Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#15112 - 05/25/05 07:11 PM calibration
BrettCottel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ceres, CA USA
Hey Guys, I have a Samsung 61" DLP, outlaw 950/7100 & Klipche + a LFM1......
After reading all of the opinions recommending professional calibration of the system on this site, I was hope to spend the $ on DVD's or something instead. I am being quoted $350 to $450 to calibrate the system & just wonder if I could cheap out & get a sound & vision Cd to calibrate or do I actually have to fork over that kind of money? What do you think....I love the way the system looks and sounds now so just wondering if it is worth the money?
Thanks Brett
Klipschorn front R
Klipsch Belle front left
Kilpsch Cornwall II's rear
Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds
Outlaw LFM-1
64" Samsung Plasma 8500
Amazon off air receiver
MX 850 Remote
Zappiti NAS RIP
Zappiti pro 4K HDR

#15113 - 05/25/05 07:54 PM Re: calibration
E'pin Sen Ob Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
If you do decide to drop the coin on a pro make sure you really get someone who knows your type of television . Don't get some trunk slammer who does this kind of thing on the side or you could wind up with real problems .
The benefit of a true pro is clear with all the test and specialized gear they bring to the table . You will not find all of what a pro can offer in a set-up disc like sound and visions . But, hiring a pro leaves you out of the loop . Which I think is possibly the most important aspect in tweaking YOUR SYSTEM . You are the one that has to watch it . I say get a disc and enjoy the tweaking process .
There are several good disc out there to choose from which enable you to make substantial improvements yourself . Enjoy !

MY HOME THEATER PICTURES http://community.webshots.com/user/bonesnipe

#15114 - 05/26/05 03:42 PM Re: calibration
dutch Offline
Gunslinger

Brett, I have a different TV, a Toshiba 61h71. It is rear projection. I used Video Essentials to calibrate my tv/ Thought I had done a decent job. Problem came with a movie we were watching.
The Hulk, the night scenes, we couldn't see anything except for blurrs or fleeting images.
I got on the internet looking for someone with SIF credentials. Found one that had experience with my set. He booked the job for 3 hours and actually spent 5. what they will do is adjust the
temp of the red, blue and green guns. They are set high at the factory b/c most stores have poor viewing areas, lots of reflection, etc.
My guy adjusted the temps, set the grey scale, convergence, blacker than black. Cleaned the inside, [amazing how dusty they get in short order] set the guns aglignment. Then he even worked on my dvd players profgressive scan. he set all this up in a menu for me, mine has menu for sports, movies, preferrence. We then called up my calibration, no complarison. For me, it was well worth the dollars spent.

Oh, we did watch the Hulk again, absolutely amazing the difference. Can't believe what we probably missed out on with other movies. Video
Essentials tells you on the disk, setting the blacker than black, may not be done on all sets. You maybe able to adjust some, but we obviously couldn't on our set. At least it didn't hold it.
The ohter issue is something called red push, he set it as best he could, I have the printouts from before and after, wasn't as level as he was hoping for, but they can only do so much.
Check the internet for ISF claibration, check and see if any have experience with your type of
TV......good luck, I had great experience and felt the dollars were worth it.
Brett, one other thing, be advised, if a calibration tech tweeks on your set, it will most likely void any warranty you may have.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts