Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#176 - 07/09/01 08:57 AM And another VERY happy user!
waynedunham Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Burlington, CT, USA
I just wanted to add my kudos to the Outlaw folks.

I've been admiring my friend Pat Sklenar's Outlaw 1050 ever since he got his Beta unit and finally found the funds to order one for myself.

I ordered online at about 3pm Eastern Time and got an Email later that day that the unit shipped from CA late that afternoon along with my DHL tracking #. The next morning I checked the tracking info and saw that not only did it leave CA the previous afternoon, but that it had arrived at the local airport that morning about 8:44am. "Hmmmmm would it make it onto the truck for delivery TODAY?"
Well about 11:30am I heard the DHL van pull into the driveway!! Here was my Outlaw 1050!

I hooked it up and set everything up by ear until I could get Pat to come over with all his reference CD/DVD's and his decibel meter. NOTE: It's good to have a close friend who knows so much about setting it up "properly".

So I bribed Pat with a steak dinner cooked on the barbecue grill and a few beers and he came over one evening later that week.

I wasn't that far off setting it up by ear, but using the reference CD/DVD's helped in fine tuning everything.

I had been using an old Yamaha RX-V690 ProLogic, which I'd been perfectly happy with until I heard Pat's 1050!, and I'm amazed at the improvement in all areas of listening, from regular TV, to Audio CD's, and all the cool new Digital formats I can now utilize.

------------------

Wayne Dunham
waynedunham@email.com

#177 - 07/09/01 09:36 AM Re: And another VERY happy user!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Welcome aboard! I made the exact same upgrade last fall -- Yamaha RX-V690 to Model 1050. The Yamaha was a great old receiver, but once I got the 1050 I never looked back.

#178 - 07/10/01 08:31 AM Re: And another VERY happy user!
waynedunham Offline
Gunslinger

Do you have any idea what the old RX-V690 is worth? I've got someone at work interested in buying it. He took a MAJOR lightning strike and lost his receiver. I loaned him my Yamaha to test his other components to see if they were fried too. He was impressed (better not let him hear my 1050!!) coming from a 20 year old stereo.

I've looked on E-Bay but there aren't any listed there. It looks like similar models are going around $150. I don't want to take a beating on this, but I also don't want to gouge my co-worker he's not a bad guy.

Any thoughts?

------------------

Wayne Dunham
waynedunham@email.com

#179 - 07/10/01 10:31 AM Re: And another VERY happy user!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I really don't know. Pro-Logic receivers aren't high-dollar items anymore. It's a better-made piece than a lot of DPL/DD stuff down at Best Buy, but if I had to guess I'd say it''s probably not over $200. $150 is probably fairly reasonable. (That reminds me, I had a co-worker interested in borrowing my 690...)

Quote:
Originally posted by waynedunham:
Do you have any idea what the old RX-V690 is worth? I've got someone at work interested in buying it. He took a MAJOR lightning strike and lost his receiver. I loaned him my Yamaha to test his other components to see if they were fried too. He was impressed (better not let him hear my 1050!!) coming from a 20 year old stereo.

I've looked on E-Bay but there aren't any listed there. It looks like similar models are going around $150. I don't want to take a beating on this, but I also don't want to gouge my co-worker he's not a bad guy.

Any thoughts?

#180 - 07/11/01 07:07 PM Re: And another VERY happy user!
waynedunham Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, that's about what I'd figured it was worth.

Heck with the 1050 now down to $499 and considering how much better it is than that 4 year old Yamaha rig $150 may even be high!

------------------

Wayne Dunham
waynedunham@email.com

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM