Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14285 - 11/15/04 12:24 AM Re: static electricity
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
uhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
haven't come off the money for the remote.
bought it all used.
and if i told you what i paid......
way low!!!!!!!

i know $65+

i gotta deal!
should just buy a remote, but.....

#14286 - 11/15/04 12:46 AM Re: static electricity
painttoad Offline
Desperado

by the way, that was a vmr-654 6 channel amp
don't wanna confuse anybody.
b & k basically has told me this amp does/does not exist
my dealer contacted b & k and was told the same!
nobody knows nothin'
how 'bout you guys?

#14287 - 11/15/04 12:24 PM Re: static electricity
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Interesting thread. This does sound like a low humidity condition primarily. We were up near Peoria over the weekend (Champaign-Urbana, specifically, just a ways down the road), and the weather was definitely conducive to low relative humidity inside. As Frank Z recommends, a humidifier (particularly a unit-mounted model) controlled by a humidistat in the return duct can definitely help with this during the winter months, particularly in regions with more substantial winters - I doubt many residences in the southeast have them, but areas like Colorado and Illinois are a different story. We have actually begun using humidifiers in a few commercial buildings (mounted in the air handlers) for the sake of occupant comfort with a setpoint of 35% RH. Also as Frank Z says, you don't need or want to be running the humidifier in the cooling season - at that point, your AC unit is already trying to eliminate moisture from the airstream and adding moisture not at all a good idea.

#14288 - 11/15/04 06:41 PM Re: static electricity
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i have been researching through other stereo guys around and gotten some suggestions:

1. connect a ground lead between the 1050 and amp to prevent a spike through the rca's...
2. a coffee can full of water on top of the furnace...
3. run a vaporizer for a short time in another room,on another circuit...i like this idea best for a cheap fix....

'tis gonna be the season shortly with family comin' over and i am gonna wanna show off my newest pride and joy, it would be pretty embarassing to say "check this out" and have them kevlar cones flying out of the cabinets.(it probably would be cool,i have yet to launch a cone)(but not my b & w's)

maybe i can drop hints and somebody will buy me a remote for christmas....

what do you guys think about these ideas?

#14289 - 11/15/04 08:41 PM Re: static electricity
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Ummm ... have you tried approaching your gear with your shoes off? Dunno about the socks laugh

#14290 - 11/15/04 10:11 PM Re: static electricity
painttoad Offline
Desperado

been zapped in socks and shoes both

#14291 - 11/15/04 11:28 PM Re: static electricity
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
how about a stick to turn it on? a dowel cant cost much, since you are too cheap for a re-mo-te.

#14292 - 11/16/04 12:04 AM Re: static electricity
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ohhhh, that's nice!
i just got done scrubbing my keyboard down so it is still wet, i had to go get my other board to reply.it's not the fact that "i'm too cheap" but the fact that i'm playing with 2 butt kickin'(to me) home systems, putting the finishing touches on the stereo in my s-10(that will beat you half to death)finishing prepping the body so i can lay down a set of ghost flames,lowering it a couple inches,insulating the basement,putting new ext. doors upstairs,plus i have a very bad tool habit, a bad cd habit,definitely smoke too much,have holidays comin up, did i mention that i recently got laid off because the autobody industry here sucks and there is not a lot of work around here.but i am not lazy enough that i can't walk across the room to adjust something.but i do get annoyed sometimes by not having a remote for the 1050 because i have remotes for everything else that is remote controlled, even the head unit in my truck and that's only a foot away.......

#14293 - 11/16/04 02:47 AM Re: static electricity
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
ah the conveniences of modern ingenuity.

#14294 - 11/16/04 07:51 AM Re: static electricity
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
As for the second idea (coffe can full of water on the furnace), my in-law's do something similar with a wood-burning stove in their living room - they leave a tea kettle of water on top of the stove in the winter, and the heat helps evaporate the water slowly and act as a humidifier. Depending on the way your house is conditioned, though, it may not work in all cases: most forced air furnaces have the heater near the bottom of the unit, so there isn't much heat passed through the top of the unit to warm up the coffee can. It would work for a boiler in a steam or hot water radiator system.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts