Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14220 - 11/11/04 12:56 PM Re: DVD Players
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
Boy, that article that Gonk links to sure makes it sound like DVI isn't the way to go. I'm guessing that the 1070 is too far down the road to change now though.

#14221 - 11/11/04 01:12 PM Re: DVD Players
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There is a bit of an issue with HDMI-to-DVI conversion and black levels, but otherwise DVI and HDMI are effectively interchangeable. DVI also has a larger installed base - DVI-equipped sets have been on the market in pretty significant numbers for a couple years.

#14222 - 11/11/04 02:25 PM Re: DVD Players
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
I have used HD cable as long as it has been out in this area, not too long ago i got a box with dvi and component hd output. I have a/b compared the video quality of dvi and component watching HD and see no difference. I have a rear projection tv though, and dvi is alleged to make a larger difference on pixel based displays... I have also a/b these at other places on lcd projection and couldnt tell any difference either, but didnt have enough time to emphatically claim that dvi was no better.

Further, I have used/demoed "upconverting" dvi output dvd players and when compared to component, I always saw component as being better.

Right now I am using DVI from the cable box and component from my dvd. Mostly because using DVI frees up another component input on my tv.

I have top of the line monster cable.

Interestingly I also have the top of the line monster "hd" s-video that I use when watching regular tv from the hd box, and when I watch hd through the s-video the quality is 95% as good, except if the images are moving quickly or viewing something like grass.

#14223 - 11/11/04 02:27 PM Re: DVD Players
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

I give dvi this though, it is an easier connection to secure and is only one cable. I have very limited experience with HDMI, but seems like its connection is inferior. Once every connection (a/v) is done through one cable, that technology will explode for better or worse.

#14224 - 11/12/04 02:52 AM Re: DVD Players
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
HDMI is the future folks. It has already been adopted as an industry standard digital connection, carrying audio and video signals in the digital domain at 5gbps. It has a huge bandwidth advantage over analog interconnects, making it futureproof. HDMI and DVI-D are both superior to component/composite/S-video connections WHEN used on a digital display device (eg. plasma, LCD, DLP). If you are currently using a CRT based display device then a digital connection through DVI-D or HDMI will make no difference in picture quality as the CRT converts the digital signal back to analog before displaying it.

That said, back to DVD players. After doing a lot of research and reading reviews, I'm currently leaning towards the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi. I was sort of set on one of the new Denon models until I read Incognito's review about the audio being "bright" on his 2910. I read other reviews that favored the Pioneer's audio over the new Denons. I'm probably going to wait until I'm back from CES 2005 before I make a purchase though. I want to see first hand what's in the pipeline for next year.

#14225 - 11/13/04 01:39 AM Re: DVD Players
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i used to be a big fan of p. elite, but they have slipped way down in recent years. got rid of my several thousand dollar elite dvd player, and got a denon for couple hundred, and i am as happy as a pig in poop.

#14226 - 11/13/04 02:14 AM Re: DVD Players
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
curegeorg,
I'm basing my decision on a lot of research on both the Denon 3910 and Pioneer DV59. I'm aware that Denon builds outstanding quality products and that their players get high marks, but all the reviews I read, including some from those fanatical British AV mags, recommended the DV59.

#14227 - 11/13/04 09:10 AM Re: DVD Players
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
Worldwide -
Incog has since decided to keep the Denon 2910.

And I would agree that in his house, the Denon 2910 is brighter than his Pioneer. I think both Incog and Neo would agree, however, when I say that the Pioneer doesn't have much detail at/around reference levels, due to what I consider roll-off at higher frequencies - (which I first attributed to his speakers, but in hindsight seems to be more dependent on his DVD player)

(BY THE WAY, I'm not talking about the DV59-AVi, I'm talking about his Pioneer player-and for the life of me I can't remember the model).

With all that being said, however, I can actually stand listening to the Pioneer at insane volumes (>90db) and not cringe at every high note. But at reference levels, his Denon beats the panny hands down.

---
Caveat: his house, his calibration, my ears, yadda yadda yadda

#14228 - 11/14/04 11:59 AM Re: DVD Players
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
It's the Pioneer 563A (cheapy...but has served me quite well through it's life...) wink

#14229 - 11/14/04 04:58 PM Re: DVD Players
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
And served me quite well when listening to Linkin Park DVD-A at your house. WOW!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts