Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15618 - 01/08/06 09:22 PM DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Well it turns out I can record all PPV movies to my DirecTV DVR and it looks like I can record very nice copies of many of these items on to my new SONY DVD recorder, in stereo only - no digital audio input for transfer of recorded DD sound tracks ( not enough DD anyway )

FYI - If you are not aware - There is a broadcast copy protection signal encoded in to some of these movies that prevents SONY recorders from copying to DVDR disk.
2 known = National Treasure - Batman Begins.
SONY Studios ?

I simply want to record a copy for my use. $50+ a month is already quite enough for me for basic SAT + ENCORE movies. No reason to pay for premium channels just to see a movie a few months later 40 - 50 times when I can build my own basic library of movies I would like to view again. I would like to be able to record movies on to DVD that I have paid to view - record on to my sat DVR - guess that is what I get for not doing some research, But I had a $200 Best Buy gift card to kill. Anyone know of a brand that ignores the broadcast copy guard signal ? Panasonic ? Toshiba ?

In addition, the DVD+R DL disks will not play back in a standard DVD player anyway. Looks like you have to have a DVD Recorder or higher end DVD unit for replay of recorded DVD disks.

#15619 - 01/08/06 11:19 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I would suspect that any major brand manufacturers are going to be similar in their support of copy protection flags, so Panasonic and Toshiba may not help much. A smaller brand might be a bit less strict in its copy protection.

DVD+R is not part of the official DVD Forum standard; neither is DVD+RW. DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM are all official formats, although very few players support DVD-RAM (Panasonic supports it on all of their players, but that's because their DVD recorders support DVD-R and DVD-RAM only). DVD+R support is very spotty - outside or +R recorders, it's a bit random as to which players can actually play them back.

#15620 - 01/10/06 01:57 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Michael Moore Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: East Lansing, MI
Steve,

The Sima SSC or SSC2 will allow you to copy from your DVR to DVD recorder The SSC can be had for about $100 online.

mike

#15621 - 01/10/06 09:23 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

I found another product that looks like it may do the trick.

http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml

Will be trying some DVD-R / -RW disks to see if they will play back in my other DVD players and computer. Waiting on my BB rebates . . .

#15622 - 01/11/06 11:53 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
BrettCottel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ceres, CA USA
But will these units copy in DD or just stereo?....I gotta have the DD
Klipschorn front R
Klipsch Belle front left
Kilpsch Cornwall II's rear
Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds
Outlaw LFM-1
64" Samsung Plasma 8500
Amazon off air receiver
MX 850 Remote
Zappiti NAS RIP
Zappiti pro 4K HDR

#15623 - 01/12/06 12:10 AM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume by DD you mean DD 5.1 and not DD 2.0 - DVD recorders typically do record in Dolby Digital (it is the standard audio format for a DVD per the DVD Forum, although PCM is also supported), but without a digital audio input or a six-channel analog audio input to carry a multichannel signal to the recorder there is no way to do more than stereo (be it Dolby Digital or PCM) and you won't find either of those on a consumer grade set-top DVD recorder. You might be able to use a combination of sound card, PC software, and DVD burner drive to produce a DD 5.1 disc, but I'm not sure how many problems you might run into even then.

#15624 - 01/12/06 08:27 PM Re: DVD RECORDING - Personal use
Steve_C Offline
Gunslinger

Stereo input only. Not very much to record in DD from DirecTV - TIVO captures DD 5.1 and will output regular L/R stereo or the recorded DD 5.1 through optical for playback - no digital audio recording input on this DVD recorder. Not trying to copy DVD's, if I want a full DD 5.1 DVD I'll buy it. Given the life span of recording disks its not worth the trouble trying to generate home made copies. I'll take a stereo sound track ( PLII ! )that might last a few years for my cost of $5. I'll be able to buy a replacement of it as a new DD 5.1 from the oldy moldy selection at walmart for $5 by then. I have been collecting movies for years - about 600 titles, through paying $20 for new relases. It's time to go HDTV !!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 138 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,692 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM