Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17224 - 12/18/07 07:43 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Outside Phila.
Gonk,

You're right about the toggle being set to digital not affecting the analog stereo bypass mode. My setup is toggled to "Digital" right now because before I started going down the analog path, "Digital" makes the most sense for me. When I go to bypass mode, the subs are off for sure. I originally calibrated my setup including my subs with that setting and I think, if I go to HPF/LPF to use the subs in my bypass mode, I'll have to spend some extra time setting the x-overs on my subs properly (~70-80Hz I'm thinking.)

But thank you for clarifying (or at least fuzzy recalling wink ) that the HPF/LPF switch engages a purely analog bass management circuit. I do love the bypass mode overall but for certain kinds of music, my mains don't reproduce the bass very well and I'd like to bring a little more of the low-end to my ears without "contaminating" my experiment with digital processing. I'm excited to go home and try this out laugh

Can anyone else chimne in to confirm Gonk's statement re: the HPF/LPF?
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
Elite DV-47Ai Universal SACD/DVD-A
Citypulse DA7.2x II + TXCO DAC
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112
Denon AH-D2000 Headphones

#17225 - 12/18/07 08:20 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RedSIinPA:
I originally calibrated my setup including my subs with that setting and I think, if I go to HPF/LPF to use the subs in my bypass mode, I'll have to spend some extra time setting the x-overs on my subs properly (~70-80Hz I'm thinking.)
Why not disable the crossover in your sub entirely? You've got the 1070's digital bass management for all digital sources (including stereo analog sources that are not being run in bypass mode), you've got an 80Hz analog crossover network for the 7.1 Direct input, and you either have no signal to the sub or that same 80Hz analog crossover for stereo analog inputs that are in bypass. Under those circumstances, there should be no reason to use the sub's crossover at all.

#17226 - 12/18/07 08:55 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

the crossovers in my subs are currently disabled and yep I'm letting the 1070's digital bass management handle the processing for all my digital sources. Until about a month ago, all my sources were digital.

Now I'm experimenting, and I like the way most of the frequency band sounds over analog bypass then via the 2ch. "Stereo" mode. But I'm missing that low end kick from my subs. If I read the above posts correctly, I can use my subs in an all-analog environment by flipping the Digital Bass Management toggle to "HPF/LPF", which infuse an analog cross over of 80Hz. That's how I took the recent posts in this thread. If I'm wrong about something, please let me know.

Now, if I switch to HPF/LPF on my 1070, what effect if any does that have on my subs in digital modes? Any whatsoever? Is the 1070 still going to handle the crossing over at 80Hz for Dolbyu Digital, and should I leave the x-overs on my subs alone even with the change from "Digital" to "HPF/LPF"?

Sorry for all the questions, but I hate not knowing. Thanks guys!
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#17227 - 12/18/07 09:27 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
the crossovers in my subs are currently disabled and yep I'm letting the 1070's digital bass management handle the processing for all my digital sources. Until about a month ago, all my sources were digital.

Now I'm experimenting, and I like the way most of the frequency band sounds over analog bypass then via the 2ch. "Stereo" mode. But I'm missing that low end kick from my subs. If I read the above posts correctly, I can use my subs in an all-analog environment by flipping the Digital Bass Management toggle to "HPF/LPF", which infuse an analog cross over of 80Hz. That's how I took the recent posts in this thread. If I'm wrong about something, please let me know.
That's how I believe it works. You could easily test it with a test tone disc.

Quote:
Now, if I switch to HPF/LPF on my 1070, what effect if any does that have on my subs in digital modes? Any whatsoever? Is the 1070 still going to handle the crossing over at 80Hz for Dolbyu Digital, and should I leave the x-overs on my subs alone even with the change from "Digital" to "HPF/LPF"?
The bass management switch only impacts how the 7.1 Direct input works, except for the special case of analog stereo bypass and the HPF/LPF position (assuming that my memory is worth a darn, something that I'm not entirely sure I'd bet money on today... wink ). It does not have any impact on digital audio inputs whatsoever. It also doesn't have any impact on stereo analog inputs for any situation other than bypass mode.

#17228 - 12/18/07 09:29 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Quote:
If I switch from digital to HPF/LPF, will my subs play in bypass mode?
Yes. My sub is always engaged with the toggle set to HPF/LPF when listening in analog bypass mode on my 970.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#17229 - 12/18/07 09:44 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
The bass management switch only impacts how the 7.1 Direct input works, except for the special case of analog stereo bypass and the HPF/LPF position (assuming that my memory is worth a darn, something that I'm not entirely sure I'd bet money on today... wink ). It does not have any impact on digital audio inputs whatsoever. It also doesn't have any impact on stereo analog inputs for any situation other than bypass mode. [/qb]
I think I need to revisit my manual again, because while I appreciate having the clarity I'm experiencing at the moment, it's a little embarrassing. Thank you Gonk.

Looks like I have some playing around to do.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

#17230 - 12/18/07 09:46 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

To expand on what gonk said, when the toggle is set to HPF/LPF, you'll get a simple, analog x-over on analog inputs played in bypass mode.

For everything outside of that (the 970's stereo mode, 5-channel mode and all the surround modes), now we're playing in the pre/pro's digital domain and the digital x-overs are employed. This means you can set the x-over points to other frequencies for the various speakers in your system.

Personally, I like a x-over setting of 80Hz across the board, so there is no issue with my system being out of calibration when going between the analog and digital bass management worlds.

I assume all of the above applies to your 1070.
System Pics

#17231 - 12/18/07 09:57 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Quote:
I think I need to revisit my manual again, because while I appreciate having the clarity I'm experiencing at the moment, it's a little embarrassing. Thank you Gonk.
My memory isn't the best these days either, but I'm not sure if this issue even is addressed in the manual. By that I mean there is the gerneal information about the 3-position switch and setting x-over points. Beyond that, I don't recall learning from the manual this set up option existed. I stumbled across it by accident working with gonk about a year ago.

I'll see if I can find the original thread.
System Pics

#17232 - 12/18/07 10:00 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

System Pics

#17233 - 12/19/07 02:18 PM Re: Experimenting w/ “better” DACs via a different CD Player
RedSIinPA Offline
Gunslinger

WOW - a parallel thread. It was interesting to read through that and have all your discoveries match my own experience over the last couple days.

I went home last night, slid the 1070 out, and flipped the toggle to HPF/LPF. I was already using the CD input for my Denon player. Popped in the newer Beatles "Love" album, and I tell you I was in heaven. I was really digging the warmer, deeper sound with the subs.

Something I was a little surprised about - someone with more tech savvy than me could probably explain this - was that my "Channel Calibration" settings still worked. I thought that would be all digital. When I was thinking I was hearing a little too much boom, I went into the menu > Channel Calibration > Subwoofer ch. > and took it down to -1 dB. I was at 0 prior.

At that point I thought, wait, you're in bypass mode, that's probably only for digital. I turned the dB all the way down and definitely heard the subs quiet down. Any thoughts to share on this?

I really appreciate all the feedback here. It's been great to find new function on the 1070. Really does pay off huge dividends in this particular case. I need to go music shopping asap.
Elite 50" / Aquos 32"
Squeezebox Radio

Stereo Setup:
NAD C326BEE (50Wx2)
B&W 685s
JL Fathom F112

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts