Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15490 - 11/19/05 08:33 PM diy rear speakers?
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

I have a 5.1 system, am thinking it might be nice to expand to 7.1, but I don't have a ton of space. From couch (which is up against the rear wall) to TV, it's about 11 or 12 feet.

So I had this idea that maybe I ought to scoot the couch forward about a foot, and build a narrow console-type table behind it, with the top at about the same height as the top of the couch. I could mount a pair of 3-way car speakers, pointed straight up, and I use the body of this makeshift table as an enclosure for these speakers.

Does this sound worthwhile? Crazy? If worthwhile, any tips on dimensions for the enclosure? I've never built my own speakers, so this would be new territory for me.

#15491 - 11/19/05 09:21 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
car speakers typically don't perform well in the home.there are exceptions where they do sound good,though.

keep in mind you are most likely talking about a 4 ohm load,also.

if your system can handle the load,and you are only using them for rear surrounds,it's probably totally do-able.

what type of speakers are you talking,i can probably shoot you a rough sealed number.

#15492 - 11/19/05 10:02 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Painttoad brings up some good ideas and one potential pitfall. There was a lengthy discussion of the reasons not to use car amps in a home theater last year. Speakers are not nearly as drastically different as amps, but they are designed for a different environment - receivers often have a hard time with loads at or below 4 ohms. Sources such as Parts Express can give you a good selection of speaker drivers intended for home use (easier for a receiver to drive), and there are at least a few DIY'ers around here who could probably help with the design (enclosure volume, crossovers, driver selection, etc). One thing you might try first (if you can grab an extra pair of speakers from somewhere) is mocking the concept up with a couple speakers on temp stands - see what it sounds like while sitting on the couch, and perhaps what orientation works best for spacing and angle.

#15493 - 11/26/05 10:25 AM Re: diy rear speakers?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I think going to 7.1 is a great idea, but what is your ultimate goal. If it's to have a better Home Theater experience, maybe upgrading current components in your system would bring greater enjoyment then just adding more speakers?

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#15494 - 12/06/05 10:05 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

Hm, I'm likely better off buying home audio speakers rather than building my own (whether with car audio speakers or home audio speaker drivers). Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by MeanGene:
I think going to 7.1 is a great idea, but what is your ultimate goal. If it's to have a better Home Theater experience, maybe upgrading current components in your system would bring greater enjoyment then just adding more speakers?
I'm pretty happy with most of my components. I have a major TV upgrade planned, after which I'll have a system that looks something like this:

42" Panasonic plasma TV
Panasonic DV-578A-S DVD/CD/DVD-A/SACD
Outlaw 1070
Swans 2.1s (L/R)
Swans C3 (center)
inexpensive small dipoles (SL/SR)
inexpensive 10" subwoofer
no rear speakers

I think the next upgrade for me will be one of the following:

replace SL/SR speakers
replace subwoofer
add rear speakers

The various replacement SL/SR speakers I would consider are too bulky for my room -- I have no reasonable spot to wall mount side surrounds, and bulky surrounds are difficult to stand-mount at an appropriate height.

replacing the subwoofer with a nicer subwoofer is a good idea, but honestly I think I might prefer the more enveloping effect of adding rear surrounds as my next upgrade.

#15495 - 12/06/05 10:47 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Try this website:

www.mksoundstore.com

Look under "Show Long list". Then look up a speaker called the "MP5". It may fit your needs for a small, cheap rear surround speaker.

#15496 - 12/06/05 11:02 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

it's showing the mp5 as discontinued.

we haven't discussed in wall or ceiling,though.which could be a good option for you.

#15497 - 12/07/05 05:00 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
we haven't discussed in wall or ceiling,though.which could be a good option for you.
Yes, I thought about that. In-wall likely won't work, as I probably will be mounting a very large piece of art behind the couch, which would cover up potential in-wall speaker spots.

In-ceiling strikes me as a less than ideal option for a rear speaker location, at least when the couch is so close to the rear wall -- I don't know that speakers more or less directly above me would localize as behind me.

#15498 - 12/07/05 05:16 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
lawtalker Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
it's showing the mp5 as discontinued.
discontinued, but not unavailable -- i.e. they still have stock left, although it's not a current model. I may give this a try.

#15499 - 12/07/05 05:22 PM Re: diy rear speakers?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Loudpanel...1QQcmdZViewItem

check this out,my buddy has these,can't vouch for the sound as i've never heard them.when you said fine art...i called him then looked 'em up.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts