Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#14688 - 02/10/05 10:42 AM Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I have my computer (with a big collection of mp3) upstairs and my stereo system downstairs. Also have a wireless network.

Is there any device I can buy to provide a wireless receiver with outputs that can be plugged into my Outlaw receiver? Hoping for something with fiber or digital coax out that can let me send my mp3s wireless to play on my stereo?

I have fiber out of my computer, but the only other thing I could think of was to drop a cable from upstairs to downstairs, something of a pain through an exterior insulated wall.

Any thoughts? No practical way for me to locate the computer and the stereo in the same room.

Thanks.

#14689 - 02/10/05 11:06 AM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are a few such devices around. There's the venerable Audiotron , which has been around for at least three or four years now; it would require a wireless bridge to connect to your wireless network. There are also devices like the Linksys WMA11B and Slim Devices Squeezebox that act as wireless interfaces (or wired, since the Squeezebox is available both ways) to shared audio files. These are certainly alternatives to these, but these are the ones that I had handy links to. I experimented with Slim Devices' software a year or so ago and thought it looked pretty nice.

#14690 - 02/10/05 11:42 AM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks!

I did some searching and found one too, just had no idea they were out there. Looking at the DLink DSM 320, wireless g, and in stock right down the street. Know anything about this one?

#14691 - 02/10/05 12:24 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
gonk Offline
Desperado

It looks pretty slick. Nice array of outputs and reasonably priced. If you pick one up, let us know how it works for you.

#14692 - 02/10/05 12:37 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
You know this can be a threat to those selling boutique cables. They may even try to sabotage this technology or come up with tweaks. I can just picture the descriptions on their white paper about how wireless connection is inferior to direct connect and …etc. I may be able to market some kind of paint to put on the wall that rejects radio signals so that your wireless connection can be cleaner. It’s like virus. They mutate and develop resistance to vaccine. Only way for the consumers not to get infected is to keep the immune system strong by staying informed, so please keep the information coming.

Just my 2 cents…

#14693 - 02/10/05 01:08 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
rmeredit Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Parker, Colorado, USA
I've been using an Omnifi DMS1 for the past few months. It is a SLICK unit. It is connected to my wireless net via a Dlink 802.11b usb device. I stream large MP3s for hours on end w/ no hiccups at all. It comes highly recommended from me. As for the linksys one - I had one and it was sh!t.

#14694 - 02/10/05 01:56 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Another candidate (albeit without the benefit of a display and convenient interface at the equipment rack) is the Airport Express . For what it's worth, you can add an IR sensor to allow remote control of iTunes, for an extra $60 .

#14695 - 02/10/05 07:30 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
snowman Offline
Gunslinger

Ok I bought the DLink 320, just started playing around with it. Have just done music so far, no photos or videos but it is NICE. Looks good too (important since it's sitting on top of my entertainment center).

Easy to set up, can do DHCP or assign static IP, supports WEP security. Very simple to get up and running. Interface seems intuitive, supports playlists, play be artist, genre (haven't used this much yet).

Provides fiber, digital coax, s-video, composite and RCA outputs. Supports wireless wired network configuration.

I paid $199 at Best Buy for the things and I'm very glad I bought it. I'll post a more detailed review after I get to play with it a bit.

Back to listening to one of my favorite old MP3s right now...

#14696 - 02/11/05 02:41 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
dengor Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: newtown, pa us
snowman - this looks pretty cool.

how can you see what file is being selected? see what is playing?

Does the DLink have a built-in display, or do you have to have the TV on for display?

#14697 - 02/11/05 02:52 PM Re: Wireless to home stereo -- does this exist?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Check out the manufacturer\'s page for some sample screen shots - there's no front panel display on the unit, but it has a full array of analog video outputs to choose from and looks to have a pretty friendly on-screen interface.

I don't know that I'll be getting a media player any time soon, but this one looks like a very appealing candidate if I were going to.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts