Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16825 - 05/24/07 01:55 AM LCR Speaker puffery
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
In the Outlaw newsletter they stated that:
Quote:
The Outlaw LCR Speaker will be the world’s first dual-purpose speaker capable of either vertical operation for use as a left/right speaker, or in the horizontal position normally used for center channel placement.
I would like to inform Outlaw that NHT made 2 separate lines of speakers (each with multiple releases)that which were sold as either a Left/Right surround speaker if mounted vertically or a center channel if mounted horizontally. The NHT VS1.x and 2.x speakers had the exact same speaker configuration as Outlaw's LCR speaker and the VS2.4's had the same size speakers. Both speaker lines have been out of production for some time. I purchased my VS1.4 around 2003 near the end of its production life. While I could not find when these speaker lines were introduced, it would not surprise me if NHT got "there" a decade before Outlaw.

You could even make a case that Outlaw's current speaker line is a much higher end update to what NHT tried to do with its Superzero and VS lines.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#16826 - 05/24/07 05:50 AM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
MTM's that are mounted vertically or horizontally are hardly new, of course, but I think their point is that they've included two separate crossover networks, one for each orientation. Here's a quote from Ultimate AV referring to it (taken from here ):
Quote:
There are two crossovers in the box, one optimized for a vertical left / right stance, the other for a center channel stance. The latter minimizes comb filtering, the bane of horizontal arrayed two way center channels. The switch to "switch" between the two crossover is on the back.
It's the dual crossover arrangement that I believe to be the focus of their comment.

#16827 - 05/24/07 11:27 AM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
NHT's Evolution series of speakers have the same type of "Boundary Compensation" switch for corner placement. Atlantic Technology also uses the same Boundary switch as I'm sure many other fine speaker manufacturers do.

#16828 - 05/24/07 11:38 AM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
gonk Offline
Desperado

This is separate from the boundary compensation, though. The boundary compensation switch that the Outlaw Bookshelf has is not a new idea. The LCR will also have this same switch, but it will also have two separate crossover networks, one which is doing something to help alleviate combing when in the horizontal orientation (I don't recall seeing specifics on how this is being done), and it's that "multiple crossover personality" feature that they appear to be referring to in the newsletter . 73Bruin's quote comes from the first paragraph that talks about the LCR, but the second paragraph goes on to say:
Quote:
The magic comes from a unique dual-crossover system, specially designed to minimize comb filtering, and the availability of 2 dB or 4 dB of boundary compensation to optimize performance, all contained within a solid cabinet that takes its style cues from the Bookshelf Loudspeaker.
They're not saying that the boundary compensation is new and revolutionary or that they've invented the idea of setting a horizontal MTM speaker on end, since both would be quite silly claims to make.

#16829 - 05/24/07 12:35 PM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
PeterT Offline
Gunslinger

Everyone,

I think I have to step in here to clarify a few points:

The idea of laying an MTM design speaker down in a horizontal configuration is not new in itself. However, unless the tweeter in the design is mounted off-center (then somewhat diluting the advantages of a classic D'appolito style array for a vertical configuration) there are comb filtering effects experienced by the listener when he is off direct axis of the center channel. Midrange will have varying frequency response based upon angle and distance from the speaker. A 2 1/2 way design helps address this problem.

What we have done in this speaker is to the best of our knowledge, unique. In the vertical orientation the speaker is a normal MTM two-way. However, when operated in the horizontal position, after the switch has been thrown, the speaker employs a second crossover and becomes a 2 1/2 way design.This improves the overall smoothness of the frequency response in the horizontal plane.

We have many colleagues at THX who have a lot of experience in this area. While we were developing this design we asked them if they had ever seen the approach of dual crossovers. Their answer to us was" No, but that is really clever" One of them inquired, "By the way have you patented this yet? We chuckled and said "Don't even think about it."

We really look forward to many of you hearing this product when it is released in early fall.

Peter Tribeman

#16830 - 05/24/07 09:50 PM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
tru blu Offline
Desperado

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Bravo, Peter. I'll take that "don't even think about it" as a "yes."

#16831 - 05/25/07 12:48 PM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Have I got this right?

The run-of-the-mill MTM speaker may have a simple two-way crossover at about 3KHz, both mid-bass drivers receiving the same signal. The concept of two-and-a-half way arrangement means that while one of the mid-bass drivers still receives the full mid-bass range of frequencies, the other mid-bass driver might only come into the mix as the frequencies near 400Hz and lower. As a result, in the two-and-a-half way configuration, the tweeter does most of the work above 3KHz, one mid-bass driver handles most of the work from 3Khz down to 400Hz, and from 400Hz on down, both mid-bass drivers are working.

Sounds ‘pretty nifty.’ I’d be tempted to try it even for vertical use, just to hear the difference and how clarity might be affected - especially if I had three of these across the front, I might want them all in the same mode.

#16832 - 05/25/07 02:23 PM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
tkolody Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Just an FYI, MTm have a different lobing pattern than your tyopical 2-way or 3-way. Setting an MTM on it's side is not a good center channel. You are much better off using your L/R's as centers or using a W-T/M-W as a center channel. Due the lobing effect created by an MTM you do not get much vertical dispersion. In fact this was Dr. D'Appolito's desired effect when he came up with the original MTM. MTM's provide a more focused sound and therefore better imaging. When laid sideways you get almost zero horizontal dispersion.

Here is a reference to what I am talking about.
http://nousaine.com/cen%20chan%201.htm
http://www.birotechnology.com/articles/VSTWLA.html

If you listen to an MTM on axis seated you get very good imaging and a balanced sound if designed well. If you stand up the midrange gets sucked out. Now turn this on it's side, and you can see what happens. Go to the bottom of this page see the graph and you will understand what I am talking about.

http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=gem_mod.html

#16833 - 05/25/07 02:45 PM Re: LCR Speaker puffery
gonk Offline
Desperado

It may not be possible until the speaker is closer to production, but it sounds like something unusual is happening that we may need more information from Outlaw on before we can understand exactly what is happening. The issues surrounding MTM speakers are certainly well-known, so additional details on how this 2-1/2 way crossover is working would be handy. In the meanwhile. bestbang4thebuck's scenario certainly sounds interesting.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM