Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16881 - 07/15/07 01:13 PM NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
Hammer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago, IL
Hopefully this is the right forum as I'm new here.

I've currently been hit by the upgrade bug and ran across a great deal on a NAD T773. I really liked the sound and the unit was pretty beefy for a receiver. (53lbs) While doing my homework several people suggested that I go separates instead and Outlaw was one of the suggestions. Last time I bought equipment (Onkyo TX-NR900) I pulled the trigger a little fast and have kind of regretted it so I'm trying to be a little more careful this time.

I'm about 50/50 music/HT and my speakers are Polk RTi12 (L/R), CSi5 (C), and FXi3 (RL/RR). I'm pretty happy with the speakers and don't see making a change soon.

Right now with the Onkyo my system is a bit bright and it really feels a bit underpowered. Also, the bass seems a bit lacking for what I'd expect as well. I do like the music server ability though (uncompressed).

I was considering selling the Onkyo and going for the NAD ($1100 new) and adding a Cambridge Azur 640H ($1300 new) to keep the server capability. The NAD firmware can be flashed so I didn't have a lot of concern about new formats, etc.

However, now I am looking at keeping the Onkyo for now and just getting either a 7200, 7500, or 7700. I'd probably bi-amp my RTi12's (with the 5 channel I'd let the Onkyo run the FXi3's).

I have been told by some that the NAD is more musical than Outlaw but would really like some better input. I understand that this forum my be a little biased but I'd still really appreciate any thoughts or advice either way.

Thanks

#16882 - 07/15/07 04:07 PM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
NAD certainly makes good gear, but I haven't heard any of their recent stuff. (Interesting NAD/Outlaw trivia: Outlaw's president, Peter Tribeman, was head of NAD's US division from some time in the '80s until the early to mid '90s - a connection that has often been cited as part of the reason for Outlaw's minimalist design style and the green power button that appeared on Outlaw gear up through the Model 950.) I don't know that the NAD would be classified as more musical than the Outlaw - certainly not as a general statement (the 990 is excellent with music, for example). There may be some folks around here who have heard both the T773 and the 1070 who could offer some first-hand feedback.

The idea of separate amplification for now could be a quite good upgrade - the RTi12's aren't as difficult to drive as the LSi's, but they will probably appreciate the extra power offered by a separate amp like the 7200.

#16883 - 07/16/07 02:43 AM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
Hammer Offline
Gunslinger

I thought that the NAD and Outlaw stuff looked very similar. wink

So let me ask this then...do you think that I am going overkill on the upgrade at this point? I will admit that there may be a bit of ego here but I am trying to mesh that with real need.

In looking around I did find a great deal on NAD seperates (T163 and T973) for $2k (retail $3.5k) so I'm now really torn since I have heard NAD (not on my speakers though) before.

Still...the more I read about Outlaw the more I am drawn toward it. It just seems too good to be true at times but I read only good things about it.

#16884 - 07/16/07 02:52 AM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

I'm always leery of "too good to be true" myself, and I'll say that the Outlaw gear really is a good value. Keep in mind the 30-day return policy on Outlaw - you have the option of trying it out in your system, with your gear, at your own pace, and if you decide it's not your thing you are out just the cost of shipping it back.

#16885 - 07/16/07 02:52 PM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Hammer,
My Dad found Outlaw and picked up the 1050 back in the day. My little brother followed w/ the 1070. My self - the 990/7125 combo. I was looking into the 4800 series from Denon.
But, I have all ways wanted separates. So I was looking into Rotel and a few others. I really, really liked the look of the Rotels. But, the overall sound did not sit right with me. Then I cruised thru the Outlaw web site. I talked to my Brother and Dad, read reviews……..
I saw the Combo pricing and pull the trigger.
I’m a happy customer.
The stuff is good and at a really good value.
Are there flaws? ..... Some - but they have been handled (updates) or replacement units have been sent out.
I performed the update myself on the 990 (very cool).

In saloon, there is a thread for systems. I find it very interesting all of the different combinations: speakers, electronics, subs, cables etc. There is plenty of Outlaw equipment smattered in and around. To me, that is a testament to the neutrality and quality of the Outlaw sound.

At the end of the day, are you going to be a little down because you did not pursue the NAD combo? Do what you got to do……

The cool aspect about home theater/2-channel is every system is really good for the person who builds it.

Is the Outlaw gear for real? ….. Yep.

Later……

#16886 - 07/20/07 12:31 AM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
Hammer Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah. The more I've read over the last couple of days the more that I am leaning towards separates. After I bought the Onkyo I decided that but lately a buddy has been trying to push me towards receivers again. Ultimately though separates provide so much more flexibility and I think that I'll end up with a better system long run. I can buy the amp now and hold off on the pre/pro for a bit. I'm kind of curious what Outlaw will come out with to succeed the 990. HDMI 1.3? A modular (card) design?

Anyway, now my main hang up is getting a better understanding on some of the "hum" problem that is being talked about in the 7500/7700 forum. My current system is dead quite and it would really annoy me to end up with a hum no matter how low. Hopefully it all gets worked out though since I think that Outlaw is the direction that I am going to go.

#16887 - 07/20/07 12:56 AM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

We're pretty sure that the successor to the 990 and 970 will be HDMI v1.3 (even if we aren't assured of having any sources that make v1.3 particularly useful), but probably not a modular design - those tend to get pricey, and would likely land at a price point above what Outlaw's target market would be comfortable with.

#16888 - 07/21/07 08:59 PM Re: NAD T773 vs. Outlaw
UMtiger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Memphis, TN
Hammer,
1st the hum, I just hooked mine up and no hum.
Bright sounding, no, and has more bass than I had before. I am talking about the combo of the 990/7500.
Lastly, I had NAD seperates before this, and the Outlaw got my dollar. Very pleased. Now if you are talking about the Master Series, then that is a whole different ballgame.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts