Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#17818 - 10/16/08 10:11 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
I once used my mom's sterling silver butterknife and stuck it in a 120Volt receptacle. Once I recovered, I then used a coat hanger made of plain junk steel wire. I definitely got the biggest effect with the butter knife. I guess it is possible that I was used to the effect on the second attempt and did not fully appreciate the subtle differences in the ringing in my ears, but I have to go with the butterknife on this one. The other thing I remember clearly is Mom's shock when she found out that one of her butterknives was badly tarnished and slightly shorter than the others. She never forgave me.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#17819 - 10/17/08 12:31 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I'd say go for the blind test next... LOL

Funny story, it brought back some memories (the painful kind).

#17820 - 10/17/08 03:09 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
I'd say go for the blind test next... LOL

Yeah, well, anybody who buys into the bunk that somehow a ultra high priced cable will sound better when carrying digital data is truly BLIND to the engineering realities of how electronics work.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

#17821 - 10/17/08 03:44 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
sluggo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Plano, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:
Yeah, well, anybody who buys into the bunk that somehow a ultra high priced cable will sound better when carrying digital data is truly BLIND to the engineering realities of how electronics work.
I would say intentionally ignorant, as in this case the end result is easy to demonstrate.

Will a file copied from one computer to 2 separate external USB drives, using 2 different "grades" of USB cable, arrive at it's destinations as different files?

Maybe if my son wants his short story to sound "warmer," we should use a silver cable to copy it after he writes it :p

#17822 - 10/17/08 08:34 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Oops...

[gingerly retracing steps out of the minefield...]

Never mind me please.

#17823 - 10/17/08 09:45 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by garcianc2003:
Oops...

[gingerly retracing steps out of the minefield...]

Never mind me please.
My post wasn't directed necessarily at you, but at those who believe that such things as silver cables making a difference in purely digital transmission will make an audible difference.

Successful digital transmission only depends on the receiving end being able to tell a 1 from a zero, and there is a very definite theshold for that. There is not a "sort of 1 or sort of zero" state. Either the data is correct or it is not. If it is not, there will be obvious audio dropouts.

#17824 - 10/19/08 07:39 AM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
I fibally ordered that cable! This one wasat the RMFA and was big Hit!

More to come.

Liz out
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#17825 - 10/19/08 05:29 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Altec:
Either the data is correct or it is not. If it is not, there will be obvious audio dropouts.
I didn't want to jump on this discussion, but I was curious to find out if things are really this simple.

I am mostly familiar with the typical network computer telecommunications protocols and associated schemes. Since I didn't initially believe Altec's statement that bits are simply dropped, I decided to poke around the Internet to learn if something similar to the type of error correction that goes on in the telecommunication world is done with digital audio signals. I found quite a bit about AC-3, PCM and DSD. For instance, there is an extensive amount of error correction done in the CD player itself. However, I saw very little mention of transmission errors and much more concern about encoding/decoding "quantization" errors, which seem to be more audible.
Here is the Wikipedia entry on PCM which talks a little bit about error correction schemes.

In computer telecommunications, let's take Ethernet for example, we use schemes like manchester encoding to ensure the integrity of the transmission at a very low level. As Altec points out, things are apparently much simpler in the digital audio transmissions we are dealing with here - this surprised me initially, but it makes sense since this is a point-to-point asynchronous exchange (a "bitstream", now I get it). It looks like all the work is left to the encoding/decoding process to deal with data integrity at the payload level. In which case, all things being equal, I don't personally think the type of cable matters at all, any more than the type of optical transmitter/receiver does - but that's my opinion, you are entitled to yours. This could bring us into a whole new argument as to which encoding scheme is better, but that's another thread. I found this paper (in pdf format) which summarizes some of the important concerns in one single document.

In any case, my ears cannot tell the difference and this whole 1s and 0s talk makes me glad that I left my computer science background behind and went with Information Systems for my PhD.

#17826 - 10/24/08 09:12 AM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
USB to a Great, designed DAC is the best!
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#17827 - 10/24/08 02:46 PM Re: USB cable for a USB DAC?
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizard King:
USB to a Great, designed DAC is the best!
I've finally figured it out. You're the Sarah Palin of the audio world. mad

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM