Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#16345 - 11/15/06 10:16 AM acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I have been looking for acoustic measurement software that would allow me to measure the sound characteristics of my system and/or the room it is in. I am currently experimenting with RoomEQWizard but was wondering if any of you had other suggestions/experience to share. I would prefer Linux open source (non-proprietary) software but whatever suggestions you have will be welcomed.
Thanks.

#16346 - 11/15/06 11:30 AM Re: acoustic software
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Ahh, behold the power of google. wink

linuxaudio.org

There's a program on there called "Japa" that just might do what you're looking for.

#16347 - 11/15/06 12:30 PM Re: acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
Ahh, behold the power of google
I guess I deserve that RTFM response for not being very clear. I was hoping for your personal suggestions and experiences.

A few months ago (thanks to Google), I stumbled into this list of HTPC Killer Apps which includes some measurement software. I guess I will continue the download/trial/error cycle, but it sure would be nice if a fellow board member would save me some time...

#16348 - 11/15/06 12:49 PM Re: acoustic software
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Sorry if my post offended you in anyway. I didn't mean for it to come across that way...

Since it seems like you have experience with some of the software that's available out there, it would be helpful if your post indicated exactly what the software you had tried didn't do and why you're looking for something different. Armed with that knowledge, I'm sure somebody could make a more informed referral.

For further help, you should also post what kind of measurement equipment you are using in conjuction with the software. What kind of microphones do you have? How many? What kind of computer audio interface are you using? Without knowing the capabilities of your equipment, it's very hard to post specific software recommendations.

#16349 - 11/15/06 04:17 PM Re: acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

No problem Jason J, no offense taken.
I am currently trying RoomEQWizard, which is a Java application. I am having problems running it with my SPL meter connected to my external USB sound card, even though I am using identical equipment to what's in the RoomEQWizard user's manual. I am getting no reading in real-time mode. The reading spikes when I plug/unplug stuff, but otherwise it doesn't appear to be detecting anything.

I have also tried EFT5. The only problem with EFT5 is that it is a windows app and it doesn't appear to run properly on Linux using the Wine emulator (it runs, but it doesn't recognize any of my sound devices). EFT5 is not cheap and my trial time already expired.

I also looked at WinMLS and it looks exactly like what I was looking for, except for one big problem: it would cost more than my Outlaw pre/pro. The room acoustics measurement suite (level 4) of winmls doesn't even have a price listed. Level 3 costs $499.

I'll keep playing with RoomEQWizard, since it is free and I have no time limit. I am running it on my IBM Thinkpad laptop running Mandriva Linux, recent kernel, latest java virtual machine, ALSA sound system. Everything on the laptop works fine. I am able to send sound to the Outlaw pre/pro just fine. I might have to try running it on a windoze box just in case it is a java virtual machine issue. It is also quite possible that there is something wrong with the signal from my SPL meter or my connection (although I am pretty sure mine does not use phono connections, but I'll double-check). That's why I was hoping someone here had already learned all these lessons and could share them with me.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

#16350 - 11/15/06 09:34 PM Re: acoustic software
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I am not sure if this will help, but I use an SMS-1 that manages my bass management only. The theory is that the higher frequencies, above 200 Hz that are bouncing around the room are very difficult to control, at least at any particular listening position. So, without building a dedicated home theater, with the sound environment engineered in, the best sound performance per buck is just to manage the low end of the sound spectrum.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#16351 - 11/16/06 06:56 AM Re: acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks MeanGene, that's kind of what I am wrestling with. I have a dedicated home theatre and am trying to get some baseline measurements. Then, if I add some additional sound management or sound treatment later, I can measure the difference. This is not something too critical for me, just part of the hobby. I think I am pretty close to how I like my sound, so I am more interested in recording a baseline measurement at this time.

#16352 - 11/18/06 09:02 AM Re: acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Just a follow up: I did get RoomEQWizard to work using a microphone instead of an SPL meter as they recommend. I used the omnidirectional test microphone that comes with the Outlaw 990. I set my system for Stereo7, ran a few of the basic tests and was able to get a response curve that pointed to my subwoofer being too loud (I had set it up using the 990's automatic setup) and the crossover too high. I ran channel-by-channel SPL readings and eventually was able to get a pretty good response curve considering I am not using any form of compensation. If anyone else would like to try it, here's a link to the Room EQ Wizard web page. The program is free.

#16353 - 11/21/06 01:00 PM Re: acoustic software
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Well, so much for being cheap. I liked the difference I was able to make with my hacked-together system so much that I decided to order the SMS-1 and see if I can get even better. I guess you'll see me in the SMS-1 forum next...

#16354 - 11/21/06 02:32 PM Re: acoustic software
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Oh, you'll have no end of fun with the SMS-1. wink

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts