Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14624 - 02/02/05 06:38 PM Re: Tube Amp
Bob045 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
Ok, so I am not really up on tube amplifiers. What is the main benefit of tube amps, ( besides looking very cool indeed). Additionally, why do I always hear that 35 WPC from a tube amp is like 120 WPC from a conventional amp ( or some such statement ).
Smoother transients, warmer sound...? Would someone explain this to me? Please? smile

#14625 - 02/02/05 07:32 PM Re: Tube Amp
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob045:
Ok, so I am not really up on tube amplifiers. What is the main benefit of tube amps, ( besides looking very cool indeed). Additionally, why do I always hear that 35 WPC from a tube amp is like 120 WPC from a conventional amp ( or some such statement ).
Smoother transients, warmer sound...? Would someone explain this to me? Please? smile
Simply to put it, they sound different from solid-state amp. Some people prefer it and some don’t. Do a search on tube amp in “Outlaw to Outlaw” or “Your System Saloon” and you’ll find some info you are looking for. soundhound has written this repeatedly and I think he is getting tired of doing it over again, which I can understand… wink

#14626 - 02/02/05 07:47 PM Re: Tube Amp
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
they are VERY warm ,smooth ,musical.it's been awhile. now instead of being a dime a dozen,they are pretty much exclusive and expensive.although i understand they are not for the BASS heavy,correct me if i'm wrong,but more for upper freq. detail,where a solid state amp should deal with the bass.

#14627 - 02/02/05 08:26 PM Re: Tube Amp
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:
they are VERY warm ,smooth ,musical.it's been awhile. now instead of being a dime a dozen,they are pretty much exclusive and expensive.although i understand they are not for the BASS heavy,correct me if i'm wrong,but more for upper freq. detail,where a solid state amp should deal with the bass.
That's generally true, although the VERY warm part is a bit too much of a generalization. There are in fact many affordable tube amps from companies like Azusa, Jolida and some others.

Generally, tube amps have a lower damping factor than solid state amps which, with conventional speaker systems that use passive crossovers (verses active crossovers and bi-amplification), can cause the low bass to be a bit less controlled than it would otherwise be. This ceases to be an issue with direct-to-amp connections that use active crossovers.

Tube amps use MUCH richer biasing on the output stages which means they run in pure class "A" a good deal of the time verses solid state amps which are in this class for only the lowest output levels. This richer biasing eliminates crossover distortion that is particularly objectionable with very sensitive speakers like my horns.

#14628 - 02/02/05 08:47 PM Re: Tube Amp
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
I grew up listening to a Sherwood 25W monaural amp with an eico tuner through an Electrovoice speaker...when the '70s came, I thought this little thing could't be that loud, smooth and warm...WOW was I wrong...all that through a 15" woofer and tweeter was more than enough then...wish I had paid more attention to tubes...I still have his stuff (minus the speaker) and it still works...he bought it in 1956.
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#14629 - 02/02/05 08:54 PM Re: Tube Amp
painttoad Offline
Desperado

well put SH,except:

Tube amps use MUCH richer biasing on the output stages which means they run in pure class "A" a good deal of the time verses solid state amps which are in this class for only the lowest output levels.

i don't totally understand class a,ab,d(more efficient for bass,i understand)..now what class e?seems like i can google all day long,but till you explain it in simple terms,it's VERY hard to grasp all this info!! confused wink

#14630 - 02/02/05 09:28 PM Re: Tube Amp
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The various classes of amplifier operation have nothing to do with the bass, but rather the efficiency of the output stage. Class "A" is the least efficient but is the most immune to crossover distortion and consequently sounds the best, especially with efficient (and revealing) speakers. Pure class "A" means that each tube or transistor is operating over the entire cycle of the audio wave. Class "A/B" which is what most solid state amps use and what many tube amps use, operates with both "halves" of the output stage together at low levels and splits them at higher levels. The difference in tube amps is degree - they allow the two halves of the output stage to operate together over a wider output wattage range before they split and one half covers the upper "half" of the cycle and the other half covers the other "half" of the cycle.

This is probably a very confusing explanation, but it is the best I can do right now....

#14631 - 02/02/05 09:54 PM Re: Tube Amp
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:

This is probably a very confusing explanation, but it is the best I can do right now....
work on it dude,i expect a very in depth explanation of power amp types from you! laugh

thanks SH!let me absorb some,i'll ask more soon!

#14632 - 02/03/05 02:13 PM Re: Tube Amp
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Try yahoo or google search on this subject and you’ll find many sites on how amplifiers work.

#14633 - 02/03/05 07:51 PM Re: Tube Amp
Az Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta GA
Quote:
Originally posted by soundhound:
The various classes of amplifier operation have nothing to do with the bass, but rather the efficiency of the output stage.

I thought it was a great explanation, but then again I already understood.

Of course, you can simply try listening to some tubes and see what you think...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts