Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#167 - 07/08/01 05:58 AM Surround mode for VHS
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
I dont have a dvd player yet, I definitley plan on getting one to hook up with my 1050. When I hook my VCR up to my 1050, and play movies, the surround mode doesnt seem very pronounced. Almost like I'm not truly running surround. Basically, Im running the video direct to the TV and the Audio from the VCR to the Video 1 audio inputs on the 1050. The only way I get sound is when opt1 opt 2 and coax are all turned off. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Is there a suggested mode for true surround sound. I notice many of you dont like the DSP modes. I try surround mode, but I find Natural is better.

I'm really a newbie to all this component stuff. I just want to make sure I'm getting the optimal suround experience out of my 1050. My Speakers are Energy take 5's and an Energy subwoofer.

#168 - 07/08/01 11:30 AM Re: Surround mode for VHS
Alfer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Bryan,
It seems you have everything hooked up right. I use "Normal Surround" for all my stuff, and the sound thru the VCR sounds fine.

I use Video1 as well,while in "Normal Surround" mode, and when I press the "Digital Input" button a few times, the symbol you should see is "Pro-Logic" light up.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but are you playing a movie that is true surround sound and not perhaps a mono encoded movie? What VCR are you using? Is it HI-FI?

Let us know, and maybe we can think of some other possibilities.

Alfer

------------------
Check out my HT website: The Enormodome

Join Club Enormodome

Join Club Enormodome

#169 - 07/08/01 12:16 PM Re: Surround mode for VHS
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't watched many movies using my 1050. The way you have it connected is good -- and you are right to leave opt1, opt2, and coax off. Those are there to allow you to use one of the digital inputs instead of the analog inputs, and you're VCR only has the normal analog; when you add a DVD player, you will want to use a digital connection to get Dolby Digital and DTS. When you set your 1050 to "Surround" mode, the receiver is trying to decode the stereo signal from your VCR (assuming that it's a "hifi" VCR with stereo outputs) using Dolby Pro-Logic ("DPL"). Some movies will not provide very much surround information -- in fact, you may end up using your center channel very heavily (for dialog, etc.), your mains some for music soundtrack and sound effects, and your surrounds for a little "atmosphere." Also, DPL does not send a full-range signal to the surrounds -- no low bass and no substantial highs. Natural mode is probably one of the less objectionable DSP modes I've listened to (it was my fiancee's favorite when she was playing with the surround and DSP modes while watching TV and listening to CD's).

I guess the bottom line is that you seem to be doing everything right, but have discovered that DPL from video tape doesn't always provide a very immersive experience. If you like Natural more than surround for tapes, use it and enjoy it. But when you add a DVD player, pick up a digital audio cable (coax or optical, whichever your DVD player supports) and use that to connect to your 1050, then make sure you've got the 1050 set to "Surround" instead of Natural -- the difference between DPL and DD/DTS is impressive.

#170 - 07/08/01 08:05 PM Re: Surround mode for VHS
Bryan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
Thanks all for the replys. Gonk is correct I think the VHS encoding isnt as good as dolby digital. I dinked arround a bit and got the full effect I want. When I get the DVD player I'll probaly change all my settings around. I do find that with VHS using Natural mode works best and I actually rim my centers down to about 1 Db my rears up to about 6 or 7 so I get that full surround feel.

I cant wait to get my DVD though. As far as digital audio inputs go which do you all suggest coax or optical. Does it make any big difference. Either way the sound out of the 1050 is rich and wonderful. I can krank that baby and no distortion wow.

#171 - 07/08/01 08:39 PM Re: Surround mode for VHS
gonk Offline
Desperado

coax vs. optical? -- There's a lot of debate about it, with many people preferring coaxial over optical. I've used both, and have been able to find very little (almost no) difference. One thing you might keep in mind, and this is just my opinion: I've noticed a slight benefit on coax digital when upgrading from Monster Cables to BetterCables interconnects, but have not seen much difference between different optical cables. Best bet is probably to find a player you like at a price you like. If you have both outputs on the player, probably go with coax. If it's optical-only, though, don't sweat it.

#172 - 07/10/01 12:45 AM Re: Surround mode for VHS
kevp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

In all truth, the difference between an optical and coax will be VERY negligable. Further, the coax is less expensive, and much more durable (have you seen the 'quality' construction of some of these lame ol' optical cords people are selling?!).
There's really no reason not to go coax if you can.

------------------
Thanks,
kevp

#173 - 08/01/01 01:59 PM Re: Surround mode for VHS
mike'n'ike Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Milwaukee
I experimented with digital audio in 3 ways:
Monster LightSpeed 100 Optical ($40)
Monster DataLink 100 Coax ($40)
Monster Standard Video/RCA (Coax)($10)

After listening to the three different cables, I couldn't tell any real difference in sound quality. With that said, I recommend you use RCA video cable from the coax output, unless you have another digital audio component with coax output only. Most DVD players have both outputs. If it sounds the same and is 1/4 the price, why not use it. It even says it's video cable in the Outlaw owner's manual (page 19). And if you ever need to replace this cable for upgrading, you're only out $10, or you can still use it for video.

#174 - 08/01/01 02:34 PM Re: Surround mode for VHS
gonk Offline
Desperado

mike'n'ike has an excellent point. My experience until very recently has been similar -- I haven't been able to find an audible difference between most digital cables, both optical and coaxial (Monster Lightspeed 100, Monster Datalink 100, Bettercables coax and optical). And, if memory serves correctly, coax digital cables are required to be 75ohm, just like composite video cables, so there really shouldn't be a problem with using a video cable as mike'n'ike describes. (The specs for BetterCables' digital coax and composite video cables are identical.)

I will add one thing. I recently tried a fairly expensive audio interconnect in the role of coaxial digital -- a TMC White Label (I checked with TMC to find out if it was capable of being used as a digital cable, and King at TMC confirmed that it could be). At $80 for a single 1-meter White Label (or $90 for a single 1-meter Yellow Label), it's more expensive than anything mike'n'ike offered, but it did produce a readily noticeable difference on my system -- clearer sound, wider sound stage, etc. After having the same experience mike'n'ike describes, I was very surprised at the difference it made. As with all things cable-related, the difference will be at least somewhat system dependent, so your mileage may vary.

#175 - 08/02/01 04:24 AM Re: Surround mode for VHS
robfwoods Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Re Optical vs. Coax:

Everything I've read agrees with the conclusion so far - performance is the same.

But do note that the coming Outlaw optical will be 'similarly' priced to 'reasonably' priced opticals - but the difference will be the 'terminal/interface.' The Outlaw ill assure a long-term 'clean' connection.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts