Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1536 - 03/08/02 08:48 PM Video Problems
Flex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I received my new 1050 today. I connected a pair of Axiom M60ti speakers to the front channels, using Kimber cable, and an Axiom EP350 sub. The 1050 was setting about three inches away from my televison on a Lovan audio rack. I was listening to two channel stereo when I turned the volume up slightly (to 50) and the televison turned on. The receiver was not connected to the TV, VCR, DVD, cable or satellite in any way. I thought "the codes for my television must already be known to this remote." However the tv did not come on when using the power button..it came on when I pushed the volume button of the remote. It wouldn't come on everytime I used the volume button..just about every other time. At this point I didn't think to much of it because I hadn't even programmed the remote yet. The third time this happened I let the tv come all the way on. The picture was totally pincushioned (warped in at the middle on both sides). The distortion was so bad I couldn't see the top or bottoms of the images on screen i.e. an image of a basketball game cut the players off at the shoulders on top and the knees at the bottom. The image quality was also very poor when it used to be great. I went through all my connections on every video channel on my tv and everything was normal. The only differnt factor in the equation was the 1050 sitting next to the tv. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that has set in the exact spot for two years with no problems at all. I moved the 1050 off the rack and into the box it came from so I can send it back to Outlaw. My tv a cn35d90 Toshiba (35 inch tube) is still damaged. I have turned it off for hours, unplugged it, plugged it back in and done everything I can do but the image distorion and damage is still there. I've called Outlaw three times and left messages but its been seven hours now and no return call. Needless to say I am very unhappy with the 1050 and will return it asap. I bought it based upon the reviews I read and, for me, it looks like it was a mistake. I hope the tv repair bills aren't very much.

#1537 - 03/09/02 01:33 AM Re: Video Problems
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
That's very strange... My 1050 sits right next to my JVC set, and has for months, with no problem whatsoever. Seems like an odd thing for the 1050 to cause. Are you sure there is nothing else you may have overlooked?

#1538 - 03/09/02 02:25 AM Re: Video Problems
Flex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

The 1050 is the only thing that changed in my setup. I've disconnected and reconnected everything twice. The receiver or its remote must be creating some kind of interference. The volume key on the remote still turns my tv on. The 1050 was not connected to anything but my speakers and sub. The receiver, sub and tv were all on the same surge protector. That is connected to a 20 amp breaker if it was overloaded the breaker would have shut off. Even that wouldn't cause a distorted picture. I've tried everything I know.

#1539 - 03/09/02 03:19 AM Re: Video Problems
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Weird. Oh, did your warranty expire yesterday? Sorry, bad joke at your expense, just couldn't quite help it. Don't know what to tell ya. Have you poked around or talked to Toshiba at all? Maybe the set has an "undocumented feature" that caused the problem.

Good luck in whatever course of action you choose.

#1540 - 03/09/02 06:10 AM Re: Video Problems
Digital Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Las Vegas NV
The Outlaw pincushioned your Toshiba? Very unlikely. If the only thing wrong is that it is pincushioned that can be VERY easily fixed in about 20 seconds in the service menu of your TV. If your warranty has expired already then use the service menu to fix it. You'll have to find the code to get into the menu first. I have a Toshiba also. I have pincusioned the screen before just messin around with the service controls, it reverts back to normal once the values are set back to default.

[This message has been edited by Digital (edited March 09, 2002).]

#1541 - 03/09/02 08:16 PM Re: Video Problems
Flex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I accessed the service menu. It didn't help. Picture is still distorted and pin-cushioned. Maybe a board in the tv is bad or a transformer on the 1050 wasn't insulated very well.

#1542 - 03/10/02 06:48 PM Re: Video Problems
psklenar Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern New England, USA
Flex,

*Very* odd. For a while (say 2 weeks in May of 2000 when I first receiveed my 1050 & until I rearranged my rack) I had my 1050 on Lovan rack under my Toshiba CZ36V51 (36") TV. The TV was centered on the rack and the 1050 was on the right hand side of the shelf immediately below the TV. The top of the power supply side of the 1050 was maybe 5 to 6 inches below the TV. I had no problems. My TV is still working just fine.

I'm not sure how the remote codes differ between my CZ36V51 & your CN35D90, but I've had no inadvertant activations. It's definitely not something inherent in the 1050 nor in the combination of a 1050 & large Toshiba direct view TVs.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles though & I hope things work out.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

#1543 - 03/11/02 09:53 AM Re: Video Problems
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I've heard of electronic equipment causing distortion in TVs, but never of the permanent variety... My cell phone, if placed near the TV, will cause all sorts of spectacular effects when it rings, but that goes away the instant I move the phone away from the TV.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#1544 - 03/11/02 02:25 PM Re: Video Problems
Flex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for all your help everyone! Outlaw emailed me back and said the 1050 shares an obscure code with a few late model Toshiba direct views. Somehow it does strange things to the video settings in the service menu. These settings are permant until I go in and change them back. This happens everytime I turn on the receiver. The only authorized Toshiba servicer in my area, charged me $50 and said he was going to have to take the set into the shop and that it would be another $300 to fix it! I am trying to reset the video values myself in the service menu but its VERY tricky. I don't know what the values were supposed to be in the first place and there are approx. 75 of them. Unfortunately the 1050 is going to do this to my tv everytime I use it, so its far to big a hassel to keep it. However, the 1050 is a great value for the money and I would suggest it to anyone who doesn't own my model television. I would like to thank everyone at Outalw and its forum for their help.

#1545 - 03/11/02 02:54 PM Re: Video Problems
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Yike. That's an unusual conflict. I'm just glad to hear that an explanation was found and no permanent damage was done. Best of luck to you on getting your set back on track!

------------------
Gonk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM