Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#18076 - 01/02/09 06:25 PM Re: Coming in January
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So this January announcement is a partnership similar to the Velodyne SMS-1... That would seem to rule out surround receiver, surround processor, amplifiers, and speakers. And since you've ruled out the most obvious candidate (a Blu-ray player, either Outlaw-badged or a partnership with OPPO for the BDP-83), that takes disc players off the table as well. Well, this should be interesting... smile

#18077 - 01/02/09 06:36 PM Re: Coming in January
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Alright, I'll toss out two guesses. Since it's related to movies and it's a partnership with another company, two fairly strong possibilities would be a video processor (maybe something like the DVDO Edge) or a front projector. If I had to guess one of the two, I'd lean toward the video processor. That's my best SWAG...

#18078 - 01/02/09 08:04 PM Re: Coming in January
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
My guess: A stand alone Trinnov-based room correction box.

Now we wait..........

#18079 - 01/02/09 08:46 PM Re: Coming in January
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
So, what would Outlaw like to offer their customers such that a partnership with another company makes sense? Like the SMS-1, something it wouldn’t make sense to do on their own when something already exists, at a reasonable price/performance ratio, that fits goals Outlaw had in mind. But unlike the SMS-1, something in a direction Outlaw had yet to go. In the progression from playback through processing to reproduction, Outlaw has covered the middle of the process in several ways, already including upcoming Trinnov processing, and in aural reproduction with loudspeakers and subwoofers. That leaves two areas not available through Outlaw: sources, such as disc playback or media storage/playback, or visual reproduction. But what playback/storage technology isn’t already being well covered by vendors?

In my view, video projection or display is one good guess. However, there are many types of display and projection out there – not so rare as to garner the remark, “Actually, one of us (not me) already has one and won’t part with it to have us ‘check’ it. So, I too have to wait.” Unless, of course, the display is of a type of just-coming-to-market technology.

I’ve not ventured into HD because I’m unwilling to accept the drawbacks of plasma or LCD displays, nor will I buy something that needs a new lamp every so often – then there’s the power consumption issue of all three of these technologies. But there are now, just coming to market, technologies based on LED and/or laser light sources that are very promising. Now if Outlaw offered a combo that included HDMI functionality in a processor, the 997, matched with an HDMI capability in a newer display technology … now that would be tempting.

#18080 - 01/02/09 09:01 PM Re: Coming in January
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
maybe a projector with Dolby Labs HDR technology built into the unit. That would be interesting to see. I don't no but the hint that it has something to do with movies it telling. It has to have something to do with the video side of things. At least we won't have to wait long to find out.

I wonder who it is that has this little unit at home with them already and refuses to share. They are probably reading this thread and having a good laugh at all our guessing.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#18081 - 01/03/09 05:32 AM Re: Coming in January
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Maybe some theater seating.

#18082 - 01/03/09 03:12 PM Re: Coming in January
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Alright, I'll toss out two guesses. Since it's related to movies and it's a partnership with another company, two fairly strong possibilities would be a video processor (maybe something like the DVDO Edge) or a front projector. If I had to guess one of the two, I'd lean toward the video processor. That's my best SWAG...
A video processor would provide an interesting alternative to the 997 for current 990 owners. As a beta tester Peter T. provided glowing comments regarding the DVDO/ABT video processor (same as the Edge) in the OPPO BDP-83. With a Blu Ray player decoding and outputting the new audio formats via analog 7.1 and an Outlaw video processor (Edge: yes, yes!) I can keep my 990.

This is a much juicier announcement than my earlier suggestion of 2-channel audio.

#18083 - 01/04/09 02:48 AM Re: Coming in January
TooManyHobbies Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: XXX
I'm inclined to think this new product announcement might be along the lines of a home theater box to download and store movies from the Internet, for example, the VUDU (www.vudu.com). Movie downloading seems to be the latest direction for acquiring movie content, and there's not a lot available other than being connected to a Windows Media PC or a game box. I'd definitely prefer to have a download solution for my home theater that was not connected to my computer system, since my computers and home theater are in different, non-adjacent rooms of the house. One of Outlaw's Internet competitors is considering offering integration with Control4 technology, and downloading movie content for home theater is one of the services provided by a Control4 system. However, having seen what Control4 offers in comparison to VUDU, I'd opt for the VUDU system. And this could go beyond what VUDU is currently offering. Anyway, another direction to consider.

Bill

#18084 - 01/04/09 04:22 AM Re: Coming in January
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterT:
Before all of this speculation on new directions for Outlaw spins wildly out of control...
...so much for that plan... LOL

#18085 - 01/05/09 01:59 AM Re: Coming in January
Guido Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia
Furniture

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM