Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#17299 - 01/05/08 03:58 PM Format War furor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
CES is still a couple days away, and already the 'net is in an uproar. In case any gunslingers have been away from the electronics-related news channels for the last 24 hours, Warner Brothers (the principle format neutral studio in the HD-DVD/Blu-ray format war) announced that they are going Blu-ray exclusive by the end of May and that the HD-DVD releases already in the pipeline for now through May will be re-scheduled to arrive shortly behind the DVD and Blu-ray releases. New Line will be doing likewise, leaving just Paramount and Universal to support HD-DVD. THere's a large article at Variety about it, along with news posts, threads, press releases, and lots of gnashing of teeth scattered across the net.

#17300 - 01/08/08 01:59 AM Re: Format War furor
bobliinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
As sincerely as I like the HD DVD format, I think this is the death blow. I just hope that the BDA and hardware manufacturers now get busy and provide Blu-ray players with the functionality and audio support that was an integral part of the HD DVD specification from day one.

#17301 - 01/08/08 03:35 AM Re: Format War furor
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
It's stupid that we had a format war in the first place, however, it's far from over. Microsoft could potentially pay money to woo one of the big Blu-ray studios for instance and do a little tit-for-tat.

But yeah, it is a shame that it has come down to this.

If Blu-Ray does win, it would mean the first time that Sony has chosen the right side in a format/tech war that I can remember in my lifetime.

#17302 - 01/08/08 05:55 AM Re: Format War furor
gonk Offline
Desperado

The war may not be over, but I'd say that the writing's on the wall. The studios are starting to see that the war is not helping generate mainstream adoption, and what is likely to be really bothering them is the realization that the golden goose that is DVD sales is suffering because of the war. I highly doubt that any Blu-ray studio will want to change sides because of a check from the HD-DVD camp knowing that it will just prolong the war.

#17303 - 01/08/08 02:36 PM Re: Format War furor
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
The Financial Times and other news sources have reported that Paramount may get out of its HD-DVD contract. The story is that the HD-DVD contract Paramount signed had a clause stating that if Warner went exlcusively Blu, or if Universal changed their stance on Blu, Paramount could get out of the contract early. Paramount has denied the rumor, but with a non-denial, saying that, "its current plan" is to continue to support HD-DVD. Even if Paramount stays with HD-DVD for now, the report creates even greater uncertainty about HD-DVD's prospects.

#17304 - 01/08/08 05:08 PM Re: Format War furor
gonk Offline
Desperado

I saw that recently. It seems like there would be a strong temptation for Paramount to act on such an option (either by using an escape clause such as the one that is rumored to exist or by surrendering some of the money paid to them as part of the deal), but I doubt they'll admit to such thoughts until and unless they actually make a move back to Blu-ray.

#17305 - 01/09/08 01:16 AM Re: Format War furor
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Enzo XL L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#17306 - 01/09/08 02:25 AM Re: Format War furor
gonk Offline
Desperado

I don't know that I consider this a "change" - the rumors I've seen about Paramount abandoning HD-DVD have been guesswork and rumors about clauses that exist in the contract, not any particularly convincing indication of a specific plan of action. Of course, likely the first really convincing rumors of a Blu-ray move by Paramount will be the official press release announcing the change...

#17307 - 01/10/08 09:15 PM Re: Format War furor
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
The exact quote from that article:

""Paramount's current plan is to continue to support the HD-DVD format,"

To my ears, that doesn't sound very definitive. I would say you're better off staying neutral at this point though Blu is certainly looking stronger.

#17308 - 01/10/08 10:17 PM Re: Format War furor
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
things could change and Paramount split with HD DVD at any time. there will certainly be a time in the near future where they will have to decide to stay or go. Who will offer them more money though, the Blu camp or the Red one?
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM