Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16698 - 03/19/07 12:30 AM How to get better FM/AM reception
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Hey All,

My system is up save the speakers which should be this week. Using headphones the DVD player works using ICs and the digital coax too. I ran a 35 foot coax from my PC sound care to the 1070 and that works. The Antenna in the box works ok for FM and not at all for AM. I tried an older Terk , powered antenna and that did not really help.

I am in Long Island , NY, a basement and I want to get good radion signal.

Anybody?
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#16699 - 03/19/07 11:34 AM Re: How to get better FM/AM reception
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Liz':

Here's what I'm using: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MDST2&variation=

This is a product that has been around for years. Unlike the cheapo powered antennas, it actually pulls in stations, not just a lot of extra noice.

Ideally, you want to put it some place high and run COAX back to your 1070. Right now, I have mine in my attic and I'm using a plumbing chase to drop the COAX cable to the basement. However, the antenna is weather proof, so you can put it outside (I have in prior dwellings). It's not all that conspicuous, since it's only the size of a CB antenna.

Bear in mind this antenna is FM only. If you're like many people with basement systems who have less than optimal reception acorss the board, you may want to try to zero in on a favorite station or two. If that's the case, my suggestion is to get a spouse / friend, hook up the antenna with a few yards of cable, grab a couple walkie talkies, then have one person tune to a favorite station, and have the other walk around with the antenna looking for an optimum spot to put it.

Good luck!

VD
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#16700 - 03/19/07 06:52 PM Re: How to get better FM/AM reception
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Hi VD,

That is the one I have been reseaching, How do you like it? What does it do for you?
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#16701 - 03/20/07 10:05 AM Re: How to get better FM/AM reception
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
It's the best FM antenna I have owned. The second best product, also from Magnum Dynalab, I have used is this one: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MDSR100

We used to sell both at the store back in my retail days. The ribbon antenna was the bigger seller of the two and will do a fine job if you have a clear shot to a window and/or are not below grade.

Seeing as how you are in a basement, the jump to the whip antenna would make sense for you. I've used this antenna in a variety of locations and had good results each time: outside, on top of a roof; fastened to the balcony railing in a high-rise apartment; and currently, inside my attic.

Like I said, it tends to bring in stations better than the powered antennas. We used to carry Terk, mostly due to brand recognition, but our customers had far greater success with the passive MD antennas. Nine times out of ten the powered antennas did little to pull in the station, but just boosted the background hiss.

Funny story for you... I'm not sure if this was a testament to the antenna, my old Marantz 10B, or just the state of cell phone transmission in the early 90s (probably it was all three), but when I lived in my old apartment, I could tune to the low end of the dial on the 10B and occasionally pick up cell phone calls.

One memorable intercepted call included a girl telling her boyfriend to call her on her land line. Well, I couldn't resist; I dialed the number myself, played along a bit like I was the guy, then told her I had just heard her cell call. Next thing I heard was "click." Man, that really freaked her out.

Anyway, I can't promise you any eavesdropping capability, but it's a good antenna.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#16702 - 04/07/07 04:18 PM Re: How to get better FM/AM reception
rhahm Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

this one works great for AM:

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/twin-coil-ferrite-am-antenna.aspx

found one on ebay for ~$70 shipped

I use a small outdoor tv antenna for FM

the Terk stuff never worked for me

HD radio may come into it's own soon...

cheers

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts