Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1782 - 04/10/02 02:13 PM 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Any outlaws using the Rega Planet CD player with the 1050? I'm interested as to how to connecect the CD player. I would assume that the Rega have a better DAC then the Outlaw so I would don't think I'd want to use the digital output in the CD player. But if I use analog connectors my understanding was that the outlaw would convert the signal to digital anyways. Should I be using two of the 5.1 channel pass through connections that would be used for a sacd player?

Thanks

Todd

#1783 - 04/10/02 02:44 PM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'd probably try it both ways, but I agree that you're likely to want to use the Rega's DAC. In that case, you have exactly the right idea -- run the analog signal from the Rega to the left and right channels of the 5.1 Direct input and you'll be good to go. Either way, I'd be curious to know what you end up doing.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#1784 - 04/10/02 04:11 PM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

In which case I get no base management, correct. My sub has a cross over dial, is there a way to use the base managment in the sub or is this not a good idea? I'm using a paradigm sub and atom speakers.

Thanks again,

Todd

#1785 - 04/10/02 04:18 PM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Todd Joseph:
In which case I get no base management, correct.

Exactly. I'm afraid that there would be no bass management in that scenario. The best way to get some bass management for the atoms may be to use the Rega as a transport only and rely on the 1050's DAC and bass management.

Any other ideas out there for this one?

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#1786 - 04/10/02 07:09 PM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
After going in analog direct, try outputting from the front right and left pre-amp outs to your sub and use the sub cross-over and volume to manage the signal.
Haven't tried this yet, but it should work to give a full signal to your l/r speakers, and a managable sub signal.
Let us know....please :-)

#1787 - 04/11/02 09:45 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Some subs also allow you to put them between the amp and the speakers, in which case the sub will perform the crossover and only send the high-pass signal to the fronts.

#1788 - 04/11/02 09:53 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I guess i need to buy a few more interconnects

#1789 - 04/15/02 10:42 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Todd Joseph Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok - so I've checked out the 1050 manual (p26) and it says that I can use the direct 6 channel inputs and get bass management by using 6.1 surround. I tried to hook up an old cd player though the analog direct inputs and indeed when I switch to 6 channel direct I do get music out of the front two speakers. But when I pressed the 6.1 surround button on the remote, I still get no subwoofer. Am I understanding the directions correctly on page 26 of the manual?

#1790 - 04/15/02 10:57 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
From my reading of the manual it seems that doing that would activate the Outlaw's DAC which sounds like something you do NOT want if the whole point of this exercise is to use your Rega Planet's DAC.

The 1050 has NO analog crossover in it. If you want to use the Rega Planet's DAC and have bass management, your ONLY choice is to use some sort of analog crossover. One option is the ICBM. Another is to use a sub's built-in crossover.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#1791 - 04/16/02 10:00 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
Hooking stereo direct in will only pass stereo to the receiver and no sub information should be present to go to bass managment. For bass information you would have to pass signal through the sub direct in on the back of the receiver. A DVD Audio player will do this and will engage the bass management, a stereo CD player will not. If you want the CD direct AND subwoofer my suggestion is to use the direct L/R front stereo inputs to the CD player and then the L/R Front pre-amp outs to get a signal to the sub and then use the sub's cross over to select the sub's response frequency from the full frequency signal thus derived, as the receiver's bass management would not be engaged in this set up. If you want bass management then the L/R pre-amp signal must be sent to a seperate bass management section (i.e., another receiver) and then sent to the sub through this other device's sub out.
The words are more confusing than the actions.

#1792 - 04/16/02 10:37 AM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
I agree with Zed in that the Rega is a stereo output player. My suggestion is to split the outputs from the Rega's analog outs. Run one left and one right to the 5.1 direct FL and FR. Combine the other two outputs and connect to the 5.1 direct sub. Use the subs crossover and there you go, I think You could also insert an ICBM in the chain between the CD player and the 1050 for better bass management of both the mains and sub.

[This message has been edited by morphsci (edited April 16, 2002).]

#1793 - 04/16/02 10:49 PM Re: 1050 and Rega Planet CD player
alteon Offline
Gunslinger

You guys helped me out with my problem about wanting to bypass the 1050's dac with my own DAC and still get my sub. But is there anyway to get any type of base management in this mode for my mains? Which is the smarter buy, and ICBM or a new dvd player that will have some kind of bass management. I just need to cut off the main frequency to about 60 and I would be happy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts