Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1692 - 03/29/02 11:18 PM safe volume levels
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
i as told that when listening to anything on a reciver notto turn it up more than three fourth of the way up, but that is on a logarithmic volume controle, and the 1050 uses linier voulume control. i just want to know what is a safe listening volume that won't wreak my speakers or produce cliping. any help from anyone would be aprehiated, by the way i have monitor audio 5i's for my mains(they are the only speakers i care about in my system right now).

#1693 - 03/30/02 02:10 AM Re: safe volume levels
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
That's entirely up to you, to a point. I don't know about your specific speakers, but as long as there is no distortion, you can listen as loud as you like. I've had mine much louder than I can stand and still haven't driven them in to distortion. I suppose my typical listening level must be somewhere in the 40's or 50's (determined more by WAF than my personal preference). Not sure as my display is smack behind the fancy wood center support on the glass door of my entertainment center.

#1694 - 03/30/02 10:43 AM Re: safe volume levels
baristaman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tacoma, WA USA
I run mine in the low 60s for movies.
No problems. I have noticed that I start low and creep the volume up. I don't know if it's just me adjusting to the sound or if it's the Outlaw dropping volume. (weird)
Trace

#1695 - 03/30/02 11:39 AM Re: safe volume levels
Zed Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, Texas, 77025
My volume varies.
Using the digital input from CD I tend toward about 48. Switching to direct mode on CDs I tend towards 52, but these are also dependent on the individul CD, and change somewhat drasticly at times depending on recording quality.
For Home Theater between 50 and 60 depending on source recording again. Some DTS soundtracks are Very loud, others aren't.
No clipping or distortion at these levels, running 4 Ohm speakers with 87 dB efficiency.
I was worried about sound levels before I bought these speakers, but they are fine.
I have found that I don't like metal tweeters with the 1050, too bright and harsh, but that's just me.

------------------
"Art is not a mirror, but a hammer."

#1696 - 03/30/02 11:39 AM Re: safe volume levels
m-mmeyer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chanhassen, MN, USA
Low 60's WOW. Maybe it is because I run a 750 and a Nad218thx that I seldom run over 50. I have more watts to work with. Also keep in mind that running at high levels like that airflow becomes more important. I leave one of my glass doors open when running to the max like that, things get hot and their life is shortened with excessive heat.

------------------
m-mmeyer not so evil twin of Gonk
"Pain heals, Chicks dig scars and glory is forever"
From the mouth of Keanu Reeves one the great pundits of our time! smile

#1697 - 03/30/02 04:22 PM Re: safe volume levels
zacster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I've pushed mine up to 70+, and once the display said "maximum". It still sounded fine at 70, but it was loud.

#1698 - 03/30/02 09:18 PM Re: safe volume levels
youngguns Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Nunica, Michigan
thanks for all the help guys. you all sound like you listen at the same volumes as i do movies usually high 50's and music about 39-53. thanks again.

#1699 - 04/02/02 01:02 PM Re: safe volume levels
Hi4head Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lexington, NC
Hi youngguns;

Remember that the volume level figures used by other Outlaws is going to be based on their preference and the sensitivity of the speakers. Someone with highly sensitive (more efficient) speakers, like an old set of Klipsch, will have the volume setting lower to get the same actual volume level.

I don't think that you should have any problems with your MA 5i's. While I typically listen to DVD's and video at around 50 and CD's around 40 - 45, I have been known to crank up the music to 60 - 70 when my wife is not home. Remember, I also use the Silver 5i's.

The sound was incredibly loud, but, still clean.

The specs on the 5i's show that they can handle 150 RMS and 250 peak watts. The 65 watts on the 1050 is not an issue. As I recall in discussions about not cranking the volume up past 3/4, some of that had to do with "crap" receivers that would be really pushed when at the upper end of their limits. The potential was damage to the receiver and/or lousy sound at higher levels.

Chris

#1700 - 04/02/02 02:18 PM Re: safe volume levels
GeorgeC Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Culver City, CA 90232
I have some really big Klipsch speakers that are so clear at very high volume levels that I really didn't realize just how loud I was playing them (I was waiting for the distortion to come in and warn me, but it never did). It wasn't until my friend and I started comparing notes on this "ringing" we were hearing, that didn't seem like part of the music selection we were hearing. When we realized it was coming from our ears, we immediately turned it down! So no, with a good system and speakers you may not hear distortion, if at all, until you've done some major damage to your ears. Learn from my dumb mistake!

#1701 - 04/23/02 02:20 AM Re: safe volume levels
eddyboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ,USA
He's right, as many of us who grew up in the
1960s know. It does not have to be distorted to damage your hearing. With
the 1050 and a good set of speakers you will
likely cross the threshold of pain before
damaging the electronics. Your ears, however
can be damaged with exposure to levels substantially less than the equipment
can produce. This is all about listening. ..
keep your most valuable and irreplaceable
instruments out of harms way.

Eddyboy

#1702 - 04/23/02 07:44 PM Re: safe volume levels
Lardoggy Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Tustin, CA
Well, I've only had my 1050 for a few days now (Love it, by the way) and I don't think I've had it over 50 yet! I live in a condo and have to be somewhat respectful of my neighbors. I was listening to the Training Day soundtrack on Sunday at around 50 with my windows open, enjoying a warm So Cal afternoon, when I realized that some of my neighbors who have small children probably weren't appreciating it . One thing I have noticed, however, is the difference in volume when I change listening modes. Natural (my non DVD mode of choice) seems to be much louder than surround, Phantom and 3 Channel. Hall/Jazz/Stadium also relatively loud for obvious reasons. Anyone else notice this?

[This message has been edited by Lardoggy (edited April 23, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 95 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts