Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#16017 - 09/21/06 10:32 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
goddom Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor MI
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows what happened to ESS? I need to get some new passive radiators and woofers.

Thanks

#16018 - 09/21/06 10:54 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
You can find more information about ESS on my home page. Just follow the link in my signature and go to the Links page .

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#16019 - 09/22/06 12:05 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
Passive's and speakers are readily available on ebay too.
Lonster

#16020 - 10/18/06 11:15 AM Re: New ESS Speakers
Ed Hall Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Kne vada
I purchased the second to the last pair of ESS AMT1-D speakers from ESS last February. When played them they rattled, I found out later that the dust covers were falling off. I contacted ESS and they sent an old used 12", I called and said I needed a "new" replacement speaker. They said they would send one out, that was months ago, I still have not received anything but BS from them. Now their website is gone and all I have is a phone number and BS. Pretty shameful way to treat their customers. All the speakers must be in Germany by now. They say they will send me new speakers but nothing is ever sent. Nice speakers but now I have to replace both woofers.

Ed

#16021 - 10/18/06 12:08 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's a real shame, Ed. Sorry to hear about the problems you've run into.

#16022 - 10/18/06 05:23 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
wolverine Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ann Arbor
Yes Ed, that's really too bad. Several months ago ESS was unloading their remaining stock of new large Heil transformers (tweeters) on ebay for $300/pair (I think?), so I am not surprised they are now gone. Thought about buying a pair just to have them for an emergency.

By dust covers do you mean the surrounds around the woofer cones and the passive radiators, or do you mean the whole grill-cloth "bonnet" that sits on top?

#16023 - 02/07/07 04:14 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
bobby_a236 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angesles
This is a very useful site. I happen to be here by chance while searching for the ess website. I'm in dire need of two heil-air motion xfmrs for my old amt 1d. Any body knows where to get one since according to some of these postings, ess has now moved its operation to germany.

#16024 - 02/07/07 05:20 PM Re: New ESS Speakers
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
AudioKarma forums may be what you want. Lots of vintage audio buffs there. They have a thread devoted to loudspeakers. I have, over time, came accross posts about the ESS heil-air motion speakers.
Other than that I cannot think of any other sites.

#82491 - 02/18/10 03:52 AM Re: New ESS Speakers [Re: Ed Hall]
el_seven Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Originally Posted By: Ed Hall
I purchased the second to the last pair of ESS AMT1-D speakers from ESS last February. When played them they rattled, I found out later that the dust covers were falling off. I contacted ESS and they sent an old used 12", I called and said I needed a "new" replacement speaker. They said they would send one out, that was months ago, I still have not received anything but BS from them. Now their website is gone and all I have is a phone number and BS. Pretty shameful way to treat their customers. All the speakers must be in Germany by now. They say they will send me new speakers but nothing is ever sent. Nice speakers but now I have to replace both woofers.

Ed

That's terrible. I realize that internal strife got the better of the company but that's no way to treat a slender customer base involved with such a unique driver.

I too was in the position to acquire a pair of the AMT-1D speakers and lo and behold i found the same issues with cabinet construction. The joinery was lousy between the 2 halves, bottom and top. The one cabinet actually separated from itself and i was forced to become a carpenter or better suited to this problem, a furniture repair person. The woofers had also the dustcaps falling apart but even more of an issue was the inner suspension de-laminating from the woofer baskets. The tweeters sounded fine except that i noticed the cheaper avenue of sound by using a diaphragm with fewer traces of signal path and fewer pleats than previous AMT speakers i've owned. I spoke with the new ESS company last year to find they use the same cheap diaphragms and are being sold now with those "lessened" signal traces.

Shame on them altogether, i love my Heil speakers. I hope things worked on your end but i'm not buying anything but the older researched AMT's anymore.

#85680 - 01/22/11 08:30 PM Re: New ESS Speakers [Re: el_seven]
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
You might want to try here, I think you will have better results.

http://www.essspeakersusa.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ESS-Labs-LLC/10150109682755562

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts