Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15456 - 10/05/05 01:47 AM Subwoofer signal mix before delays?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I thought I would put this question in this section since it is directed toward all current and previous Outlaw receivers and pre/pros, as well as most other manufacturers’ similar gear.

Would you say that in general, when the speakers are set to something other than large, the subwoofer signals are removed from the full-range of each channel and mixed to the sub output before the delay settings affect each individual channel‘s output?

In the case where surround sub frequencies are mixed back to L+R channels set to large, then, if the above paragraph is true, the sub frequencies' delay would match the fronts.

If the sub frequencies are removed and mixed after the delay settings, such as when one is using an Outlaw ICBM or similar device between pre/pro and amplification, then potentially marginally out-of-phase mixing of the sub signals may occur. The effect of this may be negligible if the difference in delay settings is small - the wavelengths below 80Hz get long - and room acoustical effects and/or standing waves would contribute much more to introducing irregularities in the lowest frequencies than a slight shift in signals prior to mixing for the subwoofer output.

Information and comments welcome. cool

#15457 - 10/06/05 03:02 PM Re: Subwoofer signal mix before delays?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i think the straighter the path (less processing) the better. granted you need processing of some kind always...

if the system is setup up correctly, sizing and delays, etc. you wont get delayed sub frequencies.

i would think that the signal would be processed (mixed up or down, etc.) before the delays are considered. delay is more of an effect on the output, so its natural that it would occur later than manipulating the actual sound.

its good that man. are doing these auto-calibration systems, because it eliminates a lot of the guessing of whats best. it electronically measures things, like distance, etc. taking into account resistance in speaker wire, etc.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts