Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15605 - 01/03/06 06:29 PM Multi-room audio suggestions?
tlavigne Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

While I'm not an audiophile, I love my Outlaw gear. No frills, it does what it is supposed to and does it well.

Now I'm rehabbing a house, and I'm trying to determine what multi-room system to use. Audio Server? A-Bus? What company? Russound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If Outlaw came out with a system, I would be ecstatic!

#15606 - 01/03/06 11:24 PM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sounds like a fun project, and one that I've never attempted before so I can't offer much insight. Are you thinking about two in-wall/in-ceiling speakers per room? Any thoughts on how many rooms you'll be including in the system or what sources you are thinking about running through the system?

#15607 - 01/04/06 08:43 AM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
tlavigne Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 rooms with 2 speakers per room. Mostly I play music sourced through Airport Express (iTunes from my computer), but it will also need radio and DirecTV.

A friend of mine just installed the Russound RNET solution ( http://www.russound.com/rnet.htm ) with seemingly great success -- but the A-BUS system seems like a better design approach ( http://www.russound.com/abus.htm ). I'm having a hard time finding any decent reviews/suggestions on the various vendors/technology available.

#15608 - 01/04/06 09:46 AM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
The russound stuff looks intriguing from an ease-of-installation standpoint, but I can't imagine it sounding that good. It looks like it uses some sort of ethernet-type protocol for signal distribution and to intereact with the source control and then uses some tiny outboard "amplifier pads" mounted like light switches in individual rooms to get the juice to the actual speakers. Nifty design, but those little class D amps mounted in the space of a light switch probably don't sound so hot.

#15609 - 01/04/06 10:23 AM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
From an installation standpoint the A-Bus system sounds sweet! I'd be interested to hear opinions on the sound of this system. Jim

#15610 - 01/04/06 11:06 AM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
In most cases speakers mounted in the ceiling are used for ambient background noise and not critical listening. I would be more concerend about clarity of sound more than anything. Jim

#15611 - 01/04/06 12:00 PM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
If that's the case, the russound gear seems like a slam dunk in terms of ease-of-integration. I wonder how much it all costs?

Cheers,

#15612 - 01/04/06 02:11 PM Re: Multi-room audio suggestions?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I listend once to a little bit with the Yamaha Musiccast line of products. They feature a little in-wall amplifier that sounds very similiar to the A-bus amplifier. I heard it powering a pair of bookshelf NHT's and it sounded pretty good for something so small. I remember them costing around $400 per amp.

As for audio over ethernet, I just worked on a concert that featured all audio tie lines sent via Cat-5 cable via an Aviom network. It worked perfectly and sounded great. Of course, the Aviom spec may be different but it shows what advances have been made in the area.

To get install gear prices, you usually have to work with a store. That store will probably first refer you to one of their installers. I would go around to the authorized Russound dealers in your area and see what they recommend.

Hope that helps.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM