http://picasaweb.google.com/usmchercpilot/MediaRoomPics#

#18118 - 01/23/09 12:11 AM Re: Coming in January
candyman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Beaverton
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterT:
OK candyman,

You are right that we are two thirds of the way through the month and there is still no announcement.
Thank you Peter. My post was just my way of marking time, providing an innocuous bump, and indicating I'm looking forward to the announcement.

Looks like I'll have some reading when I get home.

Rob
Samsung 65" LED TV
Front: Martin Logan reQuests & Logos
Surround: Martin Logan Fresco i via Outlaw OAWA3
Sub: ACI Maestro w/ ICE amp

#18119 - 01/23/09 02:48 AM Re: Coming in January
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
You guys are good, really good. There are dozens of Outlaws that will be refreshing their inbox in the next hour. Looks like I will not be going to bed early as I thought I would....

#18120 - 01/23/09 04:20 AM Re: Coming in January
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've got a copy of it in my inbox. (I get Outlaw newsletters to two different addresses, and my gonk account usually gets it first - my other account hasn't seen it yet, so if any of you haven't seen it yet just wait a little longer.) It looks like TooManyHobbies wins the prize - he guessed Vudu.

#18121 - 01/23/09 04:33 AM Re: Coming in January
butchgo Online   content
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
So who cares about Vodu??????
Where is the 997????????
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#18122 - 01/23/09 04:39 AM Re: Coming in January
Dannic Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Edmonton,Alberta, Canada
Since I'm more of a "hard copy" kind of person, I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to these new internet movie services.

In all honesty, can Vudu's movie service seriously compete in both audio and visual quality to a reference Blu Ray disc?

Us guys with front projectors won't settle for anything less.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Onix Rockets 850 Mains
RSC 200 Centre
RS 300 Surrounds
RK 250 Rears

Marantz DV 9500 DVD
Panasonic BD-55 Blu Ray Player
JVC RS 20 Projector
106" DaLite HP Screen

Outlaw Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables

#18123 - 01/23/09 04:54 AM Re: Coming in January
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's the full letter for anyone curious to see it all:
Quote:
As some of you may already know, 2009 marks the Outlaw's tenth anniversary! We're planning lots of specials throughout the year to mark the occasion, and today we're starting the celebration off with something very special!

The core of our business has always been, and will remain, products that we develop for sale exclusively under our own brand. However, we occasionally come across something that we know will interest you, but which is a bit too much off the track for us to develop ourselves, like the Velodyne SMS-1. Whenever we can provide these types of products to you at value pricing in combination with our own gear, we will continue to add them to our portfolio.

So hold on to your cowboy hats Outlaws, because we have one of those very special products to kick off our anniversary celebration.

Introducing Vudu XL

Imagine having access to your very own video rental store where every title in your catalog is ALWAYS in stock. Now expand that selection to include movies in high definition and Dolby Digital playback. For the average home theater enthusiast that would be a dream come true!

There are many products and services available today that attempt to do that by delivering movies and other types of content electronically, without the need to go to the video store or wait for a red and white envelope to arrive in the mail. The concept is great, but the interfaces are often less than perfect, and sometimes you have to order the movie from your computer before you can see it on your system. However, none of the products available to date has been quite good enough to put in our own homes, or to offer to our fellow Outlaws.

That is, until we spent some time with Vudu. If you love movies and enjoy having new or different titles available whenever you want them, this is a product that, once you have it in your system, you will wonder how you lived without it. In our opinion, it has the best interface of any content-delivery product on the market and is paired with one of the easiest to use and most comfortable remotes we've ever used.

Vudu offers an incredibly wide range of programming, from the latest hit movies to old classics.* To make a good thing even better, they have recently added access to YouTube and a wide range of other content services, including news programs from ABC, CBS, NBC and MSNBC, sports programming from ESPN and much more.*

Vudu is also the only electronic program delivery service currently offering movie rentals in 1080/24p. On the audio side, Vudu doesn't scrimp, as some of the other movie services do, when it comes to number of channels. Vudu uses Dolby Digital Plus for transmission and features a Dolby Digital 5.1 output via HDMI or S/P-DIF (optical or coax).

The First Celebration

We're telling you this because as part of our Tenth Anniversary celebration, Outlaw Audio has become the exclusive authorized Internet retailer for the Vudu XL, the latest and greatest product from this innovative company. Although it is the same physical size as the standard Vudu you may have seen at "big box" retail stores, it differs in a number of important areas. First, and most importantly, it has an incredible one-terabyte internal hard drive, four times the size of the drive in the standard Vudu box. This gives you the capacity to store up to 500 full-length SD movies and assures that your unit will have room to store content for additional services, should they become available in the future.

The Vudu XL also differs from the standard Vudu box by offering the capability to simultaneously output 1080i or 720p video over analog component outputs along with the standard HDMI output. This is normally a $100+ option, but all Vudu XL units purchased through Outlaw will be equipped with the XLS-1 software that makes this possible at no extra charge. In addition, the Vudu XL includes the capability to operate with IP-based control systems and many programmable IR remote controls, such as those from Pronto and Universal Remote.

The retail price of the Vudu XL is $999, but when you purchase it from Outlaw in combination with one of our processors or amplifiers, you get the package at considerable savings**.

To see all of the available packages and combo prices, click here...

But if this isn't enough, between now and June 30, 2009, a special Outlaw-only offer lets you double your money by buying a $1,000 account credit for purchases of Vudu content for only $500. This credit has no expiration date and provides you instant access to Vudu's growing library of more than 13,000 titles (over 1,300 of them in HD!) at what amounts to half-price purchases or rentals of the latest movies and TV shows. Just think what this type of instant*** access to pay-per-view content would cost you with any other service or device, and you will quickly see the tremendous value.

The Vudu XL set top is covered by our 30-day in-home audition policy, so you can try this incredible product in your own home theater. However, the half-price content credit package is non-refundable once you purchase it. Again, this special price is available only if you purchase a Vudu XL through Outlaw Audio. Due to our special arrangement with Vudu, existing Vudu owners are not eligible.

The combination pricing and promotional movie/content package with this unique product is only the start of great things to come from the Outlaws as part of our anniversary celebration. We have a number of new Outlaw-exclusive products in the pipeline for introduction throughout the year, and there will be more special partnership promotions.

We'll be keeping you informed as things move closer, but don't forget, particularly during our Tenth Anniversary year, "The best values in Home Theater are just a mouse click away".

Best Regards,
The Outlaws
There's also a page up on Outlaw's site with an introductory video , although it looks like others may have also noticed it as the rest of the main site appears to be a bit slow at the moment...

#18124 - 01/23/09 05:21 AM Re: Coming in January
butchgo Online   content
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Again who gives a crap???
Where is the 997???????
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#18125 - 01/23/09 07:36 AM Re: Coming in January
akdrama Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maine
OK, so I am a bit skeptical...first this doesn't seem very "Outlawish." So, the deal is $100 off the XL box for a combo purchase, and free $100 software upgrade.

What's the compromise to owning a regular DVD (besides physical space)?

Can you use it simply for digital media storage device (I assume so, but didn't find the answer on the Vudu site?

This just seems like a convenience item...pardon my skepticism...I will have to wait for more information to come out. We are already getting charged an excessive amount to maintain HiDef cable. Call me cheap, I think it is too much. How hard is it to wait until the movie is on sale, or find it used at the local music store.

Is the memory expandability? Can you eventually go 2, 3, or 4 tera?

Ironically, I have been considering a media storage device to get free up the physical space that a DVD and CD collection takes up. Man, I would like just a good storage device, bang for the buck with some hardware flexibility. I don't need on demand, unless it is cheaper then cable.

Maybe I just need to be enlightened to newer technology...didn't think I'd ever hear myself say that.

So, someone, what is the big deal with this? And whose to say Vudu doesn't go out of business in a year.

AK
Outlaw 990/7125/ATI 150; Mirage OM-5 Mains,OM-C2Cntr,OM-7 Sides,OM-9 rears; Boston Acoustics P1000 Sub; Sony NC555ES CDP; Panasonic 52" plasma, Sony 34" XBR CRT; Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer; Belkin Pure AV P60

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 145 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts