Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15244 - 06/22/05 12:31 AM Some questions regarding output volume
Bogie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis
A friend and I have "close" to the same system (it's easier to not have to learn remotes, cuz it seems that we both spend too much time at each others' houses...).

We're both feeding a receiver's preamp section (Denon 2803) into a stack of amplifiers. My bud has a buncha Phase Linears, and I'm running Haflers. He's got Cerwin Vegas, and I have some Infinities. He's using a Denon DVD/SACD/Cooks breakfast for you disk player, and I've got a Sony.

Thing is, he's a drummer.

We've reached a point with his system. Can't really get it LOUD enough. I mean, push the buttons/turn the big knob/whatever, and it reaches a point where it won't do anything else. I'm guessing 105/110ish db. You can still _sort of_ carry on a conversation. And he wants Who/Ramones/old Pink Floyd volume. He's a drummer.

His old preamp (multichannel, but didn't do 5.1 or DTS) would downright PEG the needles on the Pflame Linear amps' VU meters. This thing barely makes 'em twitch. It's like it wants you to keep from hurting yourself.

What do people with large rooms do with these things? Besides buy _very_ efficient speakers? I mean, he's got over 2,000 watts to throw at the Cerwin Vegas, not counting the sub amp... It's like the amps aren't being told to get out there and uncork some... It's like the preamp is trying to "protect" you.

So... He bought an Arcam AVR-300 on Saturday. We plugged it in. The volume started to get to TV watching levels around 85-90, and then we couldn't turn it past 100. Plus it didn't have a switched outlet to run the relay that turns on his amps...

He took it back this evening.

So, the question - Will one of Outlaw's preamps (figuring 990) give him some volume? The amps are functional, and the wires work fine - we retested with the old multichannel.

#15245 - 06/22/05 05:23 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
sounds like an input sensitivity issue to me.like maybe the amps are meant to do full power with 4 volts and the pre-amp only puts out 2 volts.something to that effect.first thing i'd do(you probably already have) is see if there are input trim controls on the amps.next check specs(max output voltage for pre-amp)(then something like 200 watts at 4v input for the amp).someone may come along that can help more than me(at least explain it better). are the amps for pro sound?i remember years ago when i was running sound for a local band and during break i would have to max out gains across the board to get a little volume from a tape deck!
what amps are you using?this could help for a definite answer about using a 990.

#15246 - 06/22/05 05:29 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i did read that the arcam has 3.5v max out,which SHOULD be enough to drive any home amp.let me know the model # of the amps and we'll see what we come up with.

#15247 - 06/23/05 12:13 AM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
Bogie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

He's running a pair of Phase Linear 400s and a pair of Phase Linear 700s... 1970s vintage bulletproof stuff that will break your foot if you drop it. They can also double as welders.

http://www.phaselinearhistory.com/amplifiers.htm

With his old "non digital" pre 5.1/DTS preamp receiver, he could peg the VU meters, and guarantee that the cops would show up.

#15248 - 06/23/05 06:21 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
painttoad Offline
Desperado

hmmmm.

#15249 - 06/23/05 06:30 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
painttoad Offline
Desperado

why don't you send an email to the guy with the spec sheets?looks like an expert.see what he has to say.

i have no idea why the arcam won't drive the amps.

maybe someone else will step in to help out.

unless there is user error,if the pre-out of a receiver and the output of a $3k pre-pro won't drive them,i don't see where a $1k pre-pro would have an edge.
confused confused

what kind of 'old' preamp is it,anyway?

joe

#15250 - 06/23/05 07:46 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
Bogie Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I thing what he was using was either a Yammie or a HK... Pre 5.1 stuff tho...

All I know is that I combed the manual, and we've plugged and unplugged, and it's like new stuff that shows numbers for volume won't make the meters more than twitch... His old pre doesn't do 5.1, DTS, etc., but it'll purely bury the needles on the VU meters.

#15251 - 06/23/05 08:59 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
painttoad Offline
Desperado

you have tampered with the gains on the amps right?dumb question,but it must be asked.

#15252 - 07/11/05 11:50 PM Re: Some questions regarding output volume
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
I have a Phase Linear 400 sitting in my closet, but when it was used for the rear channel it worked well with the 950. I am sure it would run fine on a 990. With 5.1 system you need to calibrate the pre/pro to your amps/speakers to get the proper sound output. If you want the loudest sound from the system, and you have all full range speakers, then 5 channel stereo is your ticket. Also, 110 dB is ear plug time for me. I rarely play my system that loud, and you may find that the room will fight you as the sound starts to cancel itself out. I know in my room, with levels that high, it is actually louder outside the room then in it.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts