Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#17105 - 02/26/08 07:41 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
ric Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: connecticut
great stuff guys, now that the format wars are over i'll sit tight and wait for a blue-ray player that is a little more consumer friendly $$$ that is. I'll continue to use my toshiba hd-a3 as an upconverting player (as well as the hd-dvd player, for the few i've been able to buy.)I thiink 08 is going to be an audiophiles year.
outlaw 950
oppo 983h
toshiba hd-a3
b&k 125.2 amp front L&R
outlaw m2200 center amp
b&k 125.2 amp L&R_surround
b&k 125.2 amp L&R rear surround
panamax line conditioner
55" hitachi plasma.

#17106 - 02/27/08 12:36 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
Sony has just announced two new players.
For those of us that own the 990 the BDP-S550 will be of particular interest due to it's 7.1 analog output for DTS HD- Master Audio and DTS HD High Resolution audio.

Here is one of many links on the subject.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1041
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#17107 - 02/27/08 03:59 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
thanks for the hit butchgo. I tend to lean toward the sony line when it comes to players. Not quite sure why that is exactly. I guess it probably has more to due with my good fortune with sony thus far than anything else. Anyway, it looks like this summer is really going to be heating up huh.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#17108 - 02/27/08 03:50 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
E'pin Sen Ob,

The next few months are going to be interesting that's for sure.

I am going to wait until all of the specs are out on both the Panasonic BD50 and the Sony S550.
They both seem to have what I want in a Blu-ray player but, like you, I tend to be very loyal to the Sony brand.
I have had such good luck over the years with their product that I have a hard time buying anything else but the Panasonic looks really good at this time.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#17109 - 02/27/08 07:08 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
I think it'll be interesting to see what Oppo Digital offers in Blu-ray. I think the Panasonic and Sony will both be great players, but when it comes to Sony, I feel their is always a premium for the brand name.

#17110 - 03/04/08 12:09 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO.
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I considered the S300 for a time last year, but it offered neither on-board decoding of the new formats nor bitstream output of those formats. It's also Profile 1.0 and reportedly has the same sluggish response time that has plagued most HD/BD players. Even though I'm going to be sticking with the core DD and DTS tracks for the time being (no HDMI v1.1+ support in my 990 and the multichannel analog input tied up by DVD-A and SACD), I want to at least have the option of getting to the new formats somehow later without buying a new player. That's why I went with the BD30 from Panasonic. It is a good bit faster than my HD-A2 (reports indicate that the only HD/BD player that can match or beat it on speed is the PS3, and the differences there are subtle), is Profile 1.1 (I know I'm losing Profile 2.0, but the PS3 is the only thing available for purchase that offers a hope of 2.0 and it would not have been a spouse-friendly player for me), and can do bitstream output of DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD HR and MA.
yeah it's definetly slow!what do you mean by the new formats?

#17111 - 03/04/08 03:18 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
jmacari Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
97db-

That antenna in your sig? Several years ago, I bought a Radio Shack outdoor UHF/VHF antenna (very similar looking to the one you reviewed) for $21....I put it on my roof via chimney mount ($8 or $9); I live in Cranston, R.I, about 50-60 miles from Boston. I get every single HD station in Boston clear as a bell....the moral of the story is that height and direction are key to reception.
Anthem MRX-500/ Outlaw 7500, Paradigm Studio 100's Fronts, Paradigm CC-590 Center, Phase Technology Dipole rears , Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Oppo BDP-103, DIRECTV H22-200 DVR HD receiver, Samsung PN60E8000 3D Plasma 60"
2nd System
B&K ST 202 Amp, Outlaw 990, Rotel RCD 1072CD, Yaqin CD 1 Tube Buffer, Apogee Centaur Minors, Phase Technology Model 10 Sub, Rotel RP-855 turntable, Panasonic DMP-BD30, DIRECTV H21-700 DVR HD receiver, Free Agent Home Theatre+, Vizio 40" LED

#17112 - 03/04/08 04:05 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by 97db:
yeah it's definetly slow!what do you mean by the new formats?
Blu-ray and HD-DVD include support for three new audio formats: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD. Blu-ray also allows uncompressed multichannel PCM tracks. DD+ and the basic version of DTS-HD ("DTS-HD High Resolution") are lossy compression algorithms similar to Dolby Digital and DTS, although not as compressed as those older formats. TrueHD is a lossless compression (using the same MLP compression technology as DVD-Audio), as is the lossless form of DTS-HD ("DTS-HD Master Audio"). Neither the BD30 nor the S300 can decode those three new formats, so all you can do us rely on the Dolby Digital or DTS core tracks in those cases. The BD30 does allow bitstream output of these formats over HDMI to a compatible receiver or processor, which the S300 does not. Multichannel PCM tracks on some Blu-rays can of course be played back via multichannel analog output or HDMI in both cases. (See my HDMI FAQ ...)

#17113 - 03/05/08 04:37 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by jmacari:
97db-

That antenna in your sig? Several years ago, I bought a Radio Shack outdoor UHF/VHF antenna (very similar looking to the one you reviewed) for $21....I put it on my roof via chimney mount ($8 or $9); I live in Cranston, R.I, about 50-60 miles from Boston. I get every single HD station in Boston clear as a bell....the moral of the story is that height and direction are key to reception.
Your last part of your post is so true...
My antenna is facing right at a hill!

#17114 - 03/05/08 04:39 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
97db Offline
Gunslinger

I just thought it had to be an exceptional antenna to get all the channels that my other one couldnt with the situation I was in!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts