd be saving on shipping and some time. I just don't know how much the sound will be improved in my system. The stock BDP-83 sounded great with my Outlaw 990 and the rest of my gear. JD

#18425 - 12/26/09 06:42 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
NRBQLou Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO USA
Anyone tried the new public beta firmware upgrade for the Oppo? Any first impressions? Had a heckuva time installing via internet, finally had to haul out the usb stick.
Oppo BDP-83, Sony UBP-X800
Roku Streaming Stick +
Music Hall mm5.1 table, Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, Cambridge Audio 640P Phono Preamp, Pro-Ject Speed Box
Belkin Pure AV Power Conditioner
Audioquest Type 8 speaker cable, Monoprice speaker Cable
Mostly Monoprice interconnects

#18426 - 12/26/09 07:53 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm running some similar firmware. The subtitle and OSD shifting is of the most value for folks with constant image height projection systems. The network media support is pretty handy.

#18427 - 12/28/09 01:21 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
The Blu TV link is pretty lame. But I am ever hopeful that OPPO's gurus are using it as a first small step toward streaming Netflix.

The DLNA link might be useful to some. My Samsung LCD came with DLNA server software and can stream directly, without going through the BDP-83.

But the DLNA link brings up an interesting question. Anyone know of good DLNA server software? The Samsung offering is clunky and needs tending on a regular basis to make sure the database is updated and the connections are still working.

#18428 - 12/28/09 02:16 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
gonk Offline
Desperado

I've updated my BDP-83 review with some notes on the DLNA support, including a couple of servers that I experimented with. I'm using TVersity at present and have been pretty pleased with it.

#18429 - 01/02/10 03:06 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
Bob Becker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Gonk

Have you gotten your BDP-83 to work with the TVersity server for video? I can see the mpeg files in the folder but I cannot play them. TVersity thinks the BDP-83 is PS3, which may be part of the problem. I do not know what profile to pick for it. It does not even see AVI files in the folder.

I was having similar problem with my Samsung LCD, but I found a profile for it in the TVersity Support Forum.

#18430 - 01/02/10 05:12 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond
gonk Offline
Desperado

I have gotten it to work for files stored on my network. I have a folder called "MediaServer" with all my files stored in it (sorted into audio, video, photos, and DVD rips). Media playback device is set to auto detect. "When to transcode" is set to "only when needed." Using these settings, I've watched a lot of VOB files taken from DVD's (a bunch of my daughter's videos are stored this way) and a few other video files.

#82022 - 01/15/10 03:29 PM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond [Re: gonk]
gonk Offline
Desperado

There has been a bit of chatter about high-end clones of the BDP-83 ever since at least CEDIA last September. One of the first to market has been the Lexicon BD-30, which lists for $3,500. Theta has a clone coming, as well, and there's at least one other that I'm forgetting. The internal pictures of the BD-30 at CEDIA had some rather substantial similarities - at least from a distance - to the BDP-83's internals, but Lexicon said that they had made refinements. There are now two reviews of the BD-30 online, and they make for interesting reading.

First is a review Home Theater Review that was posted on 1/11, which briefly compares the build quality of the BD-30 to that of the BDP-83SE but then doesn't say much more. All in all, it felt a bit sketchy as far as comparisons went and the reviewer had no prior experience with the 83. I'd be curious to have read a comparison of the analog sections, especially considering the next review.

The second review was posted this afternoon by Audioholics. I don't read many of their reviews, but this one caught my attention. It's not so much a review as an electronics autopsy comparing the BD-30 to a stock BDP-83 (not the more expensive SE).

#82027 - 01/16/10 09:04 AM Re: OPPO Digital BDP-83 Blu-ray player - EAP and beyond [Re: gonk]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: gonk
There has been a bit of chatter about high-end clones of the BDP-83 ever since at least CEDIA last September. One of the first to market has been the Lexicon BD-30, which lists for $3,500. Theta has a clone coming, as well, and there's at least one other that I'm forgetting. The internal pictures of the BD-30 at CEDIA had some rather substantial similarities - at least from a distance - to the BDP-83's internals, but Lexicon said that they had made refinements. There are now two reviews of the BD-30 online, and they make for interesting reading.

First is a review Home Theater Review that was posted on 1/11, which briefly compares the build quality of the BD-30 to that of the BDP-83SE but then doesn't say much more. All in all, it felt a bit sketchy as far as comparisons went and the reviewer had no prior experience with the 83. I'd be curious to have read a comparison of the analog sections, especially considering the next review.

The second review was posted this afternoon by Audioholics. I don't read many of their reviews, but this one caught my attention. It's not so much a review as an electronics autopsy comparing the BD-30 to a stock BDP-83 (not the more expensive SE).

I saw the audioholics review. Hehehe....not only are the Lexicon and Oppo units "similar," but it appears that Lexicon merely built an enclosure AROUND a stock Oppo chassis and otherwise didn't change a thing (not even the power supply)...for a $3000 mark-up. LOL

You don't get much more busted than this. The funniest thing is that Lexicon paid for THX certification (which the unit seems to fail due to bass management issues). smile

And lastly, here's a reviewer praising the Lexicon as being so much better than the Oppo unit. hahahahaha

http://hometheaterreview.com/lexicon-bd-30-universal-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

Page 24 of 25 < 1 2 22 23 24 25 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 130 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM