Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15451 - 10/04/05 09:48 PM Just when you thought you've seen it all!!!!................
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Someone comes up with this: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12...05-page-37.html

I don't know about the rest of you but I want one eek

Lasher

#15452 - 10/04/05 10:00 PM Re: Just when you thought you've seen it all!!!!................
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yeah, I saw that the other day and was quite amused. Adjustable pitch fan blades and a 1/3HP motor... Novel idea...

#15453 - 10/05/05 01:04 AM Re: Just when you thought you've seen it all!!!!................
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
OK, the average subwoofer covers about three octaves - so does this device. On that level, I suppose there is some validity.

No specs on the prototype, but I’m guessing that the noise floor might be 40 to 60db lower than it’s maximum output and that the noise is in the audible spectrum while the expected output is not. The noise floor is constant even when arriving through a very large ported enclosure such as the attic or other adjoining space and a large pass-through and likely only about 20 or 30db lower than the listening levels of the average material level coming from the rest of your system. Acceptable during the majority of listening?

Oh, while this device might be installed somewhere for special effects, do most users have source material or playback and pre/pro equipment that will pass such signals? Maybe these guys will have some success in a very special market such as an amusement theater of some type.

In the “I like it” column, I like the principle of “leveraged” output. I’ve had an idea for a leveraged device for a little while now, but doesn’t involve a fan nor a target range of 5 - 20Hz.

#15454 - 10/06/05 03:06 PM Re: Just when you thought you've seen it all!!!!................
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
this is a neat idea, but not really for home theatre. im sure the pressure fluctuation in the room where this thing outputs would be annoying. moving stuff around, shaking display devices, making record player skip, etc. who wants that. they already make tactile transducers designed to give effects to specific locations... this is a good idea. blowing the room apart is a bad one.

#15455 - 10/08/05 02:40 PM Re: Just when you thought you've seen it all!!!!................
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have seen some other LFE devices that were interesting.

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/servoproject/

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

and the vaporware Parthenon by Adire Audio

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM