Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Yeah, it takes that long to install the Bose radio. laugh

#14015 - 10/28/04 11:38 PM Re: Speaker Cable
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Paratrooper:
I think debating the speaker wire thing is like debating what came first, the chicken or the egg.
It goes on forever ... I spent my coins on a new Ford GT smile
Two words: Dan Gurney.
(Ford GT40 LeMans champion who invented the champagne spray podium celebration)

Let us not forget the value of high quality DC trigger wire. As has been said many times," the system is only as good as the weakest link." This often overlooked connection deserves the same quality audiophile grade interconnects to insure true high fidelity.

Make sure you use gold plated 3.5mm mono mini-plugs. The wire specs should include using a shielded, high strand count, ultra-low oxygen copper wire with professional grade crimped terminations. Try to keep the length to a practical minimum to avoid unnecessary interference. An investment that will bring enormous dividends to you and your family.

Allan eek

#14016 - 10/29/04 11:20 AM Re: Speaker Cable
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by AGAssarsson:

Make sure you use gold plated 3.5mm mono mini-plugs. The wire specs should include using a shielded, high strand count, ultra-low oxygen copper wire with professional grade crimped terminations. Try to keep the length to a practical minimum to avoid unnecessary interference. An investment that will bring enormous dividends to you and your family.

Allan eek
That’s a valid point. Corrosion resistant coating and solid construction is important. BTW, how much should a 3 foot cable like that cost? I’d say around $ 10 each. What gets me is why some companies charge 3 times as much for same kind of product.

#14017 - 10/29/04 02:23 PM Re: Speaker Cable
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiker:
how much should a 3 foot cable like that cost? I’d say around $ 10 each.
When the quantity of a product in a typical system is so low, as in the case of DC Trigger wire, I believe cost should not be an object.

I hope someone has the expertise to give us a DIY solution that will help keep the cost under $100. Have a nice day...

#14018 - 11/16/04 08:59 AM Re: Speaker Cable
NormanB Offline
Gunslinger

I recently changed my main L/R and CC speaker wire from Monster XP to AudioQuest Type 6 with bi-wire for the mains. I noticed a difference ritht away. The highs were smoother and the mid range was fuller. Maybe I'm full of it, but to me it was worth the money.

#14019 - 11/21/04 03:35 PM Re: Speaker Cable
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Without venturing into the debate over how much difference can be made by one cable or another, I just wanted to relate a simple experience I had the other day that showed me how difficult it would be for me to do a fair A/B comparison in my own setup:

I moved an inch or two.

I was driving for several hours the other day and I happened to have my ears/brain in ‘analytical mode’ as I was listening to some music I enjoy. In the midst of trying to critically listen to the way the music sounded in the car compared to the same music played on my home system, I sat up a bit. The positioning of my ears was raised one or two inches relative to the inside of the car. There was a noticeable difference in my perception of the ratio of different frequency ranges within the music had to one another. In the parlance of audio-speak, I would say that some parts of the upper mid-range filled in and that the bass was better defined … yet I had changed nothing about the system itself or the level at which the music was playing back.

If I were in my home, and had changed cables, then sat down for comparative listening with my ears as much as an inch or two displaced from where they were previously, my comparison of the two sets of cables would be flawed. This doesn’t take into account anything else that my have changed in the environment, or my sinuses, or any number of other variables that went unnoticed, while I was changing from one set of cables to the other.

This is one reason why, in my mind, people can honesty relate their experiences and yet sometimes not be able to offer truly valid information about the performance of one cable compared to another. I think that subjective comparisons fall short unless there is a sufficiently large number of blind, independent samples that are in agreement by a large majority. Yet, for subjective comparison within my own system, I have only my own flawed perceptions to go by. Se la vie?

#14020 - 11/21/04 08:11 PM Re: Speaker Cable
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
hence the need for testing equipment and microphones... muhahah.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts