Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15618 - 01/08/06 09:22 PM DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Well it turns out I can record all PPV movies to my DirecTV DVR and it looks like I can record very nice copies of many of these items on to my new SONY DVD recorder, in stereo only - no digital audio input for transfer of recorded DD sound tracks ( not enough DD anyway )

FYI - If you are not aware - There is a broadcast copy protection signal encoded in to some of these movies that prevents SONY recorders from copying to DVDR disk.
2 known = National Treasure - Batman Begins.
SONY Studios ?

I simply want to record a copy for my use. $50+ a month is already quite enough for me for basic SAT + ENCORE movies. No reason to pay for premium channels just to see a movie a few months later 40 - 50 times when I can build my own basic library of movies I would like to view again. I would like to be able to record movies on to DVD that I have paid to view - record on to my sat DVR - guess that is what I get for not doing some research, But I had a $200 Best Buy gift card to kill. Anyone know of a brand that ignores the broadcast copy guard signal ? Panasonic ? Toshiba ?

In addition, the DVD+R DL disks will not play back in a standard DVD player anyway. Looks like you have to have a DVD Recorder or higher end DVD unit for replay of recorded DVD disks.

#15619 - 01/08/06 11:19 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would suspect that any major brand manufacturers are going to be similar in their support of copy protection flags, so Panasonic and Toshiba may not help much. A smaller brand might be a bit less strict in its copy protection.

DVD+R is not part of the official DVD Forum standard; neither is DVD+RW. DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM are all official formats, although very few players support DVD-RAM (Panasonic supports it on all of their players, but that's because their DVD recorders support DVD-R and DVD-RAM only). DVD+R support is very spotty - outside or +R recorders, it's a bit random as to which players can actually play them back.

#15620 - 01/10/06 01:57 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Michael Moore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Lansing, MI
Steve,

The Sima SSC or SSC2 will allow you to copy from your DVR to DVD recorder The SSC can be had for about $100 online.

mike

#15621 - 01/10/06 09:23 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

I found another product that looks like it may do the trick.

http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml

Will be trying some DVD-R / -RW disks to see if they will play back in my other DVD players and computer. Waiting on my BB rebates . . .

#15622 - 01/11/06 11:53 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
BrettCottel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ceres, CA USA
But will these units copy in DD or just stereo?....I gotta have the DD
Klipschorn front R
Klipsch Belle front left
Kilpsch Cornwall II's rear
Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds
Outlaw LFM-1
64" Samsung Plasma 8500
Amazon off air receiver
MX 850 Remote
Zappiti NAS RIP
Zappiti pro 4K HDR

#15623 - 01/12/06 12:10 AM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume by DD you mean DD 5.1 and not DD 2.0 - DVD recorders typically do record in Dolby Digital (it is the standard audio format for a DVD per the DVD Forum, although PCM is also supported), but without a digital audio input or a six-channel analog audio input to carry a multichannel signal to the recorder there is no way to do more than stereo (be it Dolby Digital or PCM) and you won't find either of those on a consumer grade set-top DVD recorder. You might be able to use a combination of sound card, PC software, and DVD burner drive to produce a DD 5.1 disc, but I'm not sure how many problems you might run into even then.

#15624 - 01/12/06 08:27 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Stereo input only. Not very much to record in DD from DirecTV - TIVO captures DD 5.1 and will output regular L/R stereo or the recorded DD 5.1 through optical for playback - no digital audio recording input on this DVD recorder. Not trying to copy DVD's, if I want a full DD 5.1 DVD I'll buy it. Given the life span of recording disks its not worth the trouble trying to generate home made copies. I'll take a stereo sound track ( PLII ! )that might last a few years for my cost of $5. I'll be able to buy a replacement of it as a new DD 5.1 from the oldy moldy selection at walmart for $5 by then. I have been collecting movies for years - about 600 titles, through paying $20 for new relases. It's time to go HDTV !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM