Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#17095 - 11/08/07 09:17 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
None can decode DTS-HD MA - in fact, the only devices I know of that are capable of that are the new HDMI v1.3 receivers, which of course require an HDMI connection and a player capable of passing a DTS-HD MA bitstream. Some can decode the lossy form of DTS-HD, although the only one that I know off the top of my head that should be able to is the Samsung BD-P1400 (I just saw it listed in the specs).

TrueHD is a bit easier. To get TrueHD decoding and multichannel analog output, you can look at the Sony BDP-S1, the Panasonic BD10A, the Samsung BD-P1400 (and possibly the older Samsungs as well), the Pioneer BDP-94HD. There are a couple already-discontinued models (such as the Pioneer BDP-H1) that I think also support internal TrueHD decoding.

There's also the option of combo players - Samsung will have their combo player around the end of the year, and for $800 it'll play both HD formats. I'm pretty sure that it'll have internal TrueHD decoding with multichannel analog output. Again, no DTS-HD MA decoding.

#17096 - 11/08/07 09:20 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

Oh, yeah, there's one mis-statement in that post: there is at least one player that will decode DTS-HD MA. Denon's got a Blu-ray player that will decode both TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The DVD-3800BDCI supports internal decoding of both and has a 7.1 analog output. MSRP is $2,000.

#17097 - 11/08/07 09:49 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Ouch! At $2,000, I think I'll pass. But thanks for the list of other players. I'll make a note of them.

Still not sure what to do though. confused I was hoping a good player-based solution would obviate the need to jump into a new pre/pro -- at least, for the next 2-3 years.

I know a lot of emphasis has been placed on the HDMI 1.3 issue, but unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure if I would realize all of its benefits as the native resolution on my display is 1080i. Add to that I would still need a new pre/pro AND a Blu-Ray, HD-DVD (or combo) player that could decode or pass both hi-def audio formats, and we're talking about a significant investment in new gear to take full advantage of what 1.3 brings to the table.

These new formats have become a real bummer! Apart from the hardware issues, from what I can tell, there are still only: (1) a handful of Hi-def DVD titles; and (2) even fewer that are encoded with TrueHD or DTS HD. And the prices are still $25 - $35 a pop.

I may have to sit on the fence a bit longer. frown
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#17098 - 01/02/08 02:41 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
titleist Offline
Gunslinger

I just picked up this player and i have a couple questions. I have it hooked up through the multi channel outputs to take advantage of the uncompressed 5.1. Am I correct in assuming that I need to set speaker size, distance, and calibrate the channels seeing the player will be doing all the processing or does the 990 take care of all that for me. When I did try to calibrate the channel levels in the Panasonic I got the test tones but inceasing or decreasing the tone would not work. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. Also, would you leave the HDMI setting to auto or would you set it to what is appropriate for your TV. I have thee Pioneer Elite 1140 HD whick does up to 768p. The auto function sets it to 1080i every time.

#17099 - 01/02/08 02:48 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

The 990 will take care of that - set the speakers to large, the sub to on, and leave all distance and trim settings at zero.

#17100 - 02/25/08 04:23 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO.
I bought the BDS-s300 from Sony. I had to upgrade the firmware a few times...but have no problems with it.great player

#17101 - 02/25/08 04:53 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

I considered the S300 for a time last year, but it offered neither on-board decoding of the new formats nor bitstream output of those formats. It's also Profile 1.0 and reportedly has the same sluggish response time that has plagued most HD/BD players. Even though I'm going to be sticking with the core DD and DTS tracks for the time being (no HDMI v1.1+ support in my 990 and the multichannel analog input tied up by DVD-A and SACD), I want to at least have the option of getting to the new formats somehow later without buying a new player. That's why I went with the BD30 from Panasonic. It is a good bit faster than my HD-A2 (reports indicate that the only HD/BD player that can match or beat it on speed is the PS3, and the differences there are subtle), is Profile 1.1 (I know I'm losing Profile 2.0, but the PS3 is the only thing available for purchase that offers a hope of 2.0 and it would not have been a spouse-friendly player for me), and can do bitstream output of DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD HR and MA.

#17102 - 02/25/08 10:16 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
Gonk - so now that the format is basically over, would you still recommend the Panasonic BD30 for anew player or wait it out awhile?

UMtiger

#17103 - 02/25/08 10:49 PM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
gonk Offline
Desperado

There's at least one Profile 2.0 player on the horizon (the BD50) that will offer onboard decoding of most or all of the new audio formats. That will likely be a better candidate for pairing up with the Model 990 when it arrives in a few months. I went ahead with the BD30 back in November because I suspect that I'm within a year or maybe less of an upgrade to an HDMI v1.3 processor and I wouldn't be willing to surrender my multichannel analog input in the interim anyway (making internal decoding of very little value to me).

#17104 - 02/26/08 05:32 AM Re: Blu-Ray Player to get if you are interested
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
You know with one on the horizon as gonk says there are sure to be others close behind.

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts