Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15500 - 11/26/05 08:42 AM CD Recorder
potato_repairman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha Nebraska
I am interested in getting a cd recorder to transfer my album collection to cd. After my albums have been recorded I want to use it as my primary cd player.Quality of sound is most important. What I've been considering are the Yamaha CDR HD 1300/1500, Denon CDR W1500, and HHB CDR830. Suggestions and information are greatly apprectiated. Thanks

#15501 - 11/26/05 10:10 AM Re: CD Recorder
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Every since I had two Yamaha's slowly die over time, and in the process create hundreds of coasters, I decided I would never buy a Yamaha again. But then, I'm Mean.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#15502 - 11/26/05 10:21 AM Re: CD Recorder
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I have used the HHB before and it works fine. I would also recommend a good record cleaner to remove any dirt before transfer for the best possible sound quality.

Here's my question: Why not use a computer?

You can load your records into a computer using any number of interfaces. Just take the output from your phono preamp and all you need is a line input on the computer interface.

Once your audio is in the computer, there are a ton of programs out there that will allow you to edit the tracks as neccesary and process for any pops and clicks. Depending on your computer platform of choice, options for software start from free on up. Here's an inexpensive Mac option:

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap/

Hope that helps...

#15503 - 11/26/05 11:47 AM Re: CD Recorder
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Going to a computer is a good idea - I've done that in the past with some cassette tapes. Not only can you clean up the audio, you can also edit it as needed and even include CD text when you but CD-R's. Obviously you'll need a phono pre-amp, as Jason J mentions, but unless you've already got a receiver with a phono input you'd need one anyway (and a standalone phono pre would probably give better results than most receiver's phono input). This will also let you select a primary CD player for its performance with CD playback. Will you be using the player's analog output, or will you use it sole as a digital transport and use your receiver's DAC?

#15504 - 11/26/05 03:39 PM Re: CD Recorder
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
what exactly does a potato repairman do?

how to you fix a broken potato?make vodka?

#15505 - 11/26/05 06:01 PM Re: CD Recorder
Mike in Virginia Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansdowne, Virginia
My reason for not going with a PC is the amount of time it takes to edit each record. I tried that route with some cassettes and for me the benefit from the editing (removing noise, getting rid of bad sections) was just not worth the time. I've recorded a few cassettes directly to a new DVD/CD recorder and have been very satisfied with the ease and quality of the process. If recording my vinyl works as well as recording my cassette tapes, I'll be perfectly happy.

Having a real DVD/CD recorder in the system makes the process work a lot more easily. The CDs it produces play just fine on my separate, higher quality DVD/CD player. (If I had golden ears I might do it differently but these 60-year-old ears were never golden at their best!) My recorder is about a month old and I will begin recording my vinyl when I finally get around to getting a supply of record cleaning fluid so I can get the best out of them. If anyone is curious, I'll be happy to describe my results.
Outlaw LCR center
Oppo OPDV971H DVD
LiteOn 5005 DVD recorder
SA 8300HD/DVR STB
Dual 1219 phono
Ion Tape2PC USB
Harmony 620
Samsung HLR5078W

#15506 - 01/16/06 01:11 PM Re: CD Recorder
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
Mike
I have 100 or so vinyl that have been in boxes for a while. No place to put them. This sounds like a great idea. How did the transfer to CD work out. What type of disc to you need to use for the best sound you can get.
Brad

#15507 - 02/16/06 10:19 PM Re: CD Recorder
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
I just now saw this post, but I'll tell you anyway. I use an ALESIS ML9600 Masterlink for making CDs. The last thing I want is to sit at the computer more than I do now !!!!

Also you can make 14 playlists. Make tracks. Move audio files between playlists and change their order in any given playlist. Then you tell it to make the CD. Oh I forgot. The intial recording is on a hard drive, on which there is 42 hours of time...more than I need but that's OK. Hard-drive CD recorder is best way.

So when you're ready to burn you tell it to. You can burn REDBOOK (44.1 @ 16 bit all the way up to 24 bit 96kHz, or the so-called "CD24". I don't use that function, becuase I would need to play it back on the Masterlink. That format is for giving to master studios for production, I guess, unless they were using DSD 1-bit.192 kHz !!!

I play back on Tascam CD01U (a 1 rack-unit-high player) or the Sony DVD 400 disc changer...or the car etc etc.

My use for making the CD's is to transpose from old recordings we did in the 1970s-90s.
For this recorder visit
http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=4
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#15508 - 03/18/06 09:36 PM Re: CD Recorder
stabie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX US
I just ordered the Alesis. I've seen them advertised for a few years now & the price is pretty reasonable at this point. I'll let you know how it goes. I really like the idea of being able to "preserve" stuff at greater than CD bitwidths/sampling rates. The other nice thing (from their info) is they can use data disks and you do not need the special audio blanks that some other recorders require.

#15509 - 03/19/06 01:05 PM Re: CD Recorder
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Couple more points:
(1) There are 52 hours of HD space on the ML9600 at redbook spec. So if you wanted to you could make programs. I don't but you could.

(2) There is a company making mods (Alesis tech support could tell you details) whereby additional HDs can be added, outboarded. I'm sure this voids the warranty, but if that's what you need....

(3) Better solution for long-term archiving and making programs, and.or copying etc is the ALESIS HD24 or HD24XR. Both are HD recorders, which will default to 24 tracks, not necessary for my uses, but you can tell it "no, I want 2 tracks" or whatever in between like 6-8 etc. etc. The HD24 will do up to 48 KHz smapling. The XR will do up to 96 KHz. You can edit, move, assign screen names, create projects into which you can place various albums. The drives are cheap and sit in "caddies" which are removable and store in a "library-type" case. Here's the link:

Link to HD24 HD24XR

I'll try (first time) to post a pic. Here goes:

You can visit their site and look at their FAQs
If you want to call me or vice versa send me a private message.

...and I don't work for them
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts